Why become a member? ×

eminence kappa pro 15 vs Eminence Kappalite 3015LF

skidder652003

ok so thanks to some great advice from fellow BC'rs instead of poncing around with a 210 im thinking of going down the route of upgrading a 115 cab with one of these (apparantly) awesome speakers!
Does anybody of have experience of these speakers and their opinion of them would be much apprciated as they're pretty pricey to stump up for without knowing what they're about.
Thanks again guys!

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1347718921' post='1804317']

Does anybody of have experience of these speakers and their opinion of them would be much apprciated

[/quote]Opinions are subjective, and everyone's will be different. Where replacing drivers is concerned just as important are the driver specs, which must be compatable with the cabinet:
http://www.eminence.com/support/understanding-loudspeaker-data/

For best results you, or someone willing to donate their time, need to use speaker modeling software to see how the two drivers will work in your cab, if at all, then compare the results objectively.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1347728336' post='1804416']
thanks Bill
im not going to find anybody round here with the time or inclination TBH!
Ive ordered the kappalite 3015LF and im gonna bung it my old ashdown 115 deep mag cab or my warwick wca 115 and hope for the best! Trial and error on this one im afraid!
[/quote]

Actually on this forum you would have done. Patience, patience.

I assume you've checked out the following page.

[url="http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappalite_3015LF.pdf"]http://www.eminence....lite_3015LF.pdf[/url]

So to the basics - you want an enclosure between 99 and 195 litres. Work out the internal volume of both the boxes and select the one that's the best fit in terms of volume. Then I can tell you what woodwork you need to carry out.

Balcro.

Edited by Balcro

thanks Bill
Ive ordered the kappalite 3015LF and im gonna bung it my old ashdown 115 deep mag cab or my warwick wca 115 and hope for the best! Trial and error on this one im afraid!
[/quote]

Good choice. These are top of the range speakers and because they're neodynium they're really light too. Because it's brand new it will take a while to loosen up. You can use this 25 hz sound file from barefaced cabs to run through it for a few hrs to get a full bass response quicker if you like. [url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information.htm"]http://barefacedbass...information.htm[/url]

This basschat topic may convince you that you've done the right thing [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/164769-what-a-difference-a-speaker-makes-eminence-love-enclosed-within/page__p__1494803__hl__eminence%20kappalite__fromsearch__1#entry1494803"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/164769-what-a-difference-a-speaker-makes-eminence-love-enclosed-within/page__p__1494803__hl__eminence%20kappalite__fromsearch__1#entry1494803[/url]

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1347734083' post='1804497']
You'll likely need a crossover and a midrange for a not dull or weird sound from a 3015LF. The 3015 not LF works pretty well in a Mag 15 cab though.
[/quote]+1. The LF is a subwoofer driver, with scant highs. It also has less sensitivity than the standard 3015, and requires a larger box for good results. OP, if you can cancel the LF for a standard 3015 you should do so.

thanks Bill
[/quote]
[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1347746361' post='1804659']
+1. The LF is a subwoofer driver, with scant highs. It also has less sensitivity than the standard 3015, and requires a larger box for good results. OP, if you can cancel the LF for a standard 3015 you should do so.
[/quote]

If it was Blue Aran you bought it off you won't have any problem changing the order just give them a call.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1347734083' post='1804497']
You'll likely need a crossover and a midrange for a not dull or weird sound from a 3015LF. The 3015 not LF works pretty well in a Mag 15 cab though.
[/quote]Sorry but this is good advice, you'll have a much better sound from the non-LF. The LF is really meant as a PA driver to work with a horn. Change it if you can. At least it's a neo if you have to pay postage,

See...glad you posted and got pointed in the right direction..as your post somewhere on here which said you were just going to run with trial and error was not something I would have done...
and with some good pointers from this page you can expect reasonable results.
You may even get someone who could tell you how to port it should you need to do so.

BC in action..it works sometimes. :lol:

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1347780354' post='1804778']
Thanks guys, have emailed blue aran to change order to standard 3015
Bc comes up with the goods once again! Mr Starr see you on Lemonrock!
[/quote]

Hi, guess you won't want my old Black Widow then. :(

If you can give us the internal dimensions of the cabs you have and the sizes of the ports then we will calculate the sizes of the new ports for you. The Mag looks to be about 100l and the Warwick 150ish so either will be possibilities. You should end up with a good sounding speaker.

Phil.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1347890985' post='1806196']

If you can give us the internal dimensions of the cabs you have and the sizes of the ports then we will calculate the sizes of the new ports for you. The Mag looks to be about 100l and the Warwick 150ish so either will be possibilities. You should end up with a good sounding speaker.

Phil.
[/quote]

Ha! It looks like we're working in parallel.

I've done the same calculations and get volumes of 90-95 litres for the Ashdown and about 150-155 for the Warwick. The advantage for the Warwick, if I assume correctly, is the existence of 4 ports. That might save on the woodwork. This driver does seem to like a lot of ventilation in order to keep the port noise down!

Balcro.

ah i was wondering about this "porting" thing!
The Warwick WCA 115 cab is deffo bigger (and more solid) with 4 ports as opposed to the ashdowns 2 rear ports. Ive actually changed my order now to a kappa pro 15 (its 60 quid cheaper) but a lot heavier so i was thinking the warwicks more solid construction might be more appropriate. Ive heard these kappa pro 15's are are monsters. Arriving tomorrow, ive downloaded the 25Hz break-in sine wave from Barefaced. It feels like the arrival of a newborn and getting the crib ready!!!!!! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1347915958' post='1806704']
The Kappa pro 15 is a whole bunch less suited to the purpose than the Kappalite, different driver. Handles loads less power.
[/quote]+1, about 75% less. Output is limited by driver excursion, not the thermal power rating. With 1/2 the excursion of the 3015 the Kappa Pro can actually make use of 1/4 the power, giving 6dB less output. That translates to needing two Kappa Pro loaded cabs to equal one 3015.

thanks Bill
[/quote]

I did exactly this and it worked for me, I love the 3015LF and it sounds great in the Ashdown MAG.
It sounds even better in the Flite cab it's now in, which is a smaller box and must be the lightest 15" cab in existence, while sounding very deep, loud and smooth.
So good, I got another for big gigs, but the other has the original Eminence ceramic driver, (can't remember the model) and it sounds more middy and less deep.
Together, they make a great noise and they are very loud, but I mostly use just the 3015LF loaded cab and prefer it to any other cab I've had.

Thing is, I play mostly reggae and don't use any upper mid or treble - it's all about deep smooth bass for me.

Edited by redstriper

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1347921930' post='1806817']
I did exactly this and it worked for me, I love the 3015LF and it sounds great in the Ashdown MAG.
It sounds even better in the Flite cab it's now in, which is a smaller box and must be the lightest 15" cab in existence, while sounding very deep, loud and smooth.
So good, I got another for big gigs, but the other has the original Eminence ceramic driver, (can't remember the model) and it sounds more middy and less deep.
Together, they make a great noise and they are very loud, but I mostly use just the 3015LF loaded cab and prefer it to any other cab I've had.

Thing is, I play mostly reggae and don't use any upper mid or treble - it's all about deep smooth bass for me.
[/quote]

Likewise, I use a 3015LF in 120 litres with the port tuned to 37Hz...no boom, just deeper than Fergie's pockets. For the highs I use an active crossover at 800Hz into an 8" midrange.

so... the kappalite 3015 Is Actually A Better Speaker than the kappa pro 15, irrespective of the fact that its also lighter?
Im sorry but i thought they were essentially the same but the neo thingy bit just made it lighter not actually er.."better" if you get my drift... (sorry i just fly the bloody thing...)