Why become a member? ×

ZAPPA - You Should Watch This - It is Fascinating

xilddx

This is a really wickid BBC interview with Zappa in 1993, not long before he died of prostate cancer. It's really fascinating, I saw it when it was broadcast. Part 1 of 4

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV1YaBxhewE[/media]

Edited by silddx

Incredible output really, although I do wonder how much of case of quantity over quality it is. Some of his work is just beautiful, the melodic stuff on side one of Lumpy Gravy for instance, but he could certainly get a bit self indulgent. Can't complain though, considering all the good stuff he made.

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1351907135' post='1856900']
Incredible output really, although I do wonder how much of case of quantity over quality it is. Some of his work is just beautiful, the melodic stuff on side one of Lumpy Gravy for instance, but he could certainly get a bit self indulgent. Can't complain though, considering all the good stuff he made.
[/quote]

but even the self indulgent stuff was usually done tongue in cheek and often at some point he would place the most stunning section from nowhere straight into the middle of one of the satire songs - outro to yo mama and outro of jesus thinks youre a jerk for example

I saw that a while ago........excellent stuff. I've seen Zappa plays Zappa a couple of times (have tickets for the next show) and they are awesome, though theres less of the comedy. I read an interview with Scott Thunes and was shocked to find out he's a bit of a cock!

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1351943610' post='1857108']
I saw that a while ago........excellent stuff. I've seen Zappa plays Zappa a couple of times (have tickets for the next show) and they are awesome, though theres less of the comedy. I read an interview with Scott Thunes and was shocked to find out he's a bit of a cock!
[/quote]

Which interview did you read?

[quote name='hollywoodrox' timestamp='1351942766' post='1857097']
I think the mothers used to be the band 'the turtles' who sang happy together. I'm gonna watch this later it looks good
[/quote]

Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman from the Turtles joined the Mothers and were christened 'Flo and Eddie'.

I remember seeing this when it was first broadcast , and I still occasionally wonder what Frank Zappa would make of all kind of things nowadays. A big part of my formative years, and still sorely missed by the World today. On the subject of the Turtles/Flo and Eddie, I seem to remember that they feature heavily on the Live At The Filmore album .

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1351946451' post='1857141']
[/quote]

I read (in at least two FZ Biographies) that Scott was responsible for Zappa canceling dates on his last tour and not gigging again. Could be fanbois with axes to grind though.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1351948754' post='1857169']
I read (in at least two FZ Biographies) that Scott was responsible for Zappa canceling dates on his last tour and not gigging again. Could be fanbois with axes to grind though.
[/quote]
Well, it's quite a long and convoluted story but he was not at all directly responsible. Zappa made the young Scott Clonemeister (responsible for rehearsing the band) for the 88 tour. He was inexperienced and did not know how to resolve conflict, impose discipline, and deal with the horn section's tardiness. Most of the band (Scott Keneally excepted) turned against Scott and refused to cooperate with him. It got so bad on the tour with pettiness and stupidity (there are many stories), that Zappa eventually had to ask the rest of the band if they could continue playing with Scott, they said it's Scott or us, and Zappa killed the tour as rehearsing a new bassist was prohibitive in terms of cost time and effort. Zappa loved what Scott did, and when the band said they couldn't play with him because he was weird, Zappa told them that they were all weird and they should deal with it. Scott is a difficult character, no doubt of that, but so were most of the band.

Have a read of Thomas Wictor's book 'Interviews with Really Scary Musicians' to get Scott's side (it's a fascinating read), Andrew Greenaway's 'Zappa the Hard Way' for interviews with most of the '88 band. Also Mike (BC's urb) interviewed him for Bass Guitar Magazine about two years ago when he was over here with ZPZ. Mike said he was a cool guy.

There is a short excerpt from Wictor's book interview online called 'Requiem for a Heavyweight' http://www.cidanka.nl/keneally/stbp0397.htm

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1351949867' post='1857197']
There is a short excerpt from Wictor's book interview online called 'Requiem for a Heavyweight' [url="http://www.cidanka.nl/keneally/stbp0397.htm"]http://www.cidanka.n...ly/stbp0397.htm[/url]
[/quote]
That's a really good book....it's basically full versions of 4 of Wictor's interviews for Bass Player Magazine-The Thunes interview takes
up about half the book.
With regards to Thunes being the reason for Frank stopping touring (I get the feeling that it was mostly down to
Ed Mann),I think that he was obviously respected by the Zappa family so much that when Dweezil started to tour and
record,Thunes was his first choice Bass Player.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1351946451' post='1857141']
[/quote]

Think it was in Bass player mag or similar, within the last 2 years i think, he was talking about gigging with ZPZ, He just shouted off about how he didnt take no crap off Frank and how he's the best thing since sliced sh*t, but he doesnt need to show it.......Actually I'm not too sure what he was on about but still thought.....hmmmmm he's a bit of a cock!

[quote name='hollywoodrox' timestamp='1351942766' post='1857097']
I think the mothers used to be the band 'the turtles' who sang happy together. I'm gonna watch this later it looks good
[/quote]
[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1351946552' post='1857142']
Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman from the Turtles joined the Mothers and were christened 'Flo and Eddie'.
[/quote]
As well as Kaylan and Volman the 70-71 band included Jim Pons, also from the Turtles, on bass.

I've dipped in and out of Zappa over the years, i don't why i've not listened more because i really like it. I had a number of Zappa when i was at uni and they all got nicked and i've never got back round to getting into it. I had a couple of his orchestral ones, i also had Boulez conducts zappa. Joes garage can't remember the rest. But i love Steve Vai and Terry Bozzio so i liked that stuff. I will watch this and start getting back into it

This is good by zappa plays zappa

[media]http://youtu.be/aDQE82ElyJg[/media]

Oh yeah this is a great song too!

http://youtu.be/K_WgCGOWae4

Edited by Lord Sausage