Why become a member? ×

I Love Squier! IDST

AnalogBomb

I'm not gonna beat around the bush here and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking Squier basses are great!

I'm not a guy who earns a massive salary ( I do ok, thankfully), I'm lucky enough to work in a job I enjoy (sort of)! But I really think that the range of bass g's available by Squier is astounding! For people on a somewhat limited budget (like me) they provide a range of quality choices.

Now given you can pick up a Vintage Mod Squier for £280 max and the next stage would be the £400 Fender modern player, I can't see why you would pay the extra? I understand the high end USA models, for quality, but i have a vintage mod Squier bass (jazz) and I've been thinking recently that id like a fender. But then a part of me thinks llook, you're not a pro, you like your Squier, nobody in the audience gives a you know what, so stick with Squier.

To this end, I am going to spend £280 cash in Leeds on a fretless Squier jazz ( jaco style body!)

What say you?

I like my squire P bass and use it most often but when I get my USA P out of its case , you can tell that it's much much better.....It is far heavier, I can play a lower action on it without clanking frets, when you tune it it keeps the notes after you've put it away and use it again, easier to play but it takes no prisoners... Make a mistake and you can hear it plainly, it's so deep I have to turn the practice amp up, easier to adjust the intonation and rod...... Expect it'll sound much better on a decent amp too..... Buy the best bass you can and pay for it when you can :-)

[quote name='AnalogBomb' timestamp='1347671871' post='1803971']

To this end, I am going to spend £280 cash in Leeds on a fretless Squier jazz ( jaco style body!)

What say you?
[/quote]
if it's the one in PMT Leeds you're going to buy - it's a nice one. Given the string marking on the fretboard it's been there long enough to get some money off!

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1347734776' post='1804506']
What does IDST mean?

I've got a Squier Classic Vibe '50's Precision and it's a really nice bass.I've gigged it a few times.(I've also got
an '83 Japanese Squier P-bass,but they are a bit different)
[/quote]

I've also got an '83 JV Squier P- had it since new - reading this thread an others about the newer Squiers I think a purchase of the new Squier Telecaster Bass is inevitable. I'm sure The Boss doesn't really mean it when she says " You said the last one was the last one - you'll just need to sell one before you get another" :rolleyes:

Edited by Donnyboy

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1347734776' post='1804506']
What does IDST mean?
[/quote]

Think it's 'if destroyed, still true'.

I've had a Squier VM P for a while and find it completely adequate for the purpose intended; I gig it and it performs just fine. I'm really not sure about people saying there's no difference between them and MIM/MIA Fenders, but all the same, totally agree that those on tighter budgets or just starting out have it really good with instruments like the VMs and CVs out there. My gf tagged along with me to the music shop yesterday when I was picking up my latest acquisition, and she ended up getting herself a Squier VM '77 Jazz and a Rumble 15 as after a previous false-start, she wants to give bass a proper go. Having checked it over and demoed it for her, the VM J is a very nice bass... actually marginally better than my VM P because the Duncan Designed J pickups sound like they should, whereas I had to swap the P pickup for something better.

I got a Squier CV60s Precision last year and loved it, then having fallen for P basses big time I saw a sunburst highway one p in a shop window whilst out in Cardiff with our drummer and keyboardist, and fickle sod that I am I fell in love with that one too, so our drummer said he'd give me £200 for the Squier cos he liked it and was dabbling in bass. A year later and he's not been playing it so he sold it back to me for the same price! :)

Honestly, I think the cv60 was better out of the box than the US assembled Highway 1, but adding a black s/plate, a Kent Armstrong alnico pup and a bit of fettling and the Highway edges ahead in the 'which one would you rescue from a burning building' scenario. It's got some magic in it somehow, and I love the matt finish and gorgeous rich three tone burst.

They're both light though (compared with my Ray 5 most things are!) and there's nothing in it in fit and finish. In terms of bang for buck the Squier's a no brainer.

Edited by sime17

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1347830320' post='1805634']
Ok...
As in "I Love Squire! Even if it was broken,I still would?"

Wow...I really don't get some of these internet acronyms :huh:
[/quote]

As in "I love squire! Even if this post gets removed, its still true".

Used to see it alongside the "Sharon loves Billy" grafitti on school desks...

I see no need to ever get another P bass, expect for looks (still fancy another Duck Dunn). My CVP is a P bass, sounds and plays like a P bass and cost less than any other bass ive owned in recent times.

Sometimes i feel people get too wrapped up in all this vintage/boutique lark and spend £1000's to get a tone that can be achieved at a fraction of the cost.