Why become a member? ×

would any of you use a tutor who doesn't even own a bass?

Inca

In my looooooooooooooooong hunt for a bass tutor i went for a lesson a week ago, tutor takes me through to the room we shall be playing in with only 2 small guitar amps and his 2 cheap (unnamed) guitars and proceeds to try to tutor me bass whilst using his guitar.

he knows no modern music, gave me nothing to have acheived by the next lesson and lifted £20 off me

Gave me a sob story (i am a sucker) so i rebook a next lesson!! but i have nothing to learn for it, he covered all stuff i already know and all we basically did was i played a bassline (song of his choice) whilst he played guitar and sang over it (felt exactly like a pub jam but without the beer and fun)

[b]ok everyone what i want to know - is this the best tutor i am going to find?[/b]

i have been turned down over the phone by 2 other tutors for being a girl and for being too old (27!!!) apparently my small girls hands will mean its too hard to teach me

Help - should i get rid of this tutor and carry on looking or keep forking out £20 a pop?

[quote name='Inca' post='195994' date='May 10 2008, 02:34 PM']In my looooooooooooooooong hunt for a bass tutor i went for a lesson a week ago, tutor takes me through to the room we shall be playing in with only 2 small guitar amps and his 2 cheap (unnamed) guitars and proceeds to try to tutor me bass whilst using his guitar.

he knows no modern music, gave me nothing to have acheived by the next lesson and lifted £20 off me

Gave me a sob story (i am a sucker) so i rebook a next lesson!! but i have nothing to learn for it, he covered all stuff i already know and all we basically did was i played a bassline (song of his choice) whilst he played guitar and sang over it (felt exactly like a pub jam but without the beer and fun)

[b]ok everyone what i want to know - is this the best tutor i am going to find?[/b]

i have been turned down over the phone by 2 other tutors for being a girl and for being too old (27!!!) apparently my small girls hands will mean its too hard to teach me

Help - should i get rid of this tutor and carry on looking or keep forking out £20 a pop?[/quote]

That's absolutely terrible - if I were you I'd cancel the next lesson because it's a huge waste of your money... I can't believe you're being turned down for those other reasons; sounds plain unprofessional to me - I'm sure you can find a tutor with a better attitude here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=26"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=26[/url]
Failing that, I think you're better off learning by yourself rather than wasting money or better still, find someone else to jam with!

[quote name='dlloyd' post='196001' date='May 10 2008, 02:49 PM']Under no circumstances should you or anyone else use any of those three 'tutors'.

You would be a lot better off travelling further for a lesson from a bass player once every month or so.

The guy who thinks your hands are too small is an idiot, and the guy who says you're too old knows that adults will quickly spot that he's not a good teacher.[/quote]

Absolutely agree with this. There is nothing as good as a good encouraging coach...HOWEVER...

A bad one can do more damage in one session then a good one can ever achieve.

Inca, there is some amazing talent on this forum and I'm sure one of our finest wil be along shortly to suggest someone near you.

I would seriously consider not going back to this 'guy'..... as it sounds like a complete waste of time and money.

Hi Inca,
as has been said, the guys who you've had contact with so far are completely wrong on all counts. I only charge £25 and I have been teaching up to and including university level for ten years. Rochester is a fair old trek from here but I'm sure you could find someone on the east side of London (for no more than I charge) There are guys that have been to Trinity in Greenwich on that side of town. I'll see if I can find anyone for you.
How far would you be willing to travel?
Jake

ps and no, it is certainly not the best you'll find. There are many professional standard bass players who will teach during the week (when they tend to be less busy)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='196010' date='May 10 2008, 03:10 PM']How far would you be willing to travel?[/quote]

I work in bromley so it would be easy enough to go to anyone around there or near there!!

Thank you so much for your help

and thanks everyone for your comments - i was starting to think it was just me

Hi Inca, and +1 to the posts above.

My situation is pretty different from yours (I'm in reasonably Central London and I'm guessing that I'm a fair bit older than you) but my bass teacher is a 25-year-old Norwegian with fluent English. He charges me £25 for 1-hour home lessons and that includes him travelling to my house with his own bass.

He's a qualified musician, with access to the various courses that he has himself completed. Given that I have a clear idea of what I want, he's happy to let me lead; but he has also offered a "proper" training course like I'd get from a college or institute and I know that he can deliver on that.

Maybe Rochester is a micro-climate all of its own, but I doubt it. You should be able to find a compatible teacher nearby at a reasonable price without too much effort.

From your brief description of your first lesson, I'd certainly recommend contacting this guy and telling him that your circumstances have changed, sorry. If you're uncomfortable with that, text or email him.

Good luck.

Hi Inca,
I am with the guys above. that is appalling. Jeez if you are too old at 27, what would that make me at 59?????
I only took up Bass about 18 months ago after playing guitar for some time. My tutor, Nick Carey, is excellent and if you cannot find a solution close to home, (and I am sure you will), Nick is exploring some distance learning over the Internet using web-cams etc.
Sound him out if you him a brick wall.
Cheers,
Stuart

sheesh. thats terrible!
can't believe you are actually getting turned down because you are a girl. i like to think that my having skinny girlish fingers makes them nimble!

definitely keep looking, sounds like you weren't 100% happy, so don't go back.

i'm looking for a new tutor too, as it happens. (previous one was lovely, but lessons were moving way too slowly for me, and the guy was pretty down on a lot of the stuff i love). it should be you turning the tutors down not the other way around imo. [i]you[/i] are paying [i]them[/i].

good luck finding a new one...

x

Cancel the next lesson, for sure. You can get a better tutor than that.

I thought I'd make the worst tutor in the world but at least I'm not sexist or a con artist.

I'm sure there are some good tutors in Kent. Have you had a look through the Bass Tutors forum at the bottom of the main forum page? (EDIT: Just saw you've already posted in there.)

Edited by The Funk

+1 to all of the above. Dump that idiot as soon as you can.

I started having lessons at 43 and my teacher was a graduate of the Bass Institute. He charged £20 per hour to come to me and the lessons lasted more like 1.5 hours. He brought his own laptop with all the relevant teaching software and left me with a pile of pre-prepared notes and homework every week.

As for your hands being too small, that is just utter bollocks. These guys sound like failed guitards who think they can teach bass because it's easy. How can he possibly teach you to improve your technique without a bass of his own. A good proportion of the tutoring should be for him to demonstate on his bass what you need to do.

Edited by AndyMartin

I wouldn't touch any of the three with the wet end of a sh*tty stick. There are good tutors to be found all over the place, or failing that, some great players who'd probably be more than happy to give you some pointers. Keep looking.

Andy

This guy doesn't deserve even 50p of your money so don't go back. Sounds like you've been unlucky enough to find Rochester’s laziest and most incompetent bass tutors, chancers more like. Keep looking; they can't all be like that.

[quote name='Inca' post='195994' date='May 10 2008, 02:34 PM']In my looooooooooooooooong hunt for a bass tutor i went for a lesson a week ago, tutor takes me through to the room we shall be playing in with only 2 small guitar amps and his 2 cheap (unnamed) guitars and proceeds to try to tutor me bass whilst using his guitar.

Help - should i get rid of this tutor and carry on looking or keep forking out £20 a pop?[/quote]

MB1. :)
Please dont waste anymore time with this joker for £20 you could get a self tuition/starter dvd off Ebay and learn more in an afternoon.Small Hands???..... piffle!.........Not all Bass players have hands the size of paddles you can land planes with!.Fill a brown paper bag with dogdirt place it on his doorstep.... light it!...ring the doorbell and run off!.......What a Pompous Twat! :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Have to agree with the above. Please cancel the next lesson and don't waste any more money or damage with that guy. 27 is certainly not to old to learn and the small hands comment is rubbish.

I am sure somebody on here will be able to find you a decent and proper tutor.

"Teaches guitar, also bass".
We've all come across that kind of "teacher". :huh:

Seriously though, take the time to find the right teacher for you. My long experience both as a student and a teacher over 20+ years has been that there are a lot of people that can certainly play but they can't necessarily teach (and that goes for "name" players too). A teacher should have good all-round knowledge of music, be able to read music (forget about tab - if you're going to use it there's no point getting a private teacher), has a solid and comfortable technique, and most importantly that they are open, good-natured and a natural communicator. It would also help if the teacher is aware that due to men and women having different body types (oo-er!) he/she should make sure that the position of your bass is correct and will not cause you back/shoulder/wrist pain in the future. Be wary of teachers that just want to show you licks, or just songs, or do nothing but slap or widdle or who can't express themselves. A good teacher will make you advance much quicker that you would teaching yourself, but a poor teacher will show you a load of their bad habits and gaps in their knowledge that will take years to undo. Finally be aware that a teacher is there merely to open the door to allow you do discover the ideas and inspiration to improve - it's up to you to go through the door and make it happen. If you don't work hard on each lesson's material you're wasting their time and your money :)

Loads of good advice from the folks here!

Re: hand size, it really doesn't matter. If you think about it, it is not unusual to see female double bass players in orchestras, and the neck of a double bass is far longer than that of a bass guitar. If you have small hands, you may have to adopt a double bass technique using fingers 1, 2 and 4 of the left hand, at least for the places on the neck where the frets are furthest apart. A good tutor will advise you on this.

The age thing is also nonsense - in my experience, those who put their heart and soul into playing will achieve, whatever their age.

Jennifer

[url="http://www.jenniferclarkbass.com"]http://www.jenniferclarkbass.com[/url]

Well, it's all been said really. Your tutor is cr*p, and the other two would obviously be worthless. If I taught any instrument I wouldn't turn anyone away who had a heart for learning, regardless of age, sex etc. I just started bass seriously this year myself at the grand old age of 44, not that I'm bothering with a tutor!

Oh yes, and hand size is irrelevant. There's a one armed bass player out there (Youtube!) a one handed guitarist (youtube again!) and Django only used two fretting fingers. If people like that can play then how would small hands be an issue?

That guy you saw sounds like a bit of a joker to me, I'd drop him straight away. My bass teacher, actually taught me with a guitar in his hands and a bass in mine. I found it to be very beneficial, he'd been a session player all his life, guitar and bass, and he was amazingly thorough when it came to theory, right down to the last detail. He'd show me bass scales on the top 4 strings on his guitar and then we used to jam as a bass and guitar duo, so I learnt how to play with another musician from day 1.

[quote name='G-77' post='196170' date='May 10 2008, 06:45 PM']Hi Inca, I think Steve Lawson is in Herne Hill if you are able to get there, [url="http://www.stevelawson.net/wordpress/bass_tuition/"]http://www.stevelawson.net/wordpress/bass_tuition/[/url][/quote]

Steve is a fantastic teacher - well worth it if you can get to him.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote]i have been turned down over the phone by 2 other tutors for being a girl and for being too old (27!!!) apparently my small girls hands will mean its too hard to teach me[/quote]

...when you found these guys, did you see if they were affiliated with any kind of professional body? There ought to be a way of reporting people like that to the MU or the Registry of Guitar Tutors, if they're members...

I've got students as young as 10, and who started in their mid 60s, men, women, boys, girls... Small hands makes no difference at all. If you found it a problem for you personally, there are short scale basses!

As said, I'm in Herne Hill which is fairly easily accessible from Bromley, if you want to come down. If you're interested in finding out more, drop me a private message and you can come and meet me and have a chat for free before deciding if you want to have lessons with me. Coffee's complimentary too :)

Really sorry to hear about your experience - Bass is such a young instrument that there's precious little in the way of established pedagogy for teaching it and understanding what's involved in teaching it. I get SO many students who've had previously dreadful experiences with teachers, there are clearly a lot of people being fleeced by teachers who don't have the technical knowledge and experience with the instrument to teach, and clearly have a terrible attitude that they're projecting onto the students... not good at all,

cheers

Steve