Why become a member? ×

Good cabs

Phil-osopher10

I went markbass to barefaced, to bergantino. IMHO I found that the barefaced were my least favourite of the three in terms of sound and build quality, and seemed no louder at gigs. The bergantino were miles ahead of both in every respect, in particular sound.
That said I can see me giving barefaced another try in the future because of the weight which is very liberating, and I've started to simply be less fussy about my tone too, as in all honesty I realised that no one else cares, so I may as well save weight!

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1348290591' post='1811921']
I really like Markbass cabs. They seem to me to have really nice tight/focused sound. No flabby tones.
[/quote]

+1. I`ve been knocked out by how good my Markbass 104HR is. I can get that "felt as well as heard" sound, with virtually flat eq, just VPF on the amp on full. My previous faves have been Ampeg, but I just can`t lift them any more, just a bit too heavy for my back now, and Schroeder. Schros are amazing, don`t sound too ncie on their own, a bit scratchy/nasally, but sit so well in the mix, plus they sound the same wherever you stand (aside from maybe behind them).

That said, the Markbass cab takes it for me. It sounds great both on its own, and in the mix, and the tweeter, whilst adding definition to the notes, is not clicky, and if you like a bassy sound, but without that boom that sometimes accompanies this, this cab does it fantastically.

Never thought a brand would take my preference over Ampeg, but Markbass has.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1348300216' post='1811968']
+1. I`ve been knocked out by how good my Markbass 104HR is. I can get that "felt as well as heard" sound, with virtually flat eq, just VPF on the amp on full. My previous faves have been Ampeg, but I just can`t lift them any more, just a bit too heavy for my back now, and Schroeder. Schros are amazing, don`t sound too ncie on their own, a bit scratchy/nasally, but sit so well in the mix, plus they sound the same wherever you stand (aside from maybe behind them).

That said, the Markbass cab takes it for me. It sounds great both on its own, and in the mix, and the tweeter, whilst adding definition to the notes, is not clicky, and if you like a bassy sound, but without that boom that sometimes accompanies this, this cab does it fantastically.

Never thought a brand would take my preference over Ampeg, but Markbass has.
[/quote]

The 104HR is a great cab. I've seen it take some stick from the 104HF fans, but having tried both I actively prefer my HR for that really controlled bottom end that, as you say, stops it being 'boomy'.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1348292280' post='1811926']
I went markbass to barefaced, to bergantino. IMHO I found that the barefaced were my least favourite of the three in terms of sound and build quality, and seemed no louder at gigs. The bergantino were miles ahead of both in every respect, in particular sound.
That said I can see me giving barefaced another try in the future because of the weight which is very liberating, and I've started to simply be less fussy about my tone too, as in all honesty I realised that no one else cares, so I may as well save weight!
[/quote]

See, I couldn't do this.... I had all sorts of sound problems last night...and I think I need to get my amp serviced as it survived a car crash.. but our gig went down a storm and I couldn't enjoy in because of my sound.
Sure, it wasn't the cabs tho.... but I pretty pi$$ed today about it....

I run my eq pretty flat on the walkabout and only make small adjustment when required.

Personally I would love to try the vanderkley and bergs as I have played through the barefaced compact and midget and they were okay (midget being my favourite by far) but I preferred the sound to my scout extension cab. I have never put the aggie's in the same league as the aforementioned cabs, should I?

I'm very intrigued by gafbass02, what were the tonal differences between the three?

I love my EBS cabs. Very tight, clean and loud. The tweeters in those cabs are probably the quietest I have ever used.

I used Hartke for a few years way back and I really liked the tone from the XL410 cabs I had. Not the loudest cabs in the world, but the response and attack from those speakers are amazing.

I've just gone back to EBS Prolines after an unsuccessful detour into TC gear.

I'm so happy again now with my sound. The Genz Benz Streamliner 900 pushes a lot of power into the Proline 410 and being very sensitive, it's a HUUUUUGGGGEEEE sound. There's a lot of attack and "click" available if I want it from the cab, but it mellows out wonderfully if I change the tone from my bass. The combination just works really well and it really sensitive to the nuances of what I'm doing in the set.

The best compliment I had was from the keyboard player (who's opinion I trust implicitly) who said to me "wow, that's got so much definition and punch".

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:112684]

Aguilar DB. I've not found anything as good. The tone is spot on. I really don't care about weight anymore...Im through with chasing light. If its light, bonus, if its not, but sounds fantastic, then I'm happy. Lightweight nowadays applies a lot more to amps for me...as usually I use backline cabs. If I need to shift one of my cabs I just get someone else on the other handle.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1348304911' post='1812041']
I've played Bergantino AE cabs exclusively for the last 5 years.

Aguilar cabs sound very good but they are too heavy for me these days.

How good are you with your EQ? A good ear and a good amp can make almost any cab sound great.
[/quote]

SL112s weight next to nothing

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]In all your playing days what cabs really stand out?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The best sound I've ever had was through four 4x12 Sound City cabs driven by 2 Marshall super bass 100s. The Marshalls were just ticking over but the sound was immense. Full, clear, loads of bottom and I could hear it where ever I went on stage. Not overpowering, just there. It wouldn't be practical to carry that many cabs and heads now but I do regret getting rid of them. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I also had a pretty amazing sound with 4 Vox Foundation cabs, four 1x18s, driven by 100w valve heads. Again impractical, but I do miss them.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2 Vox T60 cabs, 15s and 12s, with a Roost 100w valve head sounded pretty good too. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I wonder at times if all the advances manufacturers are making are sometimes not a backward step when it comes to sound.[/font][/color]

Edited by bertbass

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' timestamp='1348306981' post='1812079']
I run my eq pretty flat on the walkabout and only make small adjustment when required.

Personally I would love to try the vanderkley and bergs as I have played through the barefaced compact and midget and they were okay (midget being my favourite by far) but I preferred the sound to my scout extension cab. I have never put the aggie's in the same league as the aforementioned cabs, should I?

I'm very intrigued by gafbass02, what were the tonal differences between the three?
[/quote]

Just off to a gig but ill try to reply ASAP :)

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' timestamp='1348277539' post='1811905']
Hello,

With all the barefaced love that we get on these pages I was wondering if anyone had tried them along with other high end cabs, bergs, vanderkley etc? In all your playing days what cabs really stand out?
[/quote]

The best sounding cab I've played through was a battered 1970's guitar 4x12 - not particularly loud but had some nice "natural" distortion :lol:

The Schroeder in my sig does exactly what I need it to - very very loud yet provides the sound I'm after, lightweight and much cheaper on the used market than other cabs mentioned here ;)

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' timestamp='1348306981' post='1812079']

[/quote]

I've played through VanDv, Berg and I much prefer my Ag DB's. Different config of 2x210 against 2x112 and I didn't get much time on the VanDv, but I use Berg 112's as my second rig where space and carry are factors and for the most important gigs I go with the Aguilars. I like to carry light but not when it really matters.

The Ag DB210 are ceramic
and the Berg are NEO..as are the VanDv.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VJfcD2XHls"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VJfcD2XHls[/url]

I know that it is a youtube video and therefore doesn't capture all the subtleties but nevertheless I think it gives a good broad indication as to how the cabs sound, Personally I found the DB to be 'muffled' not enough clarity. The DNA sounded lifeless, and the berg was the best out of the three. I tried to do a blind test as best I could to pick out my favourite to start.

This is my opinion of course.

I loved my markbass cabs (102p atop a 102hf) and I was an early adopter, moving from a huge trace stack. [IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/gafbass02/my%20bass%20stuff/100_1432.jpg[/IMG]
I found the markbass had great punch and a very versatile tone, but the cone excursion always scared me and I noticed that the brilliant tone I heard, really didn't project well at all, and what the audience heard was very, very different, lots of click and not much 'oomph'
Still amazing cabs, and I'd still own them happily though.
[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/gafbass02/100_2704.jpg[/IMG]
A change of circumstances meant I needed the lightest rig possible, so barefaced it was, I bought a midget T and compact. I also at the same time bought a Promethean p5110 and matching 1x10 cab.
The Barefaced rig was well timed for a summers heavy festival gigging.
In terms of appearance I was disappointed, people took the mick out of my 'home made' speakers, and the band were aghast that my smart rig had turned into something with squishy foam sticking out and badges that didn't match up etc. The finish was slippy, the handle made putting an amp on tricky, and the finish reacted with sorbothane feet, that and I couldn't use my snazzy markbass bass holders lol.
no one complained when it came time to lift though. ;)
The form factor was amazing! So practical.
But the sound I never liked. Despite all the science, to me, the compact sounded exactly like what it is. A 15 in a smaller box. So all the aspects one would 'traditionally' expect from that. A lack of bite and clarity, a Warmer, slower sound, with not much natural real low end without eq'ing it in.
A very old school thuddy sound that reminded me of the old carlsbro etc stuff in studios when I was younger, not the tight, punch I'd got from my tens.

I added a midget T.
This I still describe as an amazing 'tool'. It's a Swiss Army knife. A great box. So portable and will get you heard if its all you've got with you.
But it gets you heard by sounding like what it is:
A 12" speaker in a small box.
Lots of middy bark and bite. Not at all a pleasent tone, but one that will cut through.
I found I hated the dry, barky yet hollow '12' sound still. Again it just lacked the sound I was after. It made everything sound like a neck pickup solo'd, I'm more a tight, bridge pickup favoured, compressed, modern punch kinda guy.
But I could carry it to town instead of driving and gig with it. So that's pretty awesome!!
(Less so for the alcohol intake!)
[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/gafbass02/5a19b68a.jpg[/IMG]
Together they sounded, well, like a barky twelve with an aggressive tweeter sat on top of a woofy, old school 15", certainly no louder than the markbass rig, but with a less 'together' sound and less punchy and tight. [IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/gafbass02/f362c845.jpg[/IMG]
I found I preferred the Promethean stack....till every piece of it broke!
[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/gafbass02/182393fa.jpg[/IMG]
I changed my amp from the little mark two I'd been using to a shuttle. 9.

Better.

But the silly dual input levels, flashy peak led's and somewhat underwhelming power section started to annoy.
That along with the switchy buttons not being well chosen frequency wise and the lack of control over low and high mids seperately saw me head back to markbass for a MoMark 800.

By this time I'd passed my driving test and weight was no longer such an issue. I ended selling on both midget T's I'd ended up owning.

I picked up a bergantino AE210.

After twenty years gigging and sooooo many rigs (this ain't all of them by a loooong shot!) it was an incredible leap forwards.
Depth with punch and tightness of tone.
Definition and clarity with no glassy harshness.
Good form factor and responsive to EQ. No cone drama. Just an amazing amazing sound with a '3D' quality that fills rooms and sounds as good in the crowd as it does next to it, and they look so slick and pro.
A little weighty compared to the barefaced. But for now ill cope.
When a second one came up for sale it was a no brainer and the compact was sold to fund it. Job done. [IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/gafbass02/f544a869.jpg[/IMG]
I never imagined that a couple of 2x10 cabs could be the thing that's made the biggest difference in my sound and ease of playing/playing comfort/lack of stress over tone etc

But they did.

The markbass was great, the bigger cab was a tad big, the smaller one a tad small. The projection not great and the cones moved a lot! But I liked em.

The barefaced were a solution to a specific issue, ie weight. But in every other way they did nothing for me or my bass playing buddy.
(Who, having not invested in them told me this all straight away the first time he heard them, but i carried on trying to convince myself for a long time before facing up to the fact that he was dead right!)
Shame cause supporting home grown industry is a great thing, and Alex is doing a brilliant job.
Just not for me I guess. Maybe one day.

And the Bergs, just great, but I'm a sucker for GAS/financial crisis, so never say never.

All IMHO ime, ymmv etc etc

Edited by gafbass02