Why become a member? ×

5 string gas,is there any going back?

clashcityrocker

Since buying a five string a few months ago, the four hasn't had a look in. Five is better for my band, and as my band is my only musical outlet at the moment, I don't see things changing, unless I need a more old school sound for recording, or old school sound/look for future bands.

Edit. Obviously I'm not saying that all fours sound more old school than fives, but it's true in my case.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1352456537' post='1863221']
When you’re gigging you have to be as good as you can be, and you do that by being comfortable with the instrument you’re playing.

I'd never say never, but as I've been using 5 strings for over 20 years and don’t feel good on a 4 anymore, I don't swap around.

I’d just be causing myself grief by switching between 5’s and 4’s, and anyway you can play everything on a 5 that can be played on a 4.
[/quote]

pretty much the same for me.... 4's don't interest me anymore.and can't see why I would swap back.

[quote name='clashcityrocker' timestamp='1352480264' post='1863684']
Seems there is a trend emerging here.... So all you 5 string converts,any temptation for 6 string,as if one string made you convert surely 2 extra is the way forward?!
[/quote]

Not really. Every 6 string I've seen has what looks to me like an unfeasibly wide neck. Also the 5-strings I use most often all have at least 2 octaves of fingerboard. If I wanted to play notes higher than that I'd be looking at my guitar or a synth.

For me, it wasn't GAS, it was necessity. I'm back with a band I was in some years ago, and they have expanded their repertoire to include some songs that have definite 5-string motifs in the bass lines that can't be done properly on a 4. So I use my 5 on those few songs and immediately switch back to my custom half-fanned fret P-style 4-string for most of the gig, as it is so much more comfortable to me and gets the tone I want for most stuff.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174777-and-now-for-something-completely-different-in-a-pj/page__p__1632811__hl__fanned%20fret__fromsearch__1#entry1632811"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174777-and-now-for-something-completely-different-in-a-pj/page__p__1632811__hl__fanned%20fret__fromsearch__1#entry1632811[/url]

Went from 4 to 5 to 4 to 5 to 4!!

In my last stint with 5 i felt I was getting lazy having two whole octaves of a scale under my left hand so decided to go mainly back to 4 again and as a result my playing has opened up some more as I've been forced to find new fretboard ergonomics.

Not waving the flag for 4s (in fact I'll be looking for a 5 to have to hand at some point) but my main point I suppose is that sometimes a change can be a good thing - shake things up a bit. It aint marriage - you can jump around, keep things fresh if you want and not feel guilty ;)

I started on a 4 then moved to 6, now on 5s.

In my opinion, if you can play a 5 string comfortably, then why bother with a 4? There's nothing you can play on a 4 that you can't play on a 5.

If you don't get on with a 5 string neck then of course you should stick to 4s but if you don't mind then playing a 4 is just limiting yourself IMO. Even if you don't use the extra notes on a 5, there's no negatives to having them there just in case.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1352496549' post='1863980']
I started on a 4 then moved to 6, now on 5s.

In my opinion, if you can play a 5 string comfortably, then why bother with a 4? There's nothing you can play on a 4 that you can't play on a 5.

If you don't get on with a 5 string neck then of course you should stick to 4s but if you don't mind then playing a 4 is just limiting yourself IMO. Even if you don't use the extra notes on a 5, there's no negatives to having them there just in case.
[/quote]

My exact sentiments. I don't see me ever going back to a four string. Why on earth would I?

[quote name='clashcityrocker' timestamp='1352480264' post='1863684']
Seems there is a trend emerging here.... So all you 5 string converts,any temptation for 6 string,as if one string made you convert surely 2 extra is the way forward?!
[/quote]

I bought a six string and then only used the C string on one song. It was heavy and much less comfortable than my 5. It now sits gathering dust and is mostly a monument to my greed and stupidity. Still, it does see some home use.

I played 4 string for about 4 years before I got tempted by 5 string. I bought a cheap 'starter' 5 string and hated it, didnt get it, it sounded awful and I sold it and went back to 4 string.

About 5 years ago I finally decided to give 5 strings another go and bought a very nice Warwick. It made all the difference and I stuck with it and quickly sold my 4 strings and never looked back. I find 5's much more comfortable to play as I have big hands and I actually get cramp and pains in my hand when I play 4's for a long period.

I bought a Squier CV Precision about a year ago as a bit of a novalty for teh Soul band I was in, its a brilliant bass but its effectively a toy, and 5 strings are now my 'proper' basses.

No need to ever go back to 4 full time or play them regulalry but it doesnt stop my GAS for a 1983 Stingray.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1352558600' post='1864610']
....I bought a cheap 'starter' 5 string and hated it, didnt get it, it sounded awful and I sold it and went back to 4 string....
[/quote]

That's not really surprising. A cheap bass won't be nice to play no matter how many strings it's got.
[font=Arial][size=2] [/size][/font]

In the summer I had a "[i]5 strings are not my thing[/i]" player try out my Lull PJ5.

His comment was, "Maybe I've been playing the wrong 5 string basses".

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1352558600' post='1864610']
No need to ever go back to 4 full time or play them regulalry but it doesnt stop my GAS for a 1983 Stingray.
[/quote]

My solution as a strictly 5-string player to 4-string basses I like the look of will be to get a good luthier to make me an "authentic" 5-string version when I have the funds.

Edited by BigRedX

I've made the move to exclusively playing 5ers this year. As others have said, nothing you can play on a 4 that you can't play on a 5, greater positioning flexibility, the low notes, etc. I feel like I'm missing something on a 4 now. I love the fact that I don't have to refine/change bass for songs in drop D now too. I also feel like it allows me to be a bit more creative with fills, runs,etc, and being able to hit 3 octaves in the space of 5 frets is great. Not tempted by a 6 as those higher notes just wouldn't be much use to me.

EDIT: I should add that I think it's very important to find the right 5er for you. Try a load and get whatever feels right in your hands. My first 5 was a Warwick Thumb; sounded great but felt like too much hard work to play. Thought I hated 5ers until I realised years later that it was just that bass, the geometry of it just didn't work for me. Now I've found the perfect bass for me, it feels easier and more comfortable to play than most of the 4 strings I've had over the years.

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1352562070' post='1864659']
That's not really surprising. A cheap bass won't be nice to play no matter how many strings it's got.

In the summer I had a "[i]5 strings are not my thing[/i]" player try out my Lull PJ5.

His comment was, "Maybe I've been playing the wrong 5 string basses".
[/quote]

It's early to be after anything considering my new purchase but I badly want a Mike Lull P5 now. They look and sound phenomenal.

I'd just go for it. 5 strings may not be for you. For years I avoided them and only played 4's and 6's. Now I'm happy playing a 4, 5 or 6 string. A good bass is a good bass and having a good 5 string doesn't mean you'll never like another 4 string, or your current 4 strings will become redundant.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1352496549' post='1863980']
. Even if you don't use the extra notes on a 5, [b]there's no negatives to having them there just in case.[/b]
[/quote]

Well, apart from a bass that weighs more than it needs to (and frankly some of them weigh more than enough as 4 strings!), the increased risk of unwanted notes ringing out (especially important when recording), and the increased price of sets of strings...

My only bass is a 5 string---but I don't buy the "just in case" argument. If you're not going to use the fifth string then its pointless having it there. Might as well get a bass which is lighter, has infinitely less chance of you having an unwanted low b mysteriously make its way into your EP, and probably costs a little bit less!

I only use the b string on my Yamaha occasionally, so I'm looking to pair it with a nice passive four string---then I'll have all my options covered.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1352711121' post='1866286']
....has infinitely less chance of you having an unwanted low b mysteriously make its way into your EP....
[/quote]

Don't blame 5 string basses for the technical shortcomings of the player.