Why become a member? ×

December Composition Competition

charic

^ Didn't Edison (or was it Einstein) say that productivity is "1% inspiration and 99% perspiration"?

Personally I prefer the wise words of Yoda: "Do or do not... there is no try!"

Seriously though Rob, I hope you get round to it mate. I'm struggling myself - I've got an idea but it's a fiddly one and I have little time this month. Still, I'll definitely be cooking something up ;)

Edited by Skol303

I saw a few posts about not getting any inspiration from the pictures for these competitions.

I think the pictures should fire your imagination, your music comes from YOU, not the picture itself. Of course if you want to win the competition based on an assumption that there will be basic common interpretations that voters will identify with, and be impressed by your very literal compositional and stylistic interpetation (Fat / Drunk / Asleep / Humiliated / Christmas .. etc) you are probably going to have a very hard time with that, and you are playing to the picture and the voters.

What I think is the most useful technique is to create a story behind the picture to fuel your own compositional imagination. The problem lies in that I believe most of the entrants would naturally like to win, and so they may be predisposed to thinking of what criteria the voters are skewed towards, this is highly limiting creatively, and not the purpose of the picture. Or at least not to my mind.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354800895' post='1890534']
I saw a few posts about not getting any inspiration from the pictures for these competitions.

I think the pictures should fire your imagination, your music comes from YOU, not the picture itself. Of course if you want to win the competition based on an assumption that there will be basic common interpretations that voters will identify with, and be impressed by your very literal compositional and stylistic interpetation (Fat / Drunk / Asleep / Humiliated / Christmas .. etc) you are probably going to have a very hard time with that, and you are playing to the picture and the voters.

What I think is the most useful technique is to create a story behind the picture to fuel your own compositional imagination. The problem lies in that I believe most of the entrants would naturally like to win, and so they may be predisposed to thinking of what criteria the voters are skewed towards, this is highly limiting creatively, and not the purpose of the picture. Or at least not to my mind.
[/quote]
Good point, but quite the opposite as far as i'm concerned. I couldn't care less about winining. Fortunately i'm arrogant enough not to need validation by others. ha ha ;) :P B) You will see in how far removed from classic conventions my piece is. As i've said before, i'll be surprised if i get one vote.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1354833088' post='1891151']
Good point, but quite the opposite as far as i'm concerned. I couldn't care less about winining. Fortunately i'm arrogant enough not to need validation by others. ha ha ;) :P B) You will see in how far removed from classic conventions my piece is. As i've said before, i'll be surprised if i get one vote.
[/quote]
I dunno, I am very competitive, but won't compromise in order to win. I really liked your previous one. But having thought about this a bit, I reckon most people can only relate to the obvious and the winner will have probably a more literal interpretation, probably with a vocal.

'A fat old boy on Christmas eve
Can't drink as much
As he'd have you believe

Had too much and hit the gravel
Going down faster
Than Jimmy Savile

etc etc etc ... '

:D

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1354873685' post='1891393']... maybe we should push it to day after boxing day because I won't be at a laptop until then I expect[/quote]

Sounds fair to me mate.

I've had to abandon my original idea this month - I was planning on producing a track using nothing but samples of Skol Jnr's musical toys, but I won't have the time to do it with us being on a tour of various relatives over Xmas. Sooo... I'm instead going with 'Plan B', which sees me throwing recent songwriting out the window and returning to my grimey, electronic roots with a track that most folks here will probably hate with a passion (it's going to be a newfangled dubstep number, so "not proper music" in most people's opinion).

Doesn't get more festive than that, does it?? Bah humbug ;)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354840907' post='1891251']
I dunno, I am very competitive, but won't compromise in order to win. I really liked your previous one. But having thought about this a bit, I reckon most people can only relate to the obvious and the winner will have probably a more literal interpretation, probably with a vocal.

'A fat old boy on Christmas eve
Can't drink as much
As he'd have you believe

Had too much and hit the gravel
Going down faster
Than Jimmy Savile

etc etc etc ... '

:D
[/quote]
Well that wins my vote. Just get facebook on your side and its yours. ha ha.

Usually i'm ridiculously competitive, sport, games etc but when it comes to music i'm just not. Perhaps it really is arrogance.

So here it is, my entry for this months competition. There is a description of the idea and process on the soundcloud page. It has some structure and some elements of aleatoric composition. No harmony and counterpoint this month, tho there are some vocals. It will be interesting to see what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/dreaded-ted/degeneration-of-the-penis

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1354914316' post='1892081']
So here it is, my entry for this months competition. There is a description of the idea and process on the soundcloud page. It has some structure and some elements of aleatoric composition. No harmony and counterpoint this month, tho there are some vocals. It will be interesting to see what you think!

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dreaded-ted/degeneration-of-the-penis"]https://soundcloud.c...on-of-the-penis[/url]
[/quote]

yep, like that, it's a great start to this months comp.

My contribution is progressing, I'll hopefully get chance to significantly move things along with it on Sunday; mine won't be festive either

Song structure created and lyrics down, but I can't even play the guitar riff I came up with lol, so have had to adapt it for a piano sound in Reason. It's actually worked out a lot better though and gives it more of seasonal theme and adds to the pathos. Still working on it but should be done in time. :-)

It is quite exciting being in at the start of the thinking process of these competitions , seeing how they develop , hearing the teasers and what comes from them.
I REALLY hope to contribute at some point , but there are a couple of things I need to sort first , like ......... writing , playing and recording , but hey, I might miss Decembers comp but I have a couple of days leave at Christmas/ new year to get ready for January :lol:

Best of luck all , I look forward to the listening to the entries

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1355390546' post='1897602']
I did start and then dismissed it as crap :lol:
[/quote]

Never dismiss anything as crap - I did, but BrandAlliance TV had other ideas
Their sound designer added a bell tree at the intro - and all ended well... :lol:
Advert the other side of the pond just before this Xmas.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbeBx9jeCbM[/media]

Garry

Edited by lowdown