Why become a member? ×

Properly amazed!!!

aj5string

Im head of Music at a school in Somerset. One of my students had been showing interest in the bass (a lot of them do - funny that!), and asked if he could bring in the bass his dad had, and said he could use. He said it was really nice - but that gets said a lot when kids bring in all sorts of cheap 80's things. Anyway, he bought in a battered brown case, opened it up to show me a fretless Wal in pretty much mint condition. Its beautiful! He said he had never know his dad to play it, but 'he used to play in a band'... anyway, I suggested that maybe it would be best not to bring it in in the future and use one of the Yamahas I have at school...

I'm still stunned!

Yep - it was like playing a new bass. The punch and output were massive - even through a small Vox practice amp. It was heavy, but I guess this transfers into the tone... The class were doing a whole group performance, and his root notes were cutting through the mix so clearly; were far more prominant than a more able bassist going through a more powerful amp!

[quote name='aj5string' timestamp='1348760797' post='1817860']
Im head of Music at a school in Somerset. One of my students had been showing interest in the bass (a lot of them do - funny that!), and asked if he could bring in the bass his dad had, and said he could use. He said it was really nice - but that gets said a lot when kids bring in all sorts of cheap 80's things. Anyway, he bought in a battered brown case, opened it up to show me a fretless Wal in pretty much mint condition. Its beautiful! He said he had never know his dad to play it, but 'he used to play in a band'... anyway, I suggested that maybe it would be best not to bring it in in the future and use one of the Yamahas I have at school...

I'm still stunned!
[/quote]

Didnt know you were in Okehampton, I got married there just last Saturday at the town hall! (The Mrs comes from Broadwoodwidger)

Somerset though? Bit of a commute everyday?

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1348790302' post='1818441']
Didnt know you were in Okehampton, I got married there just last Saturday at the town hall! (The Mrs comes from Broadwoodwidger)

[/quote]

Ah - no way! It is a cool little town, would be really good for a nice chilled wedding. The commute is a bit mental, but the pay for being Head of Department kind of offsets it...

[quote name='aj5string' timestamp='1348856882' post='1819266']
It did cross my mind :-) I got him to leave it in my office - for safety obviously - and explained that I would play on it during the day!
[/quote]
Nice story. Makes you think of all those beautiful basses tucked away somewhere never seeing the light of day (well it does me anyway)

Music often isn't a great way to make a good living, and people do fall out of it and find "better" ways to survive. Stick the bass in a cupboard, and why buy another cheapie if there is a good one in the house?

Wals are a holy grail bass now, but they were pretty common not that long ago and didn't command any special value (compared to JD's Mansons Overwaters etc). Both mine cost around £650 used in the late 80's and mid 90's and I don't recall the prices going up until the company started to publicly fail. I guess they are still generally as heavy as mine were..and that was a big issue for me after a couple of years, I just didn't find them comfortable to play.

Must be a nice distraction though....and certainly makes a change from all the Yam/Fender copies. My only similar experience was a student with a 70's Ric, not really in the same league.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1348790302' post='1818441']

[/quote]

Congrats on the Wedding mate, I remember when you two got engaged!