Why become a member? ×

Hofner Ignition Beatles Bass

Mr Fretbuzz

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1350211125' post='1835752']
Yep I can do that. Most guys can change their hand and pretend they are someone else :-D
[/quote]
Just sprayed my drink all over the computer lol

I sold my beatle bass as I didn't like it (after a year of playing it mind).

I never did get a macca sound out of it either :)

I was in Switzerland over the weekend, popped into a friend's vintage music store and got my hands on a Hofner Club, I'm guessing late 60's. The thing was set up like a complete dog, the flatwound strings were at least an inch of the fretboard but the sound out of it was absolutely amazing, massive, warm, almost an untameable hollowness, totally unique tone. Grabbed a pick and instantly sounded like Macca, it was ridiculous!

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1350778913' post='1843505']
Flatwounds played with a pick, of course. Generally rhythm / solo switch set to solo, bass on and treble off. They are great basses especially for the money
[/quote]

...what he said. They take a bit of setting up, what with the moveable bridge and all and maybe a tweak of the truss rod too, but they sound lovely. I've slid a bit of stiff foam pipe insulation down by the bridge to act as a mute for that gen-u-wine Macca thump.

There are loads of mod ideas on the Hofner Hounds forum if you want to go down the whole Beatlesvibe route. I popped a couple of Teacup knobs on mine, painted the nut and the selector switches, flipped the pick ups, Brasso'd off the 'Ignition' logo on the truss rod cover and I've got a pretty damn authentic and sounding looking Bass. I also slapped on a 'Bassman' sticker for that 'Let It Be' vibe.

Yup, I'm a nerd.

You will love that Bass.

• 4 weeks later...

Arrived yesterday..I'm using solo with bass and trebble off which seems to mean both pick ups working. Didn't like the sound fingering off the bridge pick up so I'm fingering off the neck pick up and it sounded ok. ... Some fret noise and I guess more mid range sounding than my P Bass ... Sounded good playing I can't explain by the who but not good playing Honkey Tonk women by the stones.

Played it on my ashdown mag head with mids turned up a little, half over drive, and half sub-harmonics, half compression.... 4x10 cab with tweeter

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1353504760' post='1875297']
I'm using solo with bass and trebble off which seems to mean both pick ups working.
[/quote]

When Hofner developed the little rectangular control plate at the end of the 50's their logic was impeccable ... but different.

If you wanted a more Bassy sound then you could either switch on the 'bass' pickup or you could switch off the 'treble' pickup. They plumped for the latter solution. So setting Bass to ON actually switches off the bridge pickup.

If you wanted a more Trebly sound then you could either switch on the 'treble' pickup or you could switch off the 'bass' pickup. Can't switch horses mid-stream, so they plumped for the latter solution. So setting Treble to ON actually switches off the neck pickup.

With depressing inevitability, and still with impeccable logic, switching both Bass and Treble to ON will therefore switch off both pickups.

Those crazy Germans, eh?

If anyone is considering buying a new one (more likely an HCT than an Icon, which was US market only) then I'd seriously suggest that they start to monitor eBay for vintage violin basses instead.

A new HCT will cost you over £500 and remains, ultimately, a Chinese copy. The vintage market peaked in 2009 and then slid badly, so you can now buy a genuine late-60's or early-70's German-made hand-built 500/1 for well under £1000.

More money? Not when you take into account the likely resale value later.

Same bass? Not a chance. Once you've played the real thing, no copy of a 500/1 will ever really cut it for you.

[i][quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1353678908' post='1877321']
If anyone is considering buying a new one (more likely an HCT than an Icon, which was US market only) then I'd seriously suggest that they start to monitor eBay for vintage violin basses instead.

A new HCT will cost you over £500 and remains, ultimately, a Chinese copy. The vintage market peaked in 2009 and then slid badly, so you can now buy a genuine late-60's or early-70's German-made hand-built 500/1 for well under £1000.

More money? Not when you take into account the likely resale value later.

Same bass? Not a chance. Once you've played the real thing, no copy of a 500/1 will ever really cut it for you.
[/quote][/i]

I would only want one for plonking on around the house and having never played the real thing, a Chinese copy would probably do the job. :D I can't begin to imagine just how ridiculous I would look playing one live!