Why become a member? ×

Bass guitar magazine is really good this month

hollywoodrox

There is a good interview with mark king then lik a q and a session with him,John wetton of Asia is in it too,the triumvirate feature looks at 3 Stanley Clarke albums there are 3 cool competitions ,a review of a tribal tech album, Ian hill of Judas Priest names 5 albums that inspired him, a feature on ashdown amps,reviews of 4 vintage brand bass,s (not the v4 which I have tho but still interesting) a review on the status king bass,review on Tc electronics bh250 a feature on a guys bass collection. It's a real interesting issue even to people like me who listen to winger, ratt and poison :)

Edited by hollywoodrox

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1351627551' post='1853509']
Just wish they would use a slightly larger/bolder typeface :blush:
[/quote]
And I thought it was just me being blind. Yes, yes bigger type, less eye strain!

Not a bad issue at all, nice range of basses (although those gold and silver ones left me cold), other gear and interviews.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1351632752' post='1853602']
Love Judas Priest, one of my favourite gigs...but I wouldn't look to Ian Hill for inspiration, apart from playing Spector Basses
[/quote]

Agreed, very solid player but in terms of interesting basslines from him...I can only think of The Rage, then I'm at a blank.

Tbh I've let my subscription lapse.
IMO, the deal to resubscribe was not as good as the first time subscription. Surely it wouldn't be hard to offer even just a fiver off the price. (£38.50 + gift for a newbie vs £38.50 to resub?)
The mag is perhaps worth the occasional one off purchase, but I don't believe it is as consistent as it could be.
Obviously this is all my opinion, ymmv etc....

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1351672193' post='1853896']
Tbh I've let my subscription lapse.
IMO, the deal to resubscribe was not as good as the first time subscription. Surely it wouldn't be hard to offer even just a fiver off the price. (£38.50 + gift for a newbie vs £38.50 to resub?)
The mag is perhaps worth the occasional one off purchase, but I don't believe it is as consistent as it could be.
Obviously this is all my opinion, ymmv etc....
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm the same, I find it dull to read and haven't bought a copy for a while. I have a flick through in WH Arse but I just don't get a hard on from the mag. I think it's a trust thing, the reviews are not authoritative and most of the interviews aren't giving me any secrets or inspiring information. That's just me of course.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1351711676' post='1854551']
I've signed for a two-year subscription. It's impossible to please everyone each issue. I still look forward to receiving it.
[/quote]
I had a load of Guitar Player mags from the 80s and 90s, they were the sort of magazines you could reread many times with great joy, and I did. Tommy Tedesco's studio log was an incredible column, as was Larry Coryell's and various others. The interviews were brilliantly informative, as were the transcriptions, news, and other bits and pieces. It was a very high quality read. I'm afraid BGM feels like reading a start up mag, there's just no magic in those pages for me. It's a shame, maybe it's just my age.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1351712242' post='1854564']

I had a load of Guitar Player mags from the 80s and 90s, they were the sort of magazines you could reread many times with great joy, and I did. Tommy Tedesco's studio log was an incredible column, as was Larry Coryell's and various others. The interviews were brilliantly informative, as were the transcriptions, news, and other bits and pieces. It was a very high quality read. I'm afraid BGM feels like reading a start up mag, there's just no magic in those pages for me. It's a shame, maybe it's just my age.
[/quote]

I see your point, Nige.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1351712368' post='1854569']
I see your point, Nige.
[/quote]

I forgot Dan Erlwine's repair column too, mate. They had the best contributors in Guitar Player, it was awesome back then, not quite so good now, but I wish someone would sell it near me, I can't find it anywhere and WH Twat don't stock it. I need the November one with Alex Lifeson on the cover.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1351712242' post='1854564']

[/quote]im a huge fan of 80s and early 90s guitar world it was really good you also got bass players in it like billy Sheehan Michael Anthony etc