Why become a member? ×

WHTS A gud base for teh plyaing metla? (just kidding, but advice needed)

LeeCassidy

I currently own an Ibanez GSR206 (bought here) and an OLP 4 string. Neither of these are great instruments. The Ibanez feels quite nice to my guitarist's hands, but it doesn't sound very good, no matter what pickup/EQ config I use, what I plug it into or do to the recorded tone. The OLD sounds and plays like arse. So I need some recommendations on something to replace them with, but I'm really not very hip to the intricacies of the bass world. Who is? You bass nerds!

I've got a budget of around £400 (looking in the second-hand market). What I'm looking for is 6 strings (or 5), decent pickups and preamp, and pretty narrow string spacing. I play with a pick a fair bit, but I'm trying to get better at fingerstyle and do terribly on wider spacing. Sound-wise, it's mostly modern-ish metal and prog that I play, so I want to get a good punchy tone but I'm an enormous fusion dude (Patittucci, Browne, Kennedy, Philpot, Shreeve :wub: ).

I was thinking of one of the BTB 6/5 strings with the Bartolinis, but browsing on the (awful) Bartolini site, it looks like they're a special series for the BTB's. Is that right? Normally, in guitar world, branded pickups designed for a specific guitar are pretty awful and are only a tiny bit ahead of own brand guitar stock pickups. Is that the case with the Bartolinis in the other Ibanez basses they appear in? I'm also assuming that most of the stock pickups in new £300-500 basses are worth avoiding, too. But is that also wrong? Most guitars in that range would have sucky pickups, so I'm just assuming it applies to basses, too.

Any help is massively appreciated.

Ibanez basses are quite widely used by metal guys, and the normal Soundgear ones will sound a million times better than the entry level GSR models. If you like the way they feel I'd recommend looking at those ones first! Personally, they don't work for me... I'm more of a Peavey man! They also feel very comfortable to play, and I prefer the sound!

About the pickups... Two of my Peaveys have the stock pickups in and I bought them used for £50 and £100 respectively. I won't be changing them any time soon! The 6 string cost me £250 used, and has been 'upgraded' to Seymour Duncan Basslines pickups... which sound amazing... But I actually prefer the smoother sound of the original ones so I might put them back in!

Those are my two suggestions anyways :)

You could always just get a new preamp or pickups for the GSR if you wanna save money though!

Edited by chrismuzz

For a 5 string you can get a Yamaha BB415 for about £200 second hand, if you ask anyone who has played these they will tell you they are great basses, built like tanks, great sound And look very cool too. I have a BB414 and its one of my favourite to play by a long shot.

Also you could look at a Yamaha TRB1006 or a TRB6-II, incredibly versatile basses, I play finger style with mine in a metal band AMD every practice sesh we have the others in the band keep mentioning on nice the TRB sounds in the mix, it cuts through really nice and you can get any kind of sound you would need out of it.

You wouldn't need to change either of their pickups as Yamaha are renowned for producing really great sounds, they use top quality stuff in their pick ups no matter what the cost of the instrument.

Edited by 4StringFortress

The Bartolini branded MK1 pickups that are prolific throughout Asian-made, mid-price basses are pretty decent as branded pickups go. Best thing would be to give them a try somewhere - you should be able to find an Ibanez SR505 in a shop that you can try out.

BTB's and Yamaha TRB's have wider spacing and longer scale, so may not be for you.

+1 on the string spacing -
[quote name='geilerbass' timestamp='1350289937' post='1836736']
The Bartolini branded MK1 pickups that are prolific throughout Asian-made, mid-price basses are pretty decent as branded pickups go. Best thing would be to give them a try somewhere - you should be able to find an Ibanez SR505 in a shop that you can try out.

BTB's and Yamaha TRB's have wider spacing and longer scale, so may not be for you.
[/quote]

+1 on the scale and spacing - I'm pretty sure BTBs are 35" and 19mm spacing. I've found that the wider spacing works well for me - I trip over the strings less!

[quote name='SoVeryTired' timestamp='1350291842' post='1836762']
+1 on the string spacing -

+1 on the scale and spacing - I'm pretty sure BTBs are 35" and 19mm spacing. I've found that the wider spacing works well for me - I trip over the strings less!
[/quote]

My BTB676 is 35" and 17mm string spacing, likewise with the newer TRB 1006s are 35" and 17mm

I think the older ones used to be 19mm but have sinced changed

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1350296189' post='1836832']
My BTB676 is 35" and 17mm string spacing, likewise with the newer TRB 1006s are 35" and 17mm

I think the older ones used to be 19mm but have sinced changed
[/quote]

I stand corrected - last time I was looking at them it was a 19mm model. Their website gives just about every neck measurement possible but not string spacing!

I've owned both a Ibanez BTB 475 and currently own an Ibanez Prestige 4005e. I love Ibanez bass's, and the Soundgear's are definitely my favourite as I much prefer smaller string spacing and the smaller neck. However, I've been lucky enough that the 5 string Prestige's are 34" scale and still sound amazing. Whereas the only SR bass I've played that didn't have a lackluster B string, that wasn't a premium or prestige, was the K5.

I did absolutely love my BTB and the sound it made was brilliant i.e. the pickups were fab'. Mine did have some electrical faults, but I would have kept it had it been without said faults. You do have a generous budget, so if you're an Ibanez fan (like I am :)) then be on the lookout for something near to a Premium as Ibanez bass's have a bit of a reputation for selling for a lot lot less on the used market. To put it into perspective, I managed to buy my Prestige for £600. But if you know you're going to keep it then you don't have to worry about the resale value.

I'd also recommend that you try and get a feel for what kind of neck profile you like as well. The BTB's have quite a solid neck and quite tight string spacing, whereas the SR goes even tighter and has a neck that feels tiny, but great to me.

Where's all the love for the Yamaha RBX range? 17mm string spacing and 34" scale if I remember correctly.

You can get the RBXJM1 for around £350 these days and it's one of the best 6 strings I've ever owned. By now, all of the jack sockets would have been replaced so you'll not get a dud! The RBX765 is also a lovely bass. Same aesthetics as the RBXJM (I don't like the new RBX style) and dirt cheap these days.

Also, +1 for the Ibanez K5

Truckstop

Thanks for all the replies, dudes. Most appreciated.

There's a little bit of conflicting info here, would be good to clear it up. Specifically around the Ibanez BTB and Yamaha TRB series. Are they considered wide spacing or not (even at 17mm)? Some of you recommend them, some say they're too widely spaced for a noob (scale length isn't really a problem, btw). It does seem like you're all saying the pickups and preamps on those are fine, though. That's good to know.

I did spy someone selling one of those K5's for a reasonable enough price recently (£400, I think). I think it's still available, too. I can't stand the stupid inlay. I could live with it if it's an amazing bass, but I got the impression it's not the only gig in town at that price range. I also wondered if the pickup placement was a bit limiting at all. Lastly, I've read on here and elsewhere that some folks don't think mahogany is a great tonewood for a bass. It's amazing on guitars (I just bought an Ibanez RG7CT (one of just 22 left in the world) on the weekend *massive grin*). Am I talking nonsense (although the inlay is definitely fugly)?

One last thing, slightly unrelated. I don't have an awful lot to plug the bass into. At the moment I've only got my (darling of the guitar world) Axe FX 2, which isn't bad, but isn't the best device in the world for basses. I was considering one of the following:
Darkglass B3k
SansAmp Bass Driver
Hartke Bass Attack

Is that Hartke worth avoiding? It's the cheapest of the lot, and I :wub: the clips of the B3K I've heard, so it would make sense to just plum for that straight off the bat?

Also, another noob question; if you're going for a real staccato, tight, percussive metal bass sound, what pickup do you use? Bridge, neck, or both? This is by no means the be all and end all of the bass sound I'm going for, but if I wanted to get this sort of tone, what would you recommend? I'm guessing this is the bridge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DICc7oUNdWc

[quote name='LeeCassidy' timestamp='1350312382' post='1837124']
Also, another noob question; if you're going for a real staccato, tight, percussive metal bass sound, what pickup do you use? Bridge, neck, or both? This is by no means the be all and end all of the bass sound I'm going for, but if I wanted to get this sort of tone, what would you recommend?[/quote]

Without watching the clip... if you said to me "play staccato, tight and percussive" I'd certainly be playing nearer the bridge, and probably favouring the bridge pickup.

I've got a BTB 6 which I love but rarely gets played mainly due to it not fitting with any of the music I play with anyone else. I'd class the 17mm spacing on it as pretty narrow the neck width I find very comfortably to play. As far as spacing for someone new to 6ers it's all personal preference really I'd just go to a shop and try a few 6ers and see what works for you.

Out of those pedals the B3k definitely stands out for distortion sound quality but the others are probably more flexible if you're after more general tone shaping options.

[quote name='LeeCassidy' timestamp='1350311616' post='1837116']
Thanks for all the replies, dudes. Most appreciated.

There's a little bit of conflicting info here, would be good to clear it up. Specifically around the Ibanez BTB and Yamaha TRB series. Are they considered wide spacing or not (even at 17mm)? Some of you recommend them, some say they're too widely spaced for a noob (scale length isn't really a problem, btw). It does seem like you're all saying the pickups and preamps on those are fine, though. That's good to know.

I did spy someone selling one of those K5's for a reasonable enough price recently (£400, I think). I think it's still available, too. I can't stand the stupid inlay. I could live with it if it's an amazing bass, but I got the impression it's not the only gig in town at that price range. I also wondered if the pickup placement was a bit limiting at all. Lastly, I've read on here and elsewhere that some folks don't think mahogany is a great tonewood for a bass. It's amazing on guitars (I just bought an Ibanez RG7CT (one of just 22 left in the world) on the weekend *massive grin*). Am I talking nonsense (although the inlay is definitely fugly)?

One last thing, slightly unrelated. I don't have an awful lot to plug the bass into. At the moment I've only got my (darling of the guitar world) Axe FX 2, which isn't bad, but isn't the best device in the world for basses. I was considering one of the following:
Darkglass B3k
SansAmp Bass Driver
Hartke Bass Attack

Is that Hartke worth avoiding? It's the cheapest of the lot, and I :wub: the clips of the B3K I've heard, so it would make sense to just plum for that straight off the bat?

If you intend to gig , or rehearse with loud drummers ,other band members then you need about 250 watts.
There are many brands for a good price from GK to Ashdown. Other bass chatters will advise you.
Also , do you want combo,, or head/cab?
[/quote]

[quote name='LeeCassidy' timestamp='1350312382' post='1837124']
Also, another noob question; if you're going for a real staccato, tight, percussive metal bass sound, what pickup do you use? Bridge, neck, or both? This is by no means the be all and end all of the bass sound I'm going for, but if I wanted to get this sort of tone, what would you recommend? I'm guessing this is the bridge:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DICc7oUNdWc[/media]
[/quote]

Ahh Soreption, love this band! Sansamp Bass Driver, low action, and a hard right hand attack will get you this sound with pretty much any bass.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/ibanez-sr506/1001611134

Not sure if this would be any good to you, Ibanez SR506. I can vouch that the seller is a good guy, I know him from school. He posted this on his Facebook a few days ago, I'd have had it myself, in spite of the fact I've never played a 6 string, if I had the space for another bass. That and I'm GASing for a Jazz Blacktop.

I do have a BTB775 myself as it happens, and the bartolinis on mine are pretty potent. It's also immensely loud, I've got other active basses and this thing is so much more. It does take two 9V batteries though. Tone sounds damn good to me, though I'm rather inexperienced, I've only been playing 2 years. The SR 4 string necks are incredibly smooth and playable as well, I have a SR400, and I'd imagine the playability of a 5 or 6 in that model would be similarly good. The SR 5 string basses have a narrower neck than the BTB 5s by the way, which should in theory mean closer string spacing if that's what you're looking for, so an SR would probably be preferable.

[quote name='Blackbird88' timestamp='1350334921' post='1837583']
[url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/ibanez-sr506/1001611134"]http://www.gumtree.c...r506/1001611134[/url]
[/quote]

That is an absolute steal at that price. VERY popular basses, everyone from newbies up to professionals use these (I saw Ensiferum in 2010 and their bassist used this exact bass and sounded great!)