Why become a member? ×

Flatwounds

bubinga5

Hey people. I need a little advice on the world of flat wound strings. Also string lengths? Can anyone recommend some makes that do Flatwounds, Ive been trying to find some Labella flats, but with no success!! Also are flats more exspensive than normal rounds??

Also what length of string fit a Jazz bass...(medium)??
Ive never played Flat wound strings. Is it impossible to slap with them??

Cheers!!

I've just put a 5 string set of Labellas on my Cort - first time with flats on a guitar. Still getting used to them.

Nice and slippery as Bilbo says! I like it. Reminds me of my upright which also has flats.

I had similar gauge roundwounds on before, and I'm not noticing a great deal of difference in tone on my small practice amp, but I get to blast them next week at rehearsal so I'll know better.

Sorry, can't help with the slapping thing, not much of a slapper myself.

D'addario- [url="http://www.daddario.com/DADFBass.aspx?ID=3"]http://www.daddario.com/DADFBass.aspx?ID=3[/url]

(who have a very handy string length calculator....!)

GHS- [url="http://www.ghsstrings.com/products.php"]http://www.ghsstrings.com/products.php[/url]

Tomastik - [url="http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?MAIN=http://www.stringbusters.com/ko-kat/BASS%20STRINGS/THOMASTIK/"]http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?...INGS/THOMASTIK/[/url]

Rotosound- [url="http://www.rotosound.com/bass.html"]http://www.rotosound.com/bass.html[/url]

enjoy trawling, I use D'adds and GHS- Love 'em.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got Tomastik TI Jazz Flats on my 5 string G&L ( L-2500 ) and I think they are the most comfortable string I have used in 30 years of playing. I don't slap much, but I don't think they'd be too clever, it's just a much more mellow sound and feel, you just want to groove on them, nice and slow, make the notes count. Well I do anyway !!

Have also tried Overwater's own flats and didn't get on with them at all, I found them to be imbalanced acroos the string range, and one of the strings ( D string ) just seems really dead in comparison to the others. At £25 a set they're not budget strings either. In fact I have a spare unused set I might want to swap for a good set opf flats........mmmmmmm

Haven't tried the LaBellas yet, but will do sometime, after all, if Igor used them, well...........................

S

Labella's are great, and I've heard great things about Thomastik (which are more expensive). I also like Rotosound Jazz strings, too. You can hear the Labella's on all my P-Bass stuff on youtube. For a given string thickness, I believe the Rotosound have the highest tension, followed by Labellas and then Thomastik. For a Jazz bass you need long scale length.

As for slapping 'em, well plenty have done, but they sound nothing like the slap you generally hear on most tracks - so most people don't slap flats.

To confuse it further, SIT do strings called "Silencers" which are compression wound semiflats - they feel similar to a flat but sound like a round (so you can slap 'em) - they're OK, too.

No-ones mentioned them yet, but Status Hotwires!

Wooo!

They come in round (hex core - standard for most strings), round (round core), half wound (which are rounds with hex cores, but shaved off, they feel like flats, sound and play like rounds, sodding excellent), and their flatwounds.

I've got a set of half wound 45-105 on my VMJ, me likey.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='197911' date='May 13 2008, 12:58 PM']this is all the the basschat wiki[/quote]

I know, but it's nice to be able to post occasionally.

Thanks by the way ferret, I know you've been working on the wiki, and hopefully I speak for a few members when I say it's appreciated.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='Buzz' post='197643' date='May 13 2008, 01:30 AM']No-ones mentioned them yet, but Status Hotwires!

Wooo!

They come in round (hex core - standard for most strings), round (round core), half wound (which are rounds with hex cores, but shaved off, they feel like flats, sound and play like rounds, sodding excellent), and their flatwounds.

I've got a set of half wound 45-105 on my VMJ, me likey.[/quote]

I'm thinking of trying the half wound strings on my fretless. How smooth are they, will they mark my rosewood fretless board? What's the tension like?

I read that Guy Pratt uses them too on his fretless.

[quote name='CliveT' post='354797' date='Dec 15 2008, 09:21 AM']I'm thinking of trying the half wound strings on my fretless. How smooth are they, will they mark my rosewood fretless board? What's the tension like?

I read that Guy Pratt uses them too on his fretless.[/quote]

[quote name='Adrenochrome']I'd be interested to know the same, as the flats on my fretless just don't quite have enough top end for me.[/quote]

As it happens, I stuck a clip on YouTube last night of me mucking about on my fretless with D'Addario half-rounds on. The playing is shoddy, but it was posted specifically to give someone an idea of how a line went, rather than to say 'Hey! L00k at my l33t fretliss SK1LLZ!'.. :)

Bear in mind when listening out for treble:

1) I'm playing a P, so it's not going to have the bark or honk of a J pup. YMMV. It's a sound I love, though.
2) I have the tweeter on my Mesa Scout rolled right off.. all the way.

The tension is fine for me... about average. Not a million miles from my La Bella FLs. There's certainly more tension than TIs.

They do mark the board a little, but it's superficial scuffing rather than viscious grinding.

Half rounds vary. Some are as dull as flats (Elites) and some are as bright as nickels (Galli - but cant get them any more). The Status are at the brighter end but its been so long since I dried D'addario I cant remember, but I did not stick with them.

Used Dean Markley for a long long time but just could not get them and I think they dont make them now.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='354845' date='Dec 15 2008, 10:34 AM']As it happens, I stuck a clip on YouTube last night of me mucking about on my fretless with D'Addario half-rounds on. The playing is shoddy, but it was posted specifically to give someone an idea of how a line went, rather than to say 'Hey! L00k at my l33t fretliss SK1LLZ!'.. :)

Bear in mind when listening out for treble:

1) I'm playing a P, so it's not going to have the bark or honk of a J pup. YMMV. It's a sound I love, though.
2) I have the tweeter on my Mesa Scout rolled right off.. all the way.

The tension is fine for me... about average. Not a million miles from my La Bella FLs. There's certainly more tension than TIs.

They do mark the board a little, but it's superficial scuffing rather than viscious grinding.

[/quote]

Hi wateroftyne. Following the link to Youtube it asys there you are using La Bella FL flats.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1057540' date='Dec 13 2010, 05:26 PM']Hi Clive

Wow... this is going back a bit!

My mistake - definitely the D'Addarios halfs. You can hear acoustically when I slide up the muted strings - the La Bellas are smooth and you wouldn't hear anything.

In the end, I didn't care for 'em - I went back to the La Bellas.[/quote]

Hi Wateroftyne

Interesting to hear your thoughts on halfs. Was it just the noise of sliding up the strings you didn't like or the tone itself ?

For me the jury is still out on the halfs. I tried them as I wanted the make things a bit brighter on the fretless, and they are, but in doing so they just seem to lack mids and punch that the flats give. I have to admit I've only practised with them so need to gig them before making a final decision but the flats I took off are ready for a recall if needed.

Edited by CliveT

[quote name='CliveT' post='1058267' date='Dec 14 2010, 10:16 AM']Hi Wateroftyne

Interesting to hear your thoughts on halfs. Was it just the noise of sliding up the strings you didn't like or the tone itself ?

For me the jury is still out on the halfs. I tried them as I wanted the make things a bit brighter on the fretless, and they are, but in doing so they just seem to lack mids and punch that the flats give. I have to admit I've only practised with them so need to gig them before making a final decision but the flats I took off are ready for a recall if needed.[/quote]
Hi Clive

No.. it wasn't the string noise that was the problem... I'm generally immune to string squeaks and clanks.

It was for similar reasons to yourself.. they didn't sing like rounds, or thump and punch like flats. They were a combination of the worst of each. And they felt sticky...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='354845' date='Dec 15 2008, 10:34 AM'] [/quote]

I gigged Winter Song on my BSX upright at the weekend. What a great tune, and bassline!

For years I used nickel rounds playing fretless, but my Veillette Archtop fretless came wearing LaBella black tapewound flats and they sound amazing; plenty of "mwah", easy on the fingers and the board. Well worth trying.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

Figure I may as well post in here! I'm considering flats for my Stingray. I have an Ibanez BTB406 that I can get some really nice modern tones out of, so I'm wanting a mellower sound for jazz, R&B, soul, Motown etc.

I use Overwater nickels on my Stingray at the moment, and I love them, best strings I've played. Does anyone have experience of Overwater's flats? At the moment it's between those and some D'Addario Chromes.