Why become a member? ×

Opinions on Ampeg PF500 and GK MB 500

Stance

Hey guys

I´m tired of breaking my back carrying my GK 700RB-II /Ampeg 1X15 every weekend from gig to gig!

I´m thinking on getting a lighter amp that would give me the sound I get from my GK.

I´ve tried the Aguilar Tone Hammer, but it´s way to expensive.

Tried the EBS, but didn´t liked it at all!

For the money I want to spend I´m stuck with the PF500 or the MB500-the former I can try it here, but the GK doesn´t get imported to Portugal .

Any thoughts on both of these class-D heads.

I´m trying to maintain the sound I get from my GK700, but without all the Kgs!

Thanks

I've not heard your GK amp but I bought the ampeg head a few weeks back.

I've had class D amps before, the SWR and Genz and found them to be too clean with no soul. I then went back to good old linear amps with all the weight problems but with a better sound.

Now my back is getting old and tired so I was forced to take a second look at class D amps. I tried the Ampeg thinking I would hate it as I have never been a fan of Ampeg except the mighty SVT.

The sound is very transparent without the sterile sound I found with the SWR and Genz. It has a warm punchy sound.

If you drive the input into clipping it does not sound very natural , it breaks up like a broken drive unit. Best to use an out board effects unit if you want it to distort.

I really like the compressor as it works well and has a sound I really like. At high settings it allows a lot of the start of the note through and then clamps it down, it's not transparent but has bags of character.

The eg is good. It seems to do very little until turned passed the 3 o'clock position then comes in very strong. I boost the bass to 3 o'clock, mid frequency set to 800hz with a little boost and top set flat. Perfect for a P bass. For a jazz I just punch in the bass and top boost switches which adds bass and top with a lower mid frequency cut.

I was also very impressed by the 1x15 portaflex cabs, these sealed cabs partner the amp really well. They have a similar sound that compliments each other. Warm with punch.

Now for the good bit.... Cost.

I can't believe the cost of the amp and cabs, around £350 each. I have owned very high end and expensive kit from glockenklang and the excellent Warwick Helborg rig and find the Ampeg to punch well above its weight in both sound and cost.

I'm very impressed.

Edited by voxpop

Likewise.

I got my PF500 for £250 and it'll do for many many years! Lovely Ampeg sound, fits into a laptop bag and has all the mod-cons you'd expect these days. As mentioned, the compressor sounds natural and unobtrusive (if you like that sort of thing) and using the full 500w gets some serious volume! I've always been a 'leave the amp flat and fiddle with the onboard EQ to get your sound' kind of guy so I can't really comment on the EQ. The Deep button adds a little sub if you need to fill a room with lovely creamy bass.

Lozz196 will be by soon, he's owned both.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1348253137' post='1811555']
Likewise.

I got my PF500 for £250 and it'll do for many many years! Lovely Ampeg sound, fits into a laptop bag and has all the mod-cons you'd expect these days. As mentioned, the compressor sounds natural and unobtrusive (if you like that sort of thing) and using the full 500w gets some serious volume! I've always been a 'leave the amp flat and fiddle with the onboard EQ to get your sound' kind of guy so I can't really comment on the EQ. The Deep button adds a little sub if you need to fill a room with lovely creamy bass.

Lozz196 will be by soon, he's owned both.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Here I am, I really am that predictable :)

As above for the PF500 really, Alex has really nailed the description there. Re the GK MB500, great amp too, gets the classic GK sound, crisp and biting, with that grind if you push it. Pair it with the right cab and it really does that Duff McKagan sound very well, Of course, the crispness can be rolled back, and then some surprisingly warm old-school sounds can be coaxed from it. But of course, doing the GK sound is where it excels.

+1 again for the PF500. They got a bad pres a while ago, only ever had an issue with a dodgy cab at a dodgy rehersal place. It's portability is great - I shove the head in a bag and use it for rehersals through the studio's Peavey 1x15. Not tried the GK but I love my PF-500 to bits.

I've not tried either, but going on what folk are saying, if you want the GK sound, get the GK (a bit of "stating the obvious" for ya :) ).
I'd go & try a few & see what you like. You might find you prefer the Ampeg to the GK, or maybe something different again.

Try several amps is my only advice.

I use a PF500 and run it through a Barefaced Compact and I'm very happy with the pairing. I've never had any issues with the amp. It produces a sound I like.
However, if you're looking for the GK sound, then get a GK.
Try out the PF500 if you can and cross it off your list if you don't like it.

I've got a PF500 and never had any problems with it, running 4 or 8 ohms. I also have a GK MB Fusion. They're both great amps, the GK is more "my sound" so I'll probably be moving the PF500 on, but I would be happy to recommend both. If you like the sound of your GK combo, a GK micro amp is going to get close, probably closer than the Ampeg.

I wouldn't worry about the made in China thing - these guys are making some scarily good quality products.

As someone who's owned many a GK amp, if that's the sound you like then go with the GK. As soon as I get the cash together I will be selling my Hartke LH500 and going back to GK as its the only amp that can give me my sound.

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1348531806' post='1814986']
I'm using the GK 700RB-ll, with an Ampeg SVT410HLF. My cab is 85 pounds. For me the head is worth every ounce, or what ever weight measurement you go by. I'd stick with the GK 700RB-ll.
[/quote]

I don´t plan to sell my GK- I´m just tired and getting old lol so a little less weight to carry around would be great!

Thanks again for all the answers!

• 4 weeks later...

The Carvin BX500 is pretty cool.

300W at 8 ohms & 500 at 4ohms but will also go down to 2ohms (where it's limited to 500w). Reason for stating this is that it means you can run a single 4ohm cab for smaller gigs and get the full 500w but also have the option to add a 2nd 4ohm cab for bigger gigs - no extra power but the additional air movement will definitely make it feel louder & give more throw etc.

Not sure about portuguese pricing but the Carvin is about £350 over here - it's also USA made as far as I know (and it doesn't have that rep, undeserved or not, for cutting out like the PF series does).

Thanks for th tip, but I played with a Carvin a couple of months ago, but I was put down by the amount of knobs I had to tweak to get the sound I normally pay with... (Altough I can´t say that it was th model you were reffering to.)

Edited by Stance

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1348557392' post='1815037']
I wouldn't worry about the made in China thing - these guys are making some scarily good quality products.

As someone who's owned many a GK amp, if that's the sound you like then go with the GK. As soon as I get the cash together I will be selling my Hartke LH500 and going back to GK as its the only amp that can give me my sound.
[/quote]

I did what you are saying you want to do. I changed out a Hartke LH500 head, for the GK 700RB-ll head. The LH500 was fine. It just wasn't the sound the GK 700RB-ll puts out. I'm sold on GK heads. Best of luck with your move.

If I wanted a lightweight 500w amp with a tube preamp, I'd buy the Carvin BX500 sight unseen. I once bought a Carvin power amp online without ever having seen one because the price was right, and the quality, sound, and reliability were all I'd hoped for. Specs and a link to a BP review are at http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BX500

I have a trouble free PF500 that I use with an assortment of cabs including SVT 15, SVT 410, HLF410 and an Ashdown mini 48.
It always nails the sound I need whatever size room or cab I`m using and it fits inside a small peli case with room for cables etc.
It`s the one thing I have that I haven`t considered selling since I bought it :)

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1350892719' post='1844624']
I have a trouble free PF500 that I use with an assortment of cabs including SVT 15, SVT 410, HLF410 and an Ashdown mini 48.
It always nails the sound I need whatever size room or cab I`m using and it fits inside a small peli case with room for cables etc.
It`s the one thing I have that I haven`t considered selling since I bought it :)
[/quote]

+1

I'm forever selling amps because either the sound is just not what I was expecting or the thing is so heavy.
The Ampeg has the right sound and fits in a gig bag... perfect to my eyes and ears.

[quote name='Stance' timestamp='1350758218' post='1843243']
Thanks for th tip, but I played with a Carvin a couple of months ago, but I was put down by the amount of knobs I had to tweak to get the sound I normally pay with... (Altough I can´t say that it was th model you were reffering to.)
[/quote]

Stance, if you're interested in hearing the Carvin there's one for sale not too far away from Lisboa ;)

[url="http://www.baixistas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2049"]http://www.baixistas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2049[/url]

Abraço

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1350905059' post='1844788']
Stance, if you're interested in hearing the Carvin there's one for sale not too far away from Lisboa ;)

[url="http://www.baixistas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2049"]http://www.baixistas...php?f=16&t=2049[/url]

Abraço
[/quote]
It´s a small worls! Ihad just talked to him! On sunday I´m going to try his PF500 and since I´m there, that Carvin.

Thanks for the tip though

abraço