Why become a member? ×

What makes a bass look really cool or really ugly ? Any candidates ?

Black Coffee

Make that 5 that don't like the look of Fenders. I like everything about them apart from that hideous top horn! (we need a "Puke" smiley)

So to me, Fenders ain't cool. But they're good workhorses.

Cool basses need to have "style" about them. So like Fat Rich say's, it's down to a person's taste.

But for the final word on cool...

Transfer on the headstock is a new one.
Just as you say, exactly like wearing the local pound shop ties and somebody finding out, or riding your girlfriends bike and your mates seeing you astride a sparkly pink hardtail special as you dash to the shop . . . . .

been there done that - and all because I spent my money on the transfer on the heasdstock of my bass.
Unfortunately it's sad but very true.
and er. . . I'm guilty.

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1348409373' post='1813235']
What's the skinny on the 'Cool Bass' ?
[/quote]
It's Les Claypool's (well...it was). That's what makes it cool (but not as cool as his Carl Thompsons).

I think that most Singlecut basses look really cool,but think that pointy basses,like a lot of BC Rich and ESP's,look
terrible.
I think that Stuart Zender's old airbrushed Warwick Streamer looked awesome,but TM Stevens looks awful.
I like the look of a lot of Ibanez basses,but they ruin loads of them (mostly the signature models) by putting on
stupid graphics and/or inlays (The K5 is ruined by that daft inlay,otherwise it's really nice).
As far as Fenders go,generally I like them but the finish makes a huge difference with regards to their coolness.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1348426545' post='1813509']
It's Les Claypool's (well...it was). That's what makes it cool (but not as cool as his Carl Thompsons).

I think that most Singlecut basses look really cool,but think that pointy basses,like a lot of BC Rich and ESP's,look
terrible.
I think that Stuart Zender's old airbrushed Warwick Streamer looked awesome,but TM Stevens looks awful.
I like the look of a lot of Ibanez basses,but they ruin loads of them (mostly the signature models) by putting on
stupid graphics and/or inlays (The K5 is ruined by that daft inlay,otherwise it's really nice).
As far as Fenders go,generally I like them but the finish makes a huge difference with regards to their coolness.
[/quote]

Thank you. Is it a CT? it looks fantastic.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1348300395' post='1811970']
So like Fat Rich say's, it's down to a person's taste.

But for the final word on cool...

[/quote]

Like this a lot.

That said, my £40 cash convertor Stagg, sunburst with white guard is the antithesis of what I would really choose to own but is cool because it was accessible for me to learn on. Was always intended to be a buy it and see if you stick with it type purchase but now I'm sticking with it I'd rather spend money on lessons than upgrades.......for now. ;)

[quote]
Like this a lot.

That said, my £40 cash convertor Stagg, sunburst with white guard is the antithesis of what I would really choose to own but is cool because it was accessible for me to learn on. Was always intended to be a buy it and see if you stick with it type purchase but now I'm sticking with it I'd rather spend money on lessons than upgrades.......for now. ;)
[/quote]

Sounds like a plan.