Why become a member? ×

Queen - Hammer To Fall

Hobbayne

I am running through this at home ready for rehearsal with the band, when I came across the isolated bass part on you tube.
There is no way this is John Deacon playing this! - Its not very well played if it is!!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aNogqF7Bac&feature=related[/media]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1349908357' post='1832261']
I like it for that. And add just the drums in and I reckon it would sound very nice.
[/quote]
Me too dude...i think our ears have grown acustomed to quantised processed twaddle!

tbh it doesn't really make that much difference in the final mix a lot of basses sound terrible isolated but awesome in the mix agreed his subdivisions are all over the place on some parts but you have to consider would you hear that within the track i would imagine the producer thought probably not and so just left the part alone

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1349909400' post='1832275']
tbh it doesn't really make that much difference in the final mix a lot of basses sound terrible isolated but awesome in the mix agreed his subdivisions are all over the place on some parts but you have to consider would you hear that within the track i would imagine the producer thought probably not and so just left the part alone
[/quote]
And it probably was a performance take with Roger Taylor......so all in all, John Deacon f***ing rocks in my books!

Edited by McBass

Is that from a live recording? The studio version sounds similar but actually comes across as pretty tight when the drums are added in. In a live situation, particularly a live one, we all know it can be a bit of a crap shoot sometimes! Lovely tone too, never though I'd say that about a P bass unless Tony Butler was playing it! Queen couldn't half knock out a good tune.

Who cares what it's like solo'd? The track sounds great.

That's Deacy for you - a proper 'band' bass player. It's all about the song.

That's what bothers me about recording these days - so much emphasis and time spent on fixing microscopic details and polishing individual tracks.

Yawn.

Agree, a mate of mine has a "project" and the recordings are technically perfect, but to me they sound like they`ve been sterilised. Give me an exciting track played a little shambolically, with dynamics any day, over a technically perfect sterilised flatlined song.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1349914825' post='1832320']
Sounds alright to me!
Whoever wrote that top comment on YouTube though is a grade A helmet.
[/quote]
I assume you are referring to me!
Well it was a "tongue-in- cheek" comment about [u]MY[/u] ability, and not meant as a criticism of [u]HIS[/u] playing!

I play in a covers band, and our gigs are mainly in small venues and pubs, and I have only ever been in a studio once, and that was to record a three-song demo CD
When I heard my playing isolated afterwards, I was a bit disappointed, but hearing great players isolated too, helps you to realise that maybe that is what it is meant to sound like, and after the final mix, I was happy, as I cut through nicely, and my playing actually sounded smooth and warm.

Just an observation, lately, I've noticed that quite a few BC'ers are resorting to insulting comments, when they disagree with other people's views, disagree by all means, but things like "grade A helmet" and worse, are totally unnecessary, and not really what the BassChat community is all about.

You see! I disagree with you, but I don't need to insult you. :unsure:

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1349942464' post='1832406']

Just an observation, lately, I've noticed that quite a few BC'ers are resorting to insulting comments, when they disagree with other people's views, disagree by all means, but things like "grade A helmet" and worse, are totally unnecessary, and not really what the BassChat community is all about.

You see! I disagree with you, but I don't need to insult you. :unsure:
[/quote]

i think he was referring to someone on youtube rather than you here on bass chat the top comment on the video is someone who says this

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][left]Oh my God. A dilettante. Ever heard of the phrase "playing in time", Mr. Deacon? And he made millions with this crap. Now I know why I never liked to listen to Queen excessively, although the compositions are magnificent, incredible, ingenious. But with this rhythm section? "Don't move dont't groove", is this Deacon's and Taylor's motto? Taylor is constantly beside the beat just as well. And they, seriously, put this on a record?[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][left]
f***ing sh*t.
I would have kicked them out of the studio.[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2][left][url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MegaBradley01"]MegaBradley01[/url] [/left][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2][left][size=4]hence the tag of "grade a helmet"[/size][/left][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1349943180' post='1832423']
I've just drummed along to it, and it sounds great. Roger and John made a very nice dynamic and fluid rhythm section.
[/quote]

Ok great! - It just seemed to my ears that the timing was out. I must say how different it sounds on its own though! ;)

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1349945505' post='1832459']
i think he was referring to someone on youtube rather than you here on bass chat the top comment on the video is someone who says this

Oh my God. A dilettante. Ever heard of the phrase "playing in time", Mr. Deacon? And he made millions with this crap. Now I know why I never liked to listen to Queen excessively, although the compositions are magnificent, incredible, ingenious. But with this rhythm section? "Don't move dont't groove", is this Deacon's and Taylor's motto? Taylor is constantly beside the beat just as well. And they, seriously, put this on a record?

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]f***ing sh*t.
I would have kicked them out of the studio.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2][url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MegaBradley01"]MegaBradley01[/url] [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2][size=4]hence the tag of "grade a helmet"[/size][/size][/font][/color]

[/quote]
Ah! I thought that as my comment was the the first, and therefore at the top, I assumed that he was referring to me. :lol:
And I suppose it could sound like I am saying, "[i]if that's the best he can do, then maybe I ain't so bad after all[/i]", although obviously, I wasn't.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1349945735' post='1832465']
Ok great! - It just seemed to my ears that the timing was out. I must say how different it sounds on its own though! ;)
[/quote]
[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1349945970' post='1832469']
I think most of the negative comments are from people who don't understand how ensemble music works from the POV of the individual instruments. It's largely ignorance really. The bass sounds a bit sloppy on its own, of course it does.
[/quote]

I think it just shows how older / classic recordings are not quantized to a click. They move around, speed up, slow down, push and pull - it is this human element that gives things their unique feel.

Couple of examples:

Chic - Good Times - I heard a recording of the bassline solo'd - form a radio programme (wish I still had it). On it's own it is way behind the beat, and sloppy, but with drums that are bang on the nail it just breathes and grooves. I think many of us know that is is a charateristic or Mr Edwards, one of the finest players to grace the instrument.

The Police - Stewart Copeland's drumming is constantly pushing in many songs - not speeding up, but simply right at the front of what is possible in terms of the pocket. Sting however, is a tasteful if slightly sloppy and very laid back player. together it works to give the songs their own sound. And apparently this is why they always used to fall out.

There are millions more examples. It makes music human.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1349950054' post='1832533']
I think it just shows how older / classic recordings are not quantized to a click. They move around, speed up, slow down, push and pull - it is this human element that gives things their unique feel.

Couple of examples:

Chic - Good Times - I heard a recording of the bassline solo'd - form a radio programme (wish I still had it). On it's own it is way behind the beat, and sloppy, but with drums that are bang on the nail it just breathes and grooves. I think many of us know that is is a charateristic or Mr Edwards, one of the finest players to grace the instrument.

The Police - Stewart Copeland's drumming is constantly pushing in many songs - not speeding up, but simply right at the front of what is possible in terms of the pocket. Sting however, is a tasteful if slightly sloppy and very laid back player. together it works to give the songs their own sound. And apparently this is why they always used to fall out.

There are millions more examples. It makes music human.
[/quote]

I can never understand why anyone would take a constituent of the whole and judge it in isolation. It's like enjoying a wonderful plate of food then eating half a teaspoon of salt and being surprised it tastes horrible.