Why become a member? ×

I think Ive had enough.....

merlin

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1352633472' post='1865298']
I bet that taught him a lesson! (not)
[/quote]

Ha ha.

It wasn't just me. The promoter wanted to fire him as well. Funnily enough he didn't pull that stunt again.

We were touring in Germany so we still had to get on but the whole band loaded up the van and left him there about 2 months later.

Not a happy time.

Ouch. That sounds awful, but I think most of us have been in a similar situation to some degree. The question I always come back to in a band is 'am I enjoying doing this?' Because, if the answer is 'no' something has to change. Assuming we play live to spread happiness/good feelings, if we as the musicians aren't feeling good how on earth can we expect an audience (however small) to feel good? There's plenty of good suggestions about the way forward been made already. Good luck!

Edited by Len_derby

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1352633178' post='1865297']
A long time ago I was in the middle of an on stage volume "incident" with an idiot guitarist. It was also his band.

I stopped playing and just stood there looking at him with my arms crossed.
[/quote]

Like it.... :lol: and did it work..?

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1352626652' post='1865200']
Unfortunately it seems to be that we bassists are generally undervalued and often our opinions are ignored.
[/quote]

I think whether your opinions are heard or not depends on your personality and how you carry yourself, more than what instrument you play in the band.
I certainly don't have problems being heard, in three current bands, or in previous bands. I cannot be that lucky...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1352634097' post='1865310']
Ha ha.

It wasn't just me. The promoter wanted to fire him as well. Funnily enough he didn't pull that stunt again.

We were touring in Germany so we still had to get on but the whole band loaded up the van and left him there about 2 months later.

Not a happy time.
[/quote]

We were on tour with a band that dumped a gtr in Athens whilst we all went onto Thessalonika. Literally left him in the hotel room and boarded the bus without him.. The said gtr got wasted the first night, blew the gig and when the beer got talking, we all said sack him... when we got back to Athens a few days later, the gtr was still there and very humble...don't know what he existed on,..hotel..?? money..??
I still feel a bit bad about that even after all these years, when I think about it....and it wasn't even our band... the gtr was in another band on our bill.

I agree with much of what has been said.

A few years ago, I'd have been in the 'give it time' camp. But in the last 18 months, I've really taken a long time to come around to if it's no good, get out. In my experience, if you're not happy, it never gets better!

Life's too short to put up with it. If I couldn't find the right band, I'd rather play alone until something else comes along.....which it always does.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1352646452' post='1865521']
Life's too short to put up with it. If I couldn't find the right band, I'd rather play alone until something else comes along.....which it always does.
[/quote]

Indeed. I think the reason I am now finding myself with people I respect in every way and get along with and have fun etc... is that I learnt to walk. To this day, there is only one band I'm sad I walked out from... and that's only because the music was great... but the band leader was too obsessive for me and I had to walk out. Interestingly, that band lasted another year and a bit going through many member changes, and finally imploded.

"This bass was made for walking..." :P

Hi to all thanks for reading and taking the time out to post,there is some great advice here,I have had words,nice ones of the constructive type,so hopefully things will be sorted,we have two gigs left this year letts hope it all goes well.
Peace and good will to you all..and thanks

Merlin.

• 4 weeks later...

My feeling is that if it isn't working then move on to something new, something better hopefully.
I left my last band by email but that was an amicable way of communication for us all and we parted in good terms.
The band before that i told them at the rehearsal i had enough of them arguing, stopping reherasals because the tone wasn't 100% right and various other time wasting issues. I then followed up with a confirmed txt message to them all.
Good luck no matter how it turns out.

Dave

[size=4][sub]Ya know what? I see a lot of these threads on here and the usual reply is aren't guitarists and drummers w***ers. Quit, i wouldn't take that sh*t etc. But for me part of being in a band is the challenge. Starting off rough and working together to be the best ya can be. It may sound idealistic but it's true. Obviously this doesn't include if it's a professional thing. When i'm in the early stages of a band and after gigs people go oh that was great, i always say it was just ok, until the band gets ultimately slick and in my opinion as good as some as the biggest bands it will always be ok. But like i said part of the fun is ironing things out. Sorting these problems instead of running away from them![/sub][/size]

Sounds like fun to me, at our local at the open mic' night the more fluff's 'n cock ups the better, the crowd like it even more & reserve the biggest applause for the loosest players all in good humour too!

I don't gig, but the post regarding the 'empty pub syndrome' brings some memories back of some of the many groups I've seen. Our local is either full or few, seems no grey area. When a group turns up from all corners of the earth (well county), spends a long time hoofing in gear & rigs it up all this kit & then no one turns up, it must be quite dissapointing to put it mildy.

It often does seem to turn the night into a practice evening for some bands. Maybe the root cause, here? Not an excuse, but possible

Again great comments,and thanks to you all for taking the time,was just thinking of how meny bands have I been in the last 36 years......its....8..the main reasons for leaving said bands was members moving ,married or we just grew appart musically.But now onwards..

Thanks again M.

Funny isn't it. The title struck a chord with me, but I just feel completely jaded. Drummer & I have been exchanging emails about what to do + another project.

Sad thing is the band has been going for a loooooooooong time and we are all mates, Really tight, but gigs have dwindled, mainly because it is/was me & drummer who did the running for them and we have got sick of the uphill struggle of finding gigs, and more to the point the PA that seems to continue to grow and require early in to set up and late out to derig it all. This despite the meeting that was had a few years back. So I am afraid I just have not bothered for next year.

I do wonder whether style wise we have spread ourselves too thin trying to cover loads of bases, but at the end of the day it's still just rock covers. Something has changed in recent years. We have added songs to the set to try to keep fresh, but other than a few people dotted around who enjoy what we do it more often seems to be blank/dead eyed stares.

There are/were three bands in my sig. The main one I am referring to, a prog band that does a gig a year if we're lucky and has just cancelled one of the two r/h planned, and a country band that seems to have gone AWOL. Can't work out if I can care about anything at the mo (not helped by not knowing where I am with the day job). I love to play but to one man & his dog, or complete indifference is sapping me of the will to gig :(

Damn, I was hoping that one day I might be down south (unlikely but you never know) and get to see WalMan's prog covers band, I liked the youtube clips I saw. In fact if I was going to put together my own band I'd be thinking exactly along these lines, maybe with a bit more late 60's psychedelia thrown in. However I'd suspected the audiences just weren't there in numbers and this sadly pretty much confirms it.

Strangely(?) the audiences are there for prog, but getting us all together and syncing diaries for the odd gig is a frickin nightmare.

The three bands are there still. Boats not yet burnt, but having "Upcoming Gigs" followed by three bands and bugger all to report seemed a bit of a waste of space so I deleted it from the sig at least.

I may snap out of this in due course. but at the mo it's all just a bit