Why become a member? ×

Possible stupid question about Drop D

Evil Undead

So, very reluctantly, I've decided to learn a couple of songs in drop D, despite my aversion to down tuning.

I'm wondering if just dropping the tuning on my E string now and then is going to have a negative effect on the neck of my bass? What I mean is, less tension on that one side and then back again all the time.

Any thoughts on this? Just don't wanna booger my neck up.

To the best of my knowledge, tuning down your E string to D won't cause any damage to the neck of your bass, but be sure to retune back up to E before you put your bass away for any length of time ( i.e. a few hours or more ) to avoid any long-term problems that might arise from an uneven tension on the neck for prolonged periods of time.

Edited by Dingus

I've never had a problem with drop D effecting the neck, I'd guess if you're changing the tuning all the time you'll shorted the life of the string.

The price of the hipshot d-tuner was enough to put me off buying one, doesn't seem worth it to save the few seconds that it takes to retune.

But they're so much fun :lol: Mind it knackered me when I got my first 5 & took it to a gig that night. I had all our songs sorted using the D tuner to flick down & back up during songd - need the low D for the chorus, but E is fine for the verse, so flick down for the chorus & back up for the verse. Smashing :D

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1351196598' post='1848673']
To the best of my knowledge, tuning down your E string to D won't cause any damage to the neck of your bass, but be sure to retune back up to E before you put your bass away for any length of time ( i.e. a few hours or more ) to avoid any long-term problems that might arise from an uneven tension on the neck for prolonged periods of time.
[/quote]

chances are that the strings you already use are nothing close to being even tension (at least if the data provided on the D'Addario site are representative), so I would not worry about that.

A Hipshot bass extender (D-tuner) is soooo convenient and fun, if you think of switching often between the two tunings. Highly recommended.