Why become a member? ×

Rockinbetter Basses

Stag

SImple question - How can these guys get away with making the best Ric fakers ive seen and they get sold in shops, yet Ric "seem" to be more interested in going after people doing private deals for old 70's and 80's fakers?

Dont know if its ever been discussed so please enlighten me! By the way yes I own two Rics and I love them, but I really dont care about people making / selling fakers etc - hardly affects the sale of Fenders and Gibbo's from what ive seen:)

Edited by Stag

I don't know how they get away with it, but I was in Wunjo on Denmark St the other day and I had a play on a fire-glo(?) one. I don't know much about Rics, but for the price they were asking (£440 plus a pack of strings) I thought it was excellent. Played very well, sounded good, looked great and the finish was superb for a guitar of that price. And I'm sure you could get it for less of you shopped around. I would really have to think long and hard about parting with an extra £1K+ for the real McCoy. I was very very tempted and spent a good hour walking around the West End to get rid of the GAS!

Has anyone AB'd a Ric and a Roc? I'd be interested in what Ric aficionados have to say.

Edit: from what I understand Ric have only been able to copy-write to head-stock. Maybe the Roc is slightly different?

Edited by billyapple

I think the whole thing looks like a Ric, thats what made me go "ummm??" - lol

A shop near me has some of them in stock WITH a genuine Ricky... if I dont decide to have beer on my lunch break ill pop in and give them both a go.

I had a play on a Roc last year and was quite impressed by the quality & sound. I don't think it quite matches up to a Ric, but then the quality of those has been known to vary and it's many years since I owned one.

Like billyapple, I had to leave the shop before my hand reached my wallet, as the Roc is kinda close enough to the 'real' thing when you take their relative prices into account

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1349293616' post='1824460']
I don't know how they get away with it, but I was in Wunjo on Denmark St the other day and I had a play on a fire-glo(?) one. I don't know much about Rics, but for the price they were asking (£440 plus a pack of strings) I thought it was excellent. Played very well, sounded good, looked great and the finish was superb for a guitar of that price. And I'm sure you could get it for less of you shopped around. I would really have to think long and hard about parting with an extra £1K+ for the real McCoy. I was very very tempted and spent a good hour walking around the West End to get rid of the GAS!

Has anyone AB'd a Ric and a Roc? I'd be interested in what Ric aficionados have to say.

Edit: from what I understand Ric have only been able to copy-write to head-stock. Maybe the Roc is slightly different?
[/quote]
I haven't found a new Rockinbetter for less than £440 even after a lot of shopping around. They seem to all be around the £450-500 mark at the moment but if anyone knows a cheaper price then please let me know and i may well be persuaded to part with some cash :D

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1349431924' post='1826166']
The price on the ticket was £499, and they offered it to me for £440 plus some strings if - took it there and then. Not a bad endorsement for Wunjo I reckon.
[/quote]
That seems like a good deal. I emailed Wunjo about a Bass they had advertised and found them really helpful.

Simple answer is that it's much cheaper/easier to search the web than to trawl round shops overseas. These days 'underground' means 'off the net' it seems.

AFAIK Rickenbacker is unique in copyrighting their guitar's shapes, certainly in America from the 60s onwards. Fender recently tried the same trick retrospectively but courts told them they had to stick to headstock. Not sure if that applies in the UK but they act like it does...

Rickresource is just so easy to upset it's ridiculous. I went on a few times looking for advice, and questioned some design flaws/features. I had my ancestry questioned, WW2 was mentioned, you name it, you'd think I'd crapped in their granny's bed!

When I showed serious interest in a "Jetglo" Rockinbetter but queried the price rise I was told the earlier Korean made ones were better than the current, but more expensive, Chinese ones. But have no idea if that's true, anyone?

Edited by Big_Stu

I think Rickenbacker are trying to take action. It certainly seems that's the case from John Hall's comments in this thread.

https://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15121&p=169063&hilit=rockinbetter#p169063

Actually, whatever your views on Ric chasing the second hand market (which is self-defeating IMO), the Rockinbetter copies do seem to be pushing the limits in terms of passing off. The headstock shape is identical, the TRC and name is clearly meant to make you think it's a Ric, and on the guitars they've even put the "R" logo on the trapeze tailpiece.

The first Rockinbetter I saw was a Jetglo, it was in Edinburgh's GuitarGuitar for £299. At first take I thought it was a Rick till I saw that Godawful layout on the body. I passed at the time & have regretted it ever since.
Now the prices have gone up I'd have to pass anyway; my intention was to whip out the pickups & the aforementioned Fender cover, have a larger b/w/b scratchplate made along with a couple of Jaydee pickups with b/w stripes installed, possibly with an overdrive and/or coil taps, white Hiwatt style chicken knobs all round (ala Lemmy's mapleglo) and a TRC with "***kinbetter" on it.

The price increase has meant that the extra work would take it into the "what if I don't like it after all that?" territory.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1349614595' post='1828263']
At first take I thought it was a Rick...
[/quote]

Which is why the Rockinbetters are somewhat dubious from the point of view of passing off and trade mark law. In reality, are they any different from the knock-off Chelsea shirts and Rolex watches you see being sold on Oxford Street?

I wouldn't say they were that bad; in the same way that someone who knows or cares about Rolex - or Chelsea, may be taken in for a few seconds but the ones that know their stuff will know whether they're about to be ripped off. There's a world of difference between outright forgery with intent to deceive and something being "styled like".

There have been better copies the Shaftsbury 4001 copy was very good. The Roc is not bad though it is a 34" unlike the 33.25" Ric,& the neck at least on the one I tried was chunky. The one thing that puts me off them is the placement of the treble pickup,to close to the bridge reminds me of the Hondo 4001 copy.

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1349617077' post='1828305']
Which is why the Rockinbetters are somewhat dubious from the point of view of passing off and trade mark law. In reality, are they any different from the knock-off Chelsea shirts and Rolex watches you see being sold on Oxford Street?
[/quote]

The same..fake is fake. A Turkish Gold Rolex looks good from a distance but [b]you[/b] know its a fake. I was at this shop last year and a guy was playing one...he had GAS but when he saw the disgust on my face, he put it down, decided to save for a real one and left the shop :-D It did sound ok though on an Ashdown combo. I've not heard a real Ricky yet but I seen one in a shop and I've got GAS

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1349628773' post='1828446']
The same..fake is fake. A Turkish Gold Rolex looks good from a distance but [b]you[/b] know its a fake. I was at this shop last year and a guy was playing one...he had GAS but when he saw the disgust on my face, he put it down, decided to save for a real one and left the shop :-D It did sound ok though on an Ashdown combo. I've not heard a real Ricky yet but I seen one in a shop and I've got GAS
[/quote]
People often have a look of disgust on their faces when i play Basses in shops :rolleyes:

If someone made a car that looked like an Aston Martin for the price of a Focus, with the Focus's reliability then the people who bought it are unlikely to be in the same demographic as those who'd buy a genuine Aston.

I'd probably buy a Rickenbacker copy but I'm not likely to buy a Rickenbacker. Sorry to the brand snobs (Same as those who get huffy when people say a MIM or Squier cannot be as awesome as a USA made bass).

You hardly stand there and think "Hmmm.. do I buy a Real rolex or a knock-off?". If you have the cash you buy a real one.

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1349628773' post='1828446']
I was at this shop last year and a guy was playing one...he had GAS but when he saw the disgust on my face, [b]he put it down, decided to save for a real one [/b]and left the shop :-D It did sound ok though on an Ashdown combo. I've not heard a real Ricky yet but I seen one in a shop and I've got GAS
[/quote]

No he didn't, what a load of bollocks. He probably made a quick exit, stage left, after he spotted some judgemental mouth breather looking at him with a look of disgust on his face. The kind of repellent, arrogant fool who likes to hang round guitar shops on a Saturday afternoon.