Why become a member? ×

Fretboard oil

KingBollock

I was just making a mental note to myself to get some Linseed Oil for my Rosewood fretboards. In all these years I have yet to treat them with anything, only furniture polish on the very rare occasions that I change the strings,,, Anyway, I suddenly remembered that I have some oil but it's Linseed Stand Oil for Oil Painting. On the bottle it says that it's more viscous than normal Linseed Oil. Will this work for my fretboards, or should I just buy some normal stuff? Or should I avoid Linseed Oil all together?

This topic always brings out the most varied of responces. Personally I would not use linseed oil. Yorick's suggestion above,

is the most common responce. My own preference is "Fret Doctor" (see link). It is a bit on the expensive side, but as it's meant to be used very sparingly, it will last for years.

[url="http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm"]http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm[/url]

Edited by Coilte

When I was reading about oiling my bass (as a complete refinish), most of the reports I read said don't put any sort of perishable oil on wood that you intend to keep (such as vegetable or olive oil) & read a few conflicting reports on lemon oil (so I avoided it to be safe.
Linseed & Danish oil are the safest & most durable options.

It's comments like this that concern me...

[quote]You don’t want to do this each time you change your strings (a good wipe down with a cloth is enough) but it’s worth doing every 8-10 months. Your mileage may vary depending on a number of factors such as how much you play the guitar and the conditions that you store your instrument in. Over-use can cause damage to the wood and may also loosen the fret wire[/quote]

and

[quote]Pure lemon oil is contains around 90% of a compound called d-limonene, found in the skins of lemons and oranges. It’s is a strong solvent - meaning that in this form it has the ability to break down glue, paint, grease and wax. Using this on a guitar fretboard could do some bad damage.[/quote]

I got mine in one of these kits at GuitarGuitar.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIBSON-VINTAGE-REISSUE-GUITAR-RESTORATION-POLISH-KIT-/220719582435
The other polish is great for nitro, two pack or poly finishes and get years of gig crap off no problem. Only "gimmick" was the brush for cleaning between your saddles etc.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1350908220' post='1844853']
It's comments like this that concern me...

[quote name='blind summit' timestamp='1350908220' post='1844853']
You don’t want to do this each time you change your strings (a good wipe down with a cloth is enough) but it’s worth doing every 8-10 months.[/quote]
[/quote]

That backs up what the luthiers have told me, I've followed the "never more than twice a year" and had no problems in the past 20+ years of guitars with rosewood boards.
So long as you don't soak it - and wipe any excess off outside areas & it should be good.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1350908375' post='1844856']
I got mine in one of these kits at GuitarGuitar.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIBSON-VINTAGE-REISSUE-GUITAR-RESTORATION-POLISH-KIT-/220719582435"]http://www.ebay.co.u...T-/220719582435[/url]
The other polish is great for nitro, two pack or poly finishes and get years of gig crap off no problem. Only "gimmick" was the brush for cleaning between your saddles etc.
[/quote]

+1 on the Gibson stuff. I use it on my TBird and she comes up like new

Charlie Chandler (one of the best) uses Dunlop 65.

The Lakland website recommends Orange oil for their fretboards.

I would imagine that the recommended lemon oil products are nowhere near 100% strength, so could be use without ill effect.

Always follow the instructions.

the thing is, linseed oil congeals after a long time of penetrating the grain of the timber. So it sinks in and hardens. This isn't bad. Lemon oil will soften it up and seal the grain up. I wouldn't put too much lemon oil on. try and get some linseed oil on at some stage too, although, at some stage, probably a year or 2 will be time enough.

personally, i just use fast fret to clean everything. I think it is reacting slightly to the finish on my neck and giving it a bit of a vintage tint, although i cant be sure yet.