Why become a member? ×

Strap height

chrismuzz

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1348407634' post='1813204']
In the first picture your right hand looks strained and you're having to attack the strings at a funny angle. Your left hand thumb is coming over the neck and you're fretting heavily with your index finger. In the second picture, your left hand looks much better but your right hand still looks like its in a difficult position. That means better in second pic IMO
[/quote]

You paid closer attention than even me! Thanks for the comments, its a work in progress haha :) I've got a way to go to find a perfect balance between performance and cool factor ;)

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1348390955' post='1812933']
If I saw a bassist changing strap height throughout a set i'd be in absolute awe - i'd assume he was an expert and needed to get that last 0.0001% of expression and feeling out of his playing.

Top trumps to you today me thinks :)
[/quote]

That 0.0001% of expression and feeling comes in handy with the 0.0001% of talent I've got. :P

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1348336624' post='1812563']
It's probably something I'll live to regret admitting but I tend to change my strap height several times during a set. I've got Comfort Strapps on my basses which allow me to easily and quickly alter the height.
[/quote]
Wow..that seems like too much of a ball ache to me.Also,often there isn't enough time to do stuff like
that on most of my gigs.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1348423551' post='1813459']
Wow..that seems like too much of a ball ache to me.Also,often there isn't enough time to do stuff like
that on most of my gigs.
[/quote]

Trust me, no ball ache at all. It takes a couple of seconds, I simply reach behind, grab the buckle and slide down or up to shorten or lengthen it. Job done.

As stated though, it's probably only the design and construction of the Comfort Strapp that allows me to do that.

[url="http://comfortstrapp.com/"]http://comfortstrapp.com/[/url]

T

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1348428638' post='1813550']
Trust me, no ball ache at all. It takes a couple of seconds, I simply reach behind, grab the buckle and slide down or up to shorten or lengthen it. Job done.

As stated though, it's probably only the design and construction of the Comfort Strapp that allows me to do that.

[url="http://comfortstrapp.com/"]http://comfortstrapp.com/[/url]

T
[/quote]
I use Comfort Strapp too,but I still think it'll be a ball ache on most gigs.Also,to be honest,I don't see the point.
I can see the point of having a lower strung bass on a rock gig or whatever,but changing strap length multiple
times in a set seems rather excessive to me.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1348431757' post='1813621']
I use Comfort Strapp too,but I still think it'll be a ball ache on most gigs.Also,to be honest,I don't see the point.
I can see the point of having a lower strung bass on a rock gig or whatever,but changing strap length multiple
times in a set seems rather excessive to me.
[/quote]

Why excessive? It's momentary tweak. I take longer picking up a plectrum. Or having a drink. Or walking over to the guitarist to lift my leg to "leave a little fragrant gift". Or maybe adjusting my foil wrapped cucumber as it's slipped a bit.

I do a couple of covers bands. Two hours + of completely different music. I ain't gonna be sticking my foot on the monitor giving it large playing "sex on fire" or "mr brightside" with the bass up under my rib cage where it was more comfortable to play finger style or slapped in "she said" or "forget you".

Ultimately, no one in the audience seems to notice or care, it just makes sense to me from a technical point of view and is a bit more comfortable for me. Each to their own eh?

Edited by tonyf

I tried having my strap a couple of inches higher on a gig the other night.
Actually it was slightly easier to play, even on my Sabre which has always been slightly more hard work than my Jazz basses.

However...

Not only did I feel I looked like a bit of a muso (not in a good way, I mean the way where you look like a T-Rex), it gave me backache! (which was an unpleasant surprise) so its going back to where it was and I'll just keep practicing.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1348484017' post='1814031']
Not only did I feel I looked like a bit of a muso (not in a good way, I mean the way where you look like a T-Rex), it gave me backache! (which was an unpleasant surprise) so its going back to where it was and I'll just keep practicing.
[/quote]

Interesting! I used to get sharp pains in my back, around the right shoulder blade when I was a teenager... Had the strap pretty damn high then! Maybe it was due to my plucking arm being at such a weird angle?

IMHO and all that......

I think the lower the strap height the cooler you look. Right down to the point when it is actually [b]below [/b]you crotch and then you suddenly tip over from 'cool' to 'completely naff'. :P

(Just in fun guys. This is from someone who could never play my bass at crotch level as I need to have my eyes glued to the fretboard at all times, lol :lol: )

Finger style belly area for comfort. Mainly for the 6 string.

The 4 string I use for a metal band Pick style so its set around the groin area becasue the right arm feels more comfortable straighter...but the left hand suffers a bit. Good thing I only need 2 strings and thefirst 7 frets.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1348267286' post='1811824']
So this year I've been practicing on keeping my technique at the same level, whilst lowering my strap gradually...

Does anyone else care this much about how they look? :lol:

In the last few months I've gone from this

To this

Am I cool or what??

:unsure:
[/quote]ccol mine is more the forst picture height my pickups are in line with my bellybutton

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1348484514' post='1814042']
Interesting! I used to get sharp pains in my back, around the right shoulder blade when I was a teenager... Had the strap pretty damn high then! Maybe it was due to my plucking arm being at such a weird angle?
[/quote]

Yep that's exactly where I got it.
[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1348488003' post='1814139']
I never had lessons, but a book I brought which taught me fingerstyle said the strap height is best set to the same as sitting, so Ive always done this more or less.
[/quote]
Doesn't it depend on how you're sitting?