Why become a member? ×

"Mission" speakers/ monitors....Twelvety Pounds o.n.o.

I have some of these for sale on behalf of a friend, cant give too much detail,as they are boxed up and but would great home studio monitors, can any one give me an Idea what they are worth? pretty clueless (pics to follow) they could come supplied with a Quad amp but again pics to follow. I'm a bit rubbish at this stuff so e bay isnt an option!!
just wanted to pick the basschat collective mind!
apparently Mission was as name back inthe 80's (anyone know?)

Mission did make some very good speakers but without a hint of info on the model, there's no chance of any value being given. There are literally hundreds of models produced. You need to find out what they are, and the condition

Edited by fleabag

Mission were and are still in the 'HiFi' and Pro Audio market. Mission have produced studio monitors in the past but more recently seem to be concentrating on the home audio / cinema market with cheaper hifi kit.

I still have a set of 733i floor standers that I use for everything that my studio monitors don't and have to say they are awesome.

Without pictures and model numbers it'd be impossible to tell the worth, but unless they are top spec, don't expect too much i'm afraid.

Compare prices on eBay and gumtree when you have the model numbers (or compare visually) - mostly found on a label on the back of each speaker.

[quote name='joegarcia' timestamp='1351607636' post='1853191']
depending on where you are.
[/quote]

From the OP's sig, I'd guess North Yorkshire moors somewhere?

Drove over Blubberhouses in dense fog last weekend and it was definitely American Werewolf territory...

hmm i might be interested too if they're not too far from me (or between Newcastle and Masham as my friend travels there regularly to visit his folks)

we need to know model numbers to give valuations though (as many have said before me)

awaiting the photo's with interest

Matt

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1351619358' post='1853358']
Sheer class !
[/quote]

Thank you! :) I've really tried on more than one occasion to 'upgrade' to something smaller but every time I have put them away, I've had to get them back out again! Just sound wonderful in comparison to everything else I've owned. My studio monitors are a different kettle of fish mind, but for just music listening pleasure, the 733i's are brilliant.

From what I have read so far they are listed as a 'good HiFi speaker' and would probably be ok for rough mixing purposes as would any decent HiFi speaker. There's actually a set on eBay with an hour left right now for £50 with no bids. I looked at completed listings but no 727 models came up. You may be looking at sub £50 for the speakers alone. Not sure about the QED - I believe they were a big name too once upon a time? Hope this helps!

i'm afraid i can't help you on price but i can identify what you've got.

Quad 303 Power amp
Quad 34 preamp
Mission 727 Speakers
qed switching unit.

it looks like it uses din connectors rather than the now common phono connectors so it's not really much use to me as it would mean all new interconnects. and the speakers are a touch too big for my needs.

it's all very good quality kit though. all made in Huntingdon, i have a friend who worked/works for mission at their headquarters, he had a pair of pre-production prototype floorstanders in his living room that sounded amazing but i never found out exactly what they were.

Oh I forgot to mention there are some stands the speakers.
Thanks Dood and Mat P for info
as I say this sale (if anyone wants them!!) is for a friend and we dont have much Idea. allthough from what you guys have found the speakers are worth the £50 mark as a package though?
what does that QED switcher thing do then? :blink: :rolleyes:

A pair of 727's in good working order should still be worth in the region of £100. I paid something like that for my pair about a year ago.

Check eBay for recent completed listings. Don't restrict yourself to 727's, but also check out similar speakers in the Mission range.

Before you flog 'em, you might want to listen to 'em. They really are awesome, old-school speakers. I use mine in my studio and they're good enough for the band to play along with when we're working up new covers to play.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1351682075' post='1854035']
A pair of 727's in good working order should still be worth in the region of £100. I paid something like that for my pair about a year ago.

Check eBay for recent completed listings. Don't restrict yourself to 727's, but also check out similar speakers in the Mission range.

Before you flog 'em, you might want to listen to 'em. They really are awesome, old-school speakers. I use mine in my studio and they're good enough for the band to play along with when we're working up new covers to play.
[/quote]
I was kind of thinking that Jack, they do appear awesome, and if the wieght (alone) of that quad amp is anything to go by its gonna be good stuff (prehaps I'll try evil bay but thanks for your help chaps)
I dunno maybe just give my friend a decent offer, just dont know what that would be though ( Shes a very good friend I want to see right you see)
W

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1351692274' post='1854246']
Quad amps like this go for good money on Ebay, they're considered audiophile classics. I'd sell them separately from the speakers.
[/quote]

this is very true, i'd forgotton how well regarded (and expensive) the old Quad gear was, if you put up plenty of clear pictures and a good description you might be surprised how much you get for them, but i'd plug it all together and listen to it first, you might decide to buy it for yourself.

Mat