Why become a member? ×

Which Mini Amp?

monquixote

Sorry if a million people have asked this question, but I was wondering if the good people of the forum can be of assistance.

Impending sprogging means that I'm going to be giving up my band at the end of the year.

My current gig rig is an EBS HD350 and a NEO212 which is far too big and loud to be in the house when I'm not using it so the plan is to trade it for a mini head and cab, or a compact combo.

The requirement is that it needs to take up minimal room and be usable at home, but be punchy enough to cover a live situation if I want to do some depping, or the odd gig. It doesn't have to be uber light.

I'm planning to buy it SH using the proceeds of selling or trading what I've got now.

So far Markbass and TC seem like the obvious candidates.

What would you recommend?

I'm in a similar situation to you - but have my cabs but looking to get something to drive them. The GK MB Fusion caught my eye and in several months of sporadic bursts of researching opinion, I can't recall seeing anyone give a negative word to it.. I'm pretty sure that's where my money is headed. There's a little brother in the range which might be more your bag, look up an MB200. That also garners very positive comments in this parish.

[quote name='subrob' timestamp='1351640782' post='1853760']
I'm in a similar situation to you - but have my cabs but looking to get something to drive them. The GK MB Fusion caught my eye and in several months of sporadic bursts of researching opinion, I can't recall seeing anyone give a negative word to it.. I'm pretty sure that's where my money is headed. There's a little brother in the range which might be more your bag, look up an MB200. That also garners very positive comments in this parish.
[/quote]

Interesting. Never used a GK before.

Are they more the HiFi/Grindy/Vintage type of bass amp?

[quote name='monquixote' timestamp='1351641184' post='1853771']
How does it sound compared to their big amps?
I never got on with the MAG and the ABM.
[/quote]
Neither did I particularly,but the MiBass,for me,is a total winner.I replaced my Genz Benz with the MiBass 550
and recently added the Mi12 cab.It's a killer amp. I had the Genz because I preferred it to the Mark Bass and
TC amps,and I got the Ashdown because I preferred it to the Genz Benz. So yes,they are worth checking out.

You don't mention weight, so I'm going to suggest the EAiAmp 350 Combo. they pop up every now and then second hand. It's a single 1x10 combo, small but heavyish. They seem to be out of fashion ATM so are going for peanuts. New RRP was around £1100 but I've seen them go for as little as £380. Very solid build quality and sound great, I only sold mine as I went down the valve route.

So far, from the mini-amp range, I`ve had TC Classic 450, Orange Bass Terror, Ampeg PF500, GK MB500 & MB Fusion 500, and Markbass Little Mark Tube 500.

Soundwise, my faves are the Markbass, followed by the Ampeg. I like a warm sound, and these provide that, but also have plenty of eq options available, if needed.

[quote name='monquixote' timestamp='1351641184' post='1853771']
How does it sound compared to their big amps?
I never got on with the MAG and the ABM.
[/quote]
I don't know the Ashdown big amps but next to my Little Bastard it stands up well, it's got THE Ashdown sound when you want & the EQ is as flexible as you'll ever need IMO. I wanted a 'electronic/solid state/IC amp' call it what you like for direct comparison to the all tube LB, I have to say it does more than I expected, excellent control through the range & so tiny. I really want to get a Mi10 to go with for an extreme 'MiniRig' but with flexibility of still using through 2 cabs when required. The MiBass amps are not the cheapest in the mini market but the quality is definitely built in, solid & reliable as ever.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1351676129' post='1853944']
I understand that you think you should go smaller, but a 112 with a small amp on top is going to take up as much floor space as your current rig.

How can it be too loud when you have all those volume controls?
[/quote]

If that's the case then the answer for me would be to have no bass amp as I can't justify the space for something that will hardly get used, but I don't believe it is as for example the MB Traveler 2x10 is about a third of the size of my current cab.

Every attempt to use the EBS at home has lasted about 5 minutes so I'm not convinced just turning it down is the answer.

You could go for an Ibanez Promethean combo (the older style one, the new one is only 300W without the removable head, or one of the HB or Red Sub ones, if you don't mind slumming it ;)...
Small foot print, very small in the case of the Ibby, 500W removable head, 8 Ohm speaker out.
Loud enough for small gigs on its own and for on stage monitoring for anything bigger with PA support.

There's also the MiBass 220 with their Mi10 cab, would have a similar footprint to the Promethean.
Heard wonderful things about the Ashdown MiBass kit.

There's always one of these too >> http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=86

EBS Reidmar with one of the EBS 1x10 NEO Cabs?

Oh, and there's a few Phil Jones combos which might be interesting, although they're all a bit quiet, more intended for an acoustic environment, and may be a little hifi sounding.

Eude

If you want an ultra small and fairly grunty mini rig, I'd look at the TC BH250 amp and a small cabinet, or indeed a Gallien MB200.

If you are going for higher power, I'd personally suggest:

RH750
RH450
Genz Streamliner 600/900
Genz Shuttle 6.2 or 9.2 (or Max 9.2)
Markbass LM3

I've used all of those, apart from the lower powered Genz units. The Markbass is great but they have a poor customer support system. TC and Genz have great support.

Any of the mini amp heads mentioned above, and one or two fender rumble 1x12 cabs. Light, small, cheap, good sounding, and definitely giggable. I use two with any of my amps, worked perfectly fine for any gig I did (small rooms, medium rooms, small outdoor stage, monitoring for larger outdoor stage).

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1351673547' post='1853911']
I really want to get a Mi10 to go with for an extreme 'MiniRig' but with flexibility of still using through 2 cabs when required.
[/quote]
Just slightly off topic,but the Mi10 cab is meant to be used alone and is 4 Ohm. If you want the option of using
2 cabs,go for the Mi12 which is 8 Ohm.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1351690879' post='1854203']
Just slightly off topic,but the Mi10 cab is meant to be used alone and is 4 Ohm. If you want the option of using
2 cabs,go for the Mi12 which is 8 Ohm.
[/quote]
My intention is to get a Mi10 to use alone with the MiBass 220 as a very portable kit but still use the amp with my 1x12 & 4x8 at home.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1351683448' post='1854067']
For what it's worth, I've heard that the power stage in the Fender Rumble 350 is identical to the one in the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0.
Fender rate it at 350W, GB at 600W...

Eude
[/quote]

There is plenty of debate over these modules. I think the key is that GBenz really know how to make a module give its all with clever technology and cooling methods.

I would be quite interested to see the 900 watt GB amps tested. The Streamliner is an absolute volume hammer though.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1351695267' post='1854307']
There is plenty of debate over these modules. I think the key is that GBenz really know how to make a module give its all with clever technology and cooling methods.

I would be quite interested to see the 900 watt GB amps tested. The Streamliner is an absolute volume hammer though.
[/quote]

That's a good point mate, I don't ever recall folks complaining about the GB's being too quiet, maybe Fender don't know what they're doing, or perhaps they borrowed the means to test wattage off Peavey... ;)

Eude

Yeah they say they're lacking but my Streamliner was crazy loud. Micro heads are the answer here, and ideally when you gig you just plug it into another cab. A mate's or the other band's, whatever. I'm a GK man, love the 200 and the MB fusion. Cheaply, I liked the Harley Benton head too.