Why become a member? ×

TC Classic head micro-review

JapanAxe

I got my TC Classic head a couple of weeks ago, but had only been able to use it at home. Compared to my Ashdown ABM through the same speaker, at first I thought I preferred the Ashdown's fatter bottom end (fnar fnar), but soon realised that the TC had much more clarity in the mids. I wouldn't have gone out of my way for compression and overdrive options, but used in moderation they really add to the sound. Overall the sound is quite 'produced', but not to the point of fakery. The big question was: Will it be loud enough?

Today I took the TC to a jam session held in a large room on the side of a pub. I plugged it into my Ashdown 1x15 8-ohm cab (my only option at present) and turned up the wick. The short answer is: YES. (The longer answer will have to wait on my BF Compact arriving.) Plugged in my P-bass, set the gain to avoid clipping, and set the master at 5. Too loud against a drummer, two guitarists, and PA'd vocals! Master down to 4 - still needed to back off the volume on the bass from time to time. Sound is tight, with plenty of punch when the strings are plucked hard. Also met the approval of another bass-player, who owns or has owned MarkBass, Eden, and OTB heads.

Result! Can't wait to hear what it sounds like through a Compact!

Edited by JapanAxe

I had one of these and although it was very loud I could not get on with the sound so ended up buying an Ashdown ABM which gave me the sound I wanted - even though it's twice the weight. I now have an Ashdown MiBass which gives me the best of both worlds.

The reason I didn't get on with the TC electronics Classic 450 was the low mid knob did nothing from about 2 to 5 on the bass end of it's travel. I thought it may have been a problem with my amp but tried one in the shop and my ears still couldn't hear any change to the sound between 2 and 5. So don't get rid of the Ashdown until you're totally happy with the TC.

Just a general point, since upon touched on it...

Too much bass/bottom end sucks the life out of any tone, IMO
A case in point..and maybe to an extreme, would be dub-bass or sub
so I'd suggest you want a cab that can get those low B's sounding powerful and punchy...but defined so
you don't need an inherently bass-orientated cab, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1349610098' post='1828187']

so I'd suggest you want a cab that can get those low B's sounding powerful and punchy...but defined so
[/quote]

I don't need low B as I only play 4-string. I did worry a bit that the much-discussed roll-off below 65Hz would thin out the bottom E, but the sound remains balanced all the way down.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1349610098' post='1828187']

[/quote]

Agreed. I'm much more in favour of a very tight defined low B. The wall shaking lows can go out the PA....I don't want it behind me.

• 2 weeks later...

By way of a follow up, the Classic 450 is now dead. Defunct. Shuffled off this mortal coil.

Used it this morning, went to switch it on after lunch, loud crack and flash from mains inlet, second pop and flash from the mesh by the carry handle. Result: trip switch went, one dead amp. Hope it hasn't caused any damaged to my BF Compact (output was muted anyway).

GuitarGuitar are picking it up on Monday. Now undecided whether to go for replacement (I do like it) or push for refund and look at some of the usual suspects (MB, OTB, PF500...).

But for now, just :( :angry: :(

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1350656787' post='1841888']
By way of a follow up, the Classic 450 is now dead. Defunct. Shuffled off this mortal coil.

Used it this morning, went to switch it on after lunch, loud crack and flash from mains inlet, second pop and flash from the mesh by the carry handle. Result: trip switch went, one dead amp. Hope it hasn't caused any damaged to my BF Compact (output was muted anyway).

GuitarGuitar are picking it up on Monday. Now undecided whether to go for replacement (I do like it) or push for refund and look at some of the usual suspects (MB, OTB, PF500...).

But for now, just :( :angry: :(
[/quote]

If you like it then see how you go with the replacement. Things do go wrong sometimes and it isn't necessarily the amp's fault. One little piece of the puzzle (which TC probably didn't even make) has gone pop and taken the whole shebang down with it.

Thanks for your encouragement guys. I have trawled the web and found no reports of this kind of TC amp death. By contrast, 6 of the 22 buyers (27%!!) reviewing the Ampeg PF500 on the Musician's Friend site have reported power supply failures, or the amp going into fault mode. Best stick with the TC methinks...

I have also PM'd bruce@tc so the TC guys can make sure they get hold of the returned unit for a post-mortem.

I'm delivering my Ashdown rig to vmaxblues tomorrow, so for a short while I will be without a gigging bass amp. Yikes! Just as well I am mainly playing guitar at present... <_<

Aha! I did find one report of a failure similar to what I experienced, only it was in the early days of the RH450 (same power stage as the Classic 450 I presume), reported on [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/my-tc-electronic-rh450-amplifier-died-any-users-had-problems-565716/"]TalkBass[/url]. If mine is only the second reported incident out of all the units TC have shipped, that can't be bad!

Have to say..this would worry me....
I know you can't legislate for certains things failing...but all the same, the only experience
of the last 20 years I've had with things going wrong has been the result of external forces..ie,
amp dropped under power.

Why on earth a component should fail otherwise is not something I've come across ..
Poor qc, design or bad luck ..??

A one off is one thing.... any sort of pattern is not really good enough and something you remember
in brand terms...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1350850256' post='1844321']
Have to say..this would worry me....
I know you can't legislate for certains things failing...but all the same, the only experience
of the last 20 years I've had with things going wrong has been the result of external forces..ie,
amp dropped under power.

Why on earth a component should fail otherwise is not something I've come across ..
Poor qc, design or bad luck ..??

A one off is one thing.... any sort of pattern is not really good enough and something you remember
in brand terms...
[/quote]

Well it [i]does[/i] worry me. Is there a screwy batch? I once bought a brand new CD player - it skipped like a kangaroo on speed. Got it replaced like-for-like - same thing. Ended up shelling out extra for the next model up.

What worries me more is if the replacement goes [color=#ff0000][b]BANG[/b][/color] 18 months down the line. On a gig...

Just to come back on this one, I’ve also replied to JapanAxe’s PO.

We did have a small batch of UK IEC cables that required a “firmer than usual” push into the mains inlet which may have caused an issue for a few people, but this was the only issue I’m aware of on startup and again our failure rate is pretty low.

Cheers

Bruce

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1350902263' post='1844749']
'pretty low' doesn't inspire confidence...... :-)
[/quote]

Ah the joys of English language, having too much to do and typing too fast, actually "pretty low - as far as the industry goes" is what I was trying to type here :)

In hindsight what I should have said is that I've only ever heard of a couple of instances of startup PSU failures with these amps, which based on the number we’ve sold isn’t a bad thing really.

Gets one's coat... ;-)

[quote name='bruce@tc' timestamp='1350927198' post='1845178']
Ah the joys of English language, having too much to do and typing too fast, actually "pretty low - as far as the industry goes" is what I was trying to type here :)

In hindsight what I should have said is that I've only ever heard of a couple of instances of startup PSU failures with these amps, which based on the number we’ve sold isn’t a bad thing really.

Gets one's coat... ;-)
[/quote]

Great response Bruce, and great to have people like you on this forum from the companies we spend our money with :-)

Cheers (and looking forward to hearing a certain Mr King's amps on Sunday night at the RAH :-) )

Graeme

Replacement unit received today and I am one very happy bunny. Spent a few minutes experimenting with the controls and found 'my' sound. The phatness lies on the Low Mid control, not the Bass control.

Full review to follow in the review pages once I've gigged it. (My mistake sticking a review in the wrong forum - d'oh!)

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1350846491' post='1844240']
Aha! I did find one report of a failure similar to what I experienced, only it was in the early days of the RH450 (same power stage as the Classic 450 I presume), reported on [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/my-tc-electronic-rh450-amplifier-died-any-users-had-problems-565716/"]TalkBass[/url]. If mine is only the second reported incident out of all the units TC have shipped, that can't be bad!
[/quote]

That was me! :)

At that time I was not yet in Basschat.

The amp died on me when switching it on at a gig. A flash, white smoke, smell of burnt plastic. That was a Saturday night. On Wednesday (I believe) I had a replacement in my hands. I posted about it on Sunday, I think. I also wrote to TC. On Monday morning I was told my local dealer (Guitar Guitar in Edinburgh) did not have one in stock, so they'd send one from Denmark and I should be able to exchange my dead one for the new replacement on WEdnesday... and that's exactly how it went.
I have used the replacement amp a lot since then, nearly three and a half years ago.
It was disappointing that it failed... but the company responded quickly and I have been enjoying the amp ever since. So, no complaints here.

Edited by mcnach

I've been gigging a classic 450 for two years now. A quick count shows that I've done 177 gigs with it so far. I run it through a Bergantino AE212 and play either a Fender USA 75 reissue jazz or a Yamaha BBG5. I've never owned an amp for two years before. I used to suffer GAS badly but although I have had a wandering eye at times I just can't get past the fact that it looks, sounds and performs beautifully.
Totally agree with previous posts about having too much low end. Low mids are where it's at and I'd rather let the PA worry about the mega low stuff.