Why become a member? ×

Reading Music

ken_white

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1352474814' post='1863573']
I used to take a pile of books to the reading festival and was always disappointed when it was all about music.
[/quote]

But if you take enough you can always use them to stand on to get a better view of the stage. Job done...

I'm playing in lots of different bands, and if I couldn't read, I'd be doomed. It's just impossible to memorize ~300 tunes, so I have to write down at least few bars of grooves and certain passages, so that when someone calls a tune on a rehearsal or a gig I haven't played in a while, I don't have to think 'oh, what's the bass groove on that one?', or 'what's that unison passage in the pre-chorus?'

Another thing - lots of times, we don't rehearse pretty much at all, just do the gig, so I don't have the opportunity to go through the stuff beforehand, that's where reading is priceless.
Doddy might have mentioned this as well,but - 95% of good learning material is in notation, not tab. So, if you read, you have the access to the best material out there, period.
To end the story - while I haven't really had to use my ability to read on a 'proper' reading gig yet, last year, while doing a TV show, we were standing behind really famous pop artist, and my trombone player brings me a sheet with a tricky bass part straight to dress-rehearsal, an hour or so before the show itself, and minutes before we had to rehearse it with the artist himself.
I had not only had to sight-read the part on the fly, but I also had to do it perfectly, note for note, accent for accent, because I was actually doubling the trombone part. To make it short, after I nailed the part, I was really glad about myself, that I had put the time in to learn something,that I wasn't really expecting to have any major use from at that point.

Learn to read, it doesn't hurt :)
easy
L

Edited by Faithless

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]really famous pop artist, and my trombone player brings me a sheet"[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Really!? - I don't think a trombone has been heard in the charts for 40+ years. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Who's the really famous pop artist - you can say... this is not a national security issue.[/font][/color]

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1352497634' post='1864006']
"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]really famous pop artist, and my trombone player brings me a sheet"[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Really!? - I don't think a trombone has been heard in the charts for 40+ years. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Who's the really famous pop artist - you can say... this is not a national security issue.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

IMNSHO, Faithless neither deserves nor needs the sarcastic distrust that is dripping from your post.

Also, have you never seen a broadcasting organisation's orchestra back up a pop singer? Then you need to come out less.

Also, "really famous" may well mean "really famous locally, and it's not interesting for you brits to read the name of a Lithuanian pop singer".

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1352510915' post='1864188']
IMNSHO, Faithless neither deserves nor needs the sarcastic distrust that is dripping from your post.

Also, have you never seen a broadcasting organisation's orchestra back up a pop singer? Then you need to come out less.

Also, "really famous" may well mean "really famous locally, and it's not interesting for you brits to read the name of a Lithuanian pop singer".
best,
bert
[/quote]

Agreed.

Plenty of Orchestrated backing horn [Trpts/Saxes/Bones] sections over the past 40 years, On hundreds of pop tunes,
Even a Trombone solo.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-mjl63e0ms[/media]

The list goes on and on.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL7jUYjAaC4[/media]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

I've been taking bass lessons for a couple of months now and my bass tutor has started to teach me to read music. I admit that I was hesitant at first as I wanted to learn technique and theory and didn't think that I'd use sight reading. I was still a little skeptical before I read this forum post to be honest but now I'm starting to think that I should focus on it a little more. Here's why I'm becoming a convert:[list=1]
[*]I'm learning the notes on the fretboard more. This makes it easier to jam with my guitarist as he'll yell out the names of the notes he's playing when we're making stuff up.
[*]Whilst reading the music I realised that I'm not counting up the clef and memorising the names of each note. I'm actually remembering a few notes in the clef and making note of the relationship between the notes. So as long as I know how to play a scale, I can play the piece in any key. All I'm doing is looking at how the notes work in patterns. And I can work with patterns very well.
[*]As Doddy said earlier, most good instructional books are written in notation not tab. This makes it quicker and easier to learn more new stuff.
[*]It's helping to turn me into a bass player, not a mimic. This is why I took up lessons. Memorising a song isn't really fulfilling for me. I want to jam along to a beat and a guitar and write stuff and record stuff and know what's cool to play when my guitarist is off soloing and stuff.
[/list]
So I may never end up in a situation where I need to read music live but I now think it's helping me understand what I should be playing.

Yours, a converted skeptic :)

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1352497634' post='1864006']

[/quote]

Yeah, really. I've played for world-renowned TV music show, called "The Voice Of..." and show rules require having 15 member Live band with full horn-section, that's where your trombone comes in.
As for the artist - no, they're not local Lithuanian guys.. :) Those guys are famous word-wide, and they're called "Fools Garden".
The song that I've done (besides doing premiere of their newest single "Innocence") was "Lemon Tree" (and I bet you know it), which originally had tuba doing bass thing, and trombone's sound,doubled with electric bass, could emulate it best.

Now you're cool, buddy?

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1352572340' post='1864803']

Now you're cool, buddy?
[/quote]

Now I am cool!

And it sounds like a pretty high-pressure reading scenario!

(I've still not heard of the programme, artist or song though!)

visog

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1352631951' post='1865265']
Now I am cool!

And it sounds like a pretty high-pressure reading scenario!

(I've still not heard of the programme, artist or song though!)

visog
[/quote]

I'm sure you've heard of the show....It's called 'The Voice' in the UK.It was quite popular on Saturday nights.