Why become a member? ×

bass snobbery

ashgeezer

[quote name='OldGit' post='193015' date='May 6 2008, 03:58 PM']Be careful what you wish for:

Warwick: Sales Assistant - UK

---------------------------

Sales Assistant needed for the Warwick UK Branch. If selected, you would be responsible for selling musical products such as, RockBass by Warwick, Hipshot Products, Floyd Rose, Kahler, MEC Electronics, Warwick Strings, RockBag, RockStand, RockCase and RockCable.

We are looking for an ambitious salesperson with experience within the MI Industry. The position is office-based and located in Manchester. Working hours are 8.30am - 7pm

You will be expected to be determined, highly motivated and employ a disciplined and strong work ethic.

The right candidate will receive a competitive salary and commission structure.

Please email your cv to:
[email protected]

-----------------------------------------

"Working hours are 8.30am - 7pm"

Let us know how you get on :)[/quote]

Thanks but no!
I think i would want to work with the guys trying to work out how to sell and market the stuff rather than the actually bods ringing around music shops trying to get them to carry rockbags.
With the right ideas and 'image' constructed a warwick bass should sell itself. As it is have adverts exclusively full of metal players and they dont work at selling their main product. (IMO obviously i dont know their accounts, it just seems slightly strange to push such expensive instruments at such a small market which has no real focus on expensive kit!)
Fender however have it quite right. A core product which they know and understand how to sell. Thy sell P and J between the high end stuff of the greats and the bread and butter minimum you need for a rock tone. The p shape means a certain tone. The bread and butter of music. ANd everyone needs bread. and then if you get folk paying more for more fancy butter.....

I"m a sucker for second hand basses and i also love peavey basses, my first bass was a peavey milestone 1 which i wish i would have kept but sold it as it never got used, not because i didn"t like it because i was working every hour god sends at the time.
If a bass feels right for you,regardless of cost and it makes the sound you want then go for it, i own a crappy precision copy which i love and it sounds brilliant, i can get sounds from it i cant get from my fender precision so i wont be getting rid of it in a hurry ( i would be lucky to get 20 quid for it on ebay) plus i dont mind if it gets knocked about.
Of course we all would love to be able to afford at least one decent bass and i suspect all of us will own that one bass at some point in our bass playing lives but until then just play with what you have got and what you can afford.
ANY BASS IS BETTER THAN NO BASS AT ALL. :)

[quote name='Leowasright' post='193211' date='May 6 2008, 07:20 PM']I have to say that everytime I see another band, I look at the bass player, and if he has one of those "modern" things (Wal/Warwick/pointy thing or other non-Fender like object), I wonder why he can't just use a Jazz or a Precision![/quote]
Because they're sh*t [1] compared to my Thumbs. It really is as simple as that.

Come to that, my Tsais also walk all over Fenders. So it's really no contest.

[1] In my opinion, of course, which, when I'm buying the basses and playing the basses, is, after all, the only opinion that counts

[quote name='Leowasright' post='193284' date='May 6 2008, 08:35 PM']Automotive paralells miss the point. ;) So much was right by 1960 (to quote me later on), why mess with it?[/quote]
There is an automotive parallel that works pretty well, actually - Fender and Harley-Davidson. You get to pay lots of money for the badge, it's mainly made outside the US, you have to stick aftermarket stuff on it to make it perform somewhere round a tenth as well as other manufacturers' stuff, on the rare occasion when they bring out a radical departure from the original, all the current owners hate it, and the noise from them is really irritating. Oh, and the owners dress funny too.

:) :huh: ;) ;) :huh: ;) :D ;)

[quote name='tauzero' post='194012' date='May 7 2008, 04:46 PM']There is an automotive parallel that works pretty well, actually - Fender and Harley-Davidson. You get to pay lots of money for the badge, it's mainly made outside the US, you have to stick aftermarket stuff on it to make it perform somewhere round a tenth as well as other manufacturers' stuff, on the rare occasion when they bring out a radical departure from the original, all the current owners hate it, and the noise from them is really irritating. Oh, and the owners dress funny too.

:) :huh: ;) ;) :huh: ;) :D ;)[/quote]

;) I got no aftermarket stuff on my Harley but I dress funny and hate new stuff!

[quote name='tauzero' post='194012' date='May 7 2008, 04:46 PM']There is an automotive parallel that works pretty well, actually - Fender and Harley-Davidson. You get to pay lots of money for the badge, it's mainly made outside the US, you have to stick aftermarket stuff on it to make it perform somewhere round a tenth as well as other manufacturers' stuff, on the rare occasion when they bring out a radical departure from the original, all the current owners hate it, and the noise from them is really irritating. Oh, and the owners dress funny too.[/quote]

And of course Triumph owners dont have a stereotype do they......?

:)

:huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='193243' date='May 6 2008, 07:52 PM']I don't expect anyone to be impressed....[/quote]

+1 I don't think anyone has a list of gear in their sig to impress anyone (although that might be the case for some people), but mainly because others find it interesting. I know I do, and I have a list of gear in my sig on the off chance that other people are interested, and if you take a look at it, it's not very impressive at all.

[quote name='jono b' post='194117' date='May 7 2008, 06:49 PM']+1 I don't think anyone has a list of gear in their sig to impress anyone (although that might be the case for some people), but mainly because others find it interesting. I know I do, and I have a list of gear in my sig on the off chance that other people are interested, and if you take a look at it, it's not very impressive at all.[/quote]

Zactly
I couln't quite see why having a gear list should be a bad thing ...

I think so too (although I don't have a signature yet - [edit] do now!) It would nice to bump into fellow Ken Smith owners, and unless it comes up in a thread I probably wouldn't know if someone owned one if it weren't for the signature. I don't think people are trying to show off, they're just proud of the gear they have :)

Edited by XB26354

Well I am certainly not going to impress owners of modern/pointy etc basses with my gear list!

I don't read the gear lists in other's signatures to be impressed or jealous, I think we all like to know what others use.

Must get round to that valve amp for complete luddite regression.

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='193145' date='May 6 2008, 06:06 PM']What gets me is the unnecessary name dropping that goes on. For (hypothetical) example we don't get 'I carry my lead and strings in my gig bag', instead we get 'I carry my lead and strings in my Shuker/Alembic/Wal (delete/add as appropriate) gig bag'. Sure there are discussions where the details of the kit are required, but so often it's not yet we are given it anyway.

Similarly great lists of the basses and kit you have attached to your posts is surely not required. We only need to know that your a bass player, and everything else can be revealed as and when appropriate?

OK, Rant over. I'm ducking already.[/quote]

my list shows that I'm not afraid of owning up to owning a Squier... and followers of my "list" may have noted the slow increase in quality basses... I tend to snap up bargains when I see them... however, I will not be getting rid of my Squier VMJ... it's just so nice to play and sounds great...

and as for carrying leads and strings... I carry mine in a Tesco bag-for-life...

my definition of a Bass Snob would be someone who when the chips are down and he's broken his bass and hasn't got a spare would refuse my offer of a Squier VMJ... or would insist on putting masking tape over the logo...

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='194164' date='May 7 2008, 08:07 PM']my definition of a Bass Snob would be someone who when the chips are down and he's broken his bass and hasn't got a spare would refuse my offer of a Squier VMJ... or would insist on putting masking tape over the logo...[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='194164' date='May 7 2008, 08:07 PM']my definition of a Bass Snob would be someone who when the chips are down and he's broken his bass and hasn't got a spare would refuse my offer of a Squier VMJ... or would insist on putting masking tape over the logo...[/quote]

I'd be ok with a squier, I'd be very grateful too but that's ok because Fender and Squier are related, they're like butties :) any other bass and I'd say no thank you, I also couldn't use leads from a Tesco bag....it would effect my tone :huh:

Good evening everyone.

My name is Mart and I'm a Bass Snob.

It's been 6 days since I bought a bass and I don't know how much longer I can hold out.....

In all seriousness tho, I tend to covert MIA Fenders instead of MIM, why? Does my playing justify it, well probably not. Do I lose less money when I sell trade one, well probably not. Does the audience notice, well probably not. Do I notice, well yes and in my book that's all that matters. Generally tho if a bass feels nice and plays well I'm happy and the only real reason I would go for MIA over MIM is consistency and (of late) the former are a bit lighter.

Regarding comments made above on the Thumb. Owned one, loved the tone (kills most Fenders and a lot of MM's) but I know which one I prefer to do a 2.5hr gig with :)

Been a good thread this, I've had some very exotic basses over the years, am I a snob ? probably ! There some basses I look at that just look bl**dy awful and sound even worse. I've never liked Precisions, always thought the Jazz was the better bass, I love the shape of the Status S2 Classic, and after I saw Doods Shuker I decided to get one myself. I also like to look at peoples gear lists in their signature, I never feel any envy about what gear they have, I just think every man to himself.

All the basses I own are a pleasure to play and sound and look great, which at the end of the day is what its all about !

[quote name='XB26354' post='194146' date='May 7 2008, 07:34 PM']I think so too (although I don't have a signature yet - [edit] do now!) It would nice to bump into fellow Ken Smith owners, and unless it comes up in a thread I probably wouldn't know if someone owned one if it weren't for the signature. I don't think people are trying to show off, they're just proud of the gear they have :)[/quote]

CrazyKiwi has a smiffy :huh:

[quote name='Leowasright' post='194155' date='May 7 2008, 07:50 PM']Well I am certainly not going to impress owners of modern/pointy etc basses with my gear list!

I don't read the gear lists in other's signatures to be impressed or jealous, I think we all like to know what others use.

Must get round to that valve amp for complete luddite regression.[/quote]

"Leo Fender got it right 1st time....or at least by the second time with the Jazz."

Third time :)

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='192721' date='May 6 2008, 10:06 AM']in a slightly clearer state of mind i should reply

i took 'Jem' to be misspelling of 'THEM', hence the frazzeled delusional thingy assuming ibanez are crap.
and the :) was poor choice of smilie
the bass snobbery was actually sarcasm which i find is bloody hard to get across in a forum based situation.

[b]my appologies for being a twat [/b]:huh:[/quote]

Accepted without reservation and thank you for taking the time to do so. It elevates you to scholar and gentleman level. And you weren't that much of a twat anyway - I actually like Ibanez basses, btw, but I have played with Ibanez Jem-toting widdle-merchants for so long that the very mention of the name brings me out in hives. Actually, while I think about it, four of the five Ibenezista that I've played with over the last decade were really good musicians and lovely guys. One was a good musician but was a pain in the arse. Big time. Blame him.

;)

I've been giving this a bit more thought, this whole bass snobbery business. I'm getting on in years now, comparative to many of you here (I'm 48). I have a bigger house than I did when I was in my twenties. I have a much nicer car than I did when I was younger too. I go on more expensive holidays.

And I love basses.

It's kind of natural; sociologists refer to embourgoisement, but the older you are and the more affluent you are the more likely you are to indulge yourself in life's luxuries. Does that make me a snob? No, I don't think so. It makes me an enthusiast who can actually afford his hobby. That's all.

Oh and if anyone would like to see it, I can upload a pic of me doing a stand in gig with someone else's Shine 8 string. I didn't tape over the logo. :)

[quote name='gilmour' post='190295' date='May 2 2008, 09:26 AM']I'm not a bass snob - but I am definately an Amp snob I'm afraid. My tech Spec specifies that I won't use an Asdown as supplied backline :)[/quote]
I think thats definate snobbery as i think people follow trends and things that are in vogue. My ashdown sounds great and once again i think driver error is the case as i can make a cheap bass sound great

[quote name='The Burpster' post='194104' date='May 7 2008, 06:30 PM']And of course Triumph owners dont have a stereotype do they......?[/quote]
They haven't leaked oil since 1991, and neither has my Warwick.

:)

I use a bass that suits my talent, so I could never ever justify paying a four figure sum for a bass - I ain't that good, so I have my Jazz, which is still better than I can justify but helps me strive to be better, and my cheapie fretless which actually sounds great for something that cost virtually nothing.

I guess the next purchase would be a "proper" fretless jazz, but that can wait a while.

Edited by skywalker