Why become a member? ×

A lightweight backup head to go with a barefaced super 12

jackers

Hey all,

I have decided to get a BF super 12, and am toying with the idea of picking up a backup, lightweight head for when I can't get my landmark 300 to gigs.

I have a few ideas in my head, and was wondering what people thought, and if there are any more they would suggest.

1) Orange Terror Bass
2) Ampeg PF-500
3) TC RH450

I would ideally like something that would sound similar to the SVT-ishness of my landmark. It doesn't have to sound the same, but it does need to have that aggressive driven edge.

Cheers

I'd add the GK MB800 - the FET preamp of this model does drive a bit, but mainly, it's a very loud amp! My ole Markbass F1's couldn't keep up and I used the GK when it's not convenient to use the Hartke Kilo - which sadly, despite being a massive 1KW, is neither small or 2Kg! Lol

The PF-500 is a nice amp, as is OTB, no experience of the RH450 but have had a Classic450, and that was good. The most versatile will probably be the RH, if it`s like the Classic - will do a very good version of most sounds. So a portable, lightweight backup that can also cover sounds other than your usual.

Whereas if you only ever use the same Ampeg type sound, well the PF is great for this. OTB also, but a tad bigger.

I'm in an old school rock band, so grindy ampeg is definitely my main stomping ground. Might have to try and pick up a PF or OTB and see how it goes, another attraction of those 2 is that they are quite cheap secondhand, which is useful for a backup. Thanks for the other suggestions too :)

As people have mentioned, if you have a Sansamp and VT, your tone is there in those pedals anyway - your choice of head isn't so critical if you want to use the pedals. If you want the sound without the pedals, you might have to choose a bit more carefully.

I was after the sound you're looking for, and used a Sansamp with a LMIII for a while, which sounded good, but I was looking for a pedal-less solution, so I bought a RH450 which was good, and had lots of bells and whistles built-in, but eventually, after going through several other heads (I thought the PF500 was a bit, well, meh, and the OTB is great if you like its sound, but a bit bigger), I've settled on a Streamliner 900. Valvey, light and loud, and worth considering.

Oh, and the Super 12 is a great cab.

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1353060049' post='1871003']
Dont forget the SVT 7, that is lightweight (Class D), and should sound like an SVT!
[/quote]

Oh yeah, forgot this one - had one for a few weeks: yep, does sound like an SVT (although the 15db pad input kills the tone - use with passive basses and it's fine) but it's an odd shape and size: 15" wide (nearly rack-width, too big for most gig bags) and 15lbs, even though it's a Class D hybrid. It kinda bugged me that they shoulda either shrunk it down to the Shuttle/LM/Streamliner size, or made it a 19" rackmount and maybe put a couple of extra features in. Very loud, tho.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1353076733' post='1871357']
Oh yeah, forgot this one - had one for a few weeks: yep, does sound like an SVT (although the 15db pad input kills the tone - use with passive basses and it's fine) but it's an odd shape and size: 15" wide (nearly rack-width, too big for most gig bags) and 15lbs, even though it's a Class D hybrid. It kinda bugged me that they shoulda either shrunk it down to the Shuttle/LM/Streamliner size, or made it a 19" rackmount and maybe put a couple of extra features in. Very loud, tho.
[/quote]

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm tempted by one though. I thought they came with rack ears actually.

Personally I found the OTB 1000 far too bass light when I plugged it into my Super Twelve T, especially when compared alongside the number of other lightweight heads I've tried with it, but it's not really designed for generating the fat punchy slap friendly tone I prefer. Saying that the OTB1000 with my Ashdown 4 x 10 sounded great, but that cab is waaaaaay heavier than my Super Twelve T so don't like to use it now especially as I can lift the STT over my head with ease in comparison and it's much louder :)

thanks for all the awesome replies guys! this place is amazing.

I have been doing some reading up on the PF series and it doesn't sound like they will offer what I'm after. The SVT-7 looks interesting, although the size is a little confusing.

Ideally I would like something to give my the SVT ish sound I like without having to carry around extra cables or boxes.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1353026761' post='1870825']
Check out the Aguilar TH500.
[/quote]

+1
I actually tested out the amps you mentioned.
Was personally blown away by the TH500.

It's now on my "to buy" list. The Ampeg and Orange are no longer. The TC wasn't bad.

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1353025011' post='1870814']
I'm in an old school rock band, so grindy ampeg is definitely my main stomping ground.
(...)
[/quote]

Mesa Boogie, the WA may be underpowered if you want clean sound but if you don't mind cranking the gain and get the valve goodness it'll come alive and get seriously loud!

All the other opinions i've read are also good, i haven't seen a mention to the GB Streamliner, it could be another great option.

After you get the S12 drop me a line on FB, i would like to hear your thoughts about it.

Cheers