Why become a member? ×

stunning Fender 66 jazz on TB

bubinga5

just thought i would share this... lovely custom colour, matching headstock, amazing condition.... you dont see many like this, if any in this colour.. pity he wont ship international, ive got a spare 12 grand under my bed.. :lol:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-feeler-rare-1966-fender-jazz-bass-100%25-original-custom-color-mhs-binding-dots-932014/#post13436274"]http://www.talkbass....4/#post13436274[/url]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1353083077' post='1871488']
How can you tell it's genuine?
[/quote]knowone buys a Fender for this much without being very very well informed about vintage Fenders.... so anyone who is in his right mind wouldnt try a fake one... this looks totally legit to me.. the fact that he wants to meet in person is another tell tail sign...

That's v nice but I don't like black basses.

There's a dilemma with vintage basses for me - I can see the point of the first production Stingray (another current thread) being this expensive as it's really a museum piece and v interesting (to me at least) with a famous ex owner - but this is a pretty anonymous Fender Jazz that hasn't been played much - OK 45 + years old but is it REALLY worth that much? If a colour came up that I really like I might be more tempted.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1353102236' post='1871761']
That's v nice but I don't like black basses.

There's a dilemma with vintage basses for me - I can see the point of the first production Stingray (another current thread) being this expensive as it's really a museum piece and v interesting (to me at least) with a famous ex owner - but this is a pretty anonymous Fender Jazz that hasn't been played much - OK 45 + years old but is it REALLY worth that much? If a colour came up that I really like I might be more tempted.
[/quote]

Maybe not worth that much, but it's worth a lot. It doesn't need a famous ex-owner to be worth a few quid. Such is Fender.

This looks like the real thing to me . I've never seen another vintage Fender in this colour , and I think it would look even more impressive in the flesh . I do like black basses , and this looks like an interesting alternative . I know the post-2008 American Standard basses were offered in charcoal frost , and I like to think I know my Fenders but I had no idea it was a vintage Fender colour . This looks like one for a serious collector .

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1353235703' post='1872756']
Looks like there was a long transition period then, like everything else fender-esque. I've seen 'May '66 Basses with reverse Klusons, this is the first '65 I've seen with lollipops though. Good spot.
[/quote]
Here's a pic of the very bass in use - this known as the photo was recovered from the case...

Here's two more different ones with the same quirky spec....

Another interesting one brought to my attention recently was an early 69, blocks, binding, large serif logo - but with the logo on[i] top[/i] of the varnish and with the strap button on the rear of the h/s. I'll try and get a pic. sent.

Apologies.... I seem to have hijacked the thread. :blush: