Why become a member? ×

Tribute acts degrading?

mcgraham

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1346781676' post='1793185']
So if you want to see/hear thin lizzy - how you gonna do it bearing in mind that phil is no longer with us???

You go and see limehouse lizzy - so good that they are endorsed by phil's mum
[/quote]

I have no problem with that but I still dont want to see a tribute for an act still touring really.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346781831' post='1793192']
I have no problem with that but I still dont want to see a tribute for an act still touring really.
[/quote]

depends which act

i used to go and see the Illegal Eagles cos the real thing were only touring in the USA

Edited by gareth

So if you want to see/hear thin lizzy - how you gonna do it bearing in mind that phil is no longer with us???

[/quote]

You accept the fact that Thin Lizzy are over and gone and you can't see them.

[/quote]
You can go & see the lineup of Thin Lizzy that tours that actually has SOME original members of the band - OK, no Phil but still better than a tribute band with NO original members.

[/quote]

Or Dizzy Lizzy. Endorsed by Phils mum [i]and[/i] Eric Bell apparently.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346776193' post='1793083']
I went to see one of our own BC members play in an Elvis tribute, I dont like Elvis but it was awesome and the crowd was bigger than most that a lot of us here play to and man were they loving it! If you think Elvis fans wont like an Elvis tribute you have some waking up to do :)
[/quote]

I played 2 nights for a Las Vegas Elvis tribute in Birmingham a couple of years ago and it was mad.Sold out for both nights,
and everyone was really into it.It was great...we had a really good band too.

Seen Abba Tribute act Bjorn Again twice, one of them last year at an amazing outdoor concert at Chatsworth House, I've been gigging for 50 years so I'm not very easily impressed but with these guys you had Abba on stage even down to Swedish accents.

Edited by Bassman62

[quote name='derrenleepoole' timestamp='1346783985' post='1793237']
For example, a jazz tribute to say Miles Davis' classic quartet that recorded Kind Of Blue? Or something equally obscure?
[/quote]
Jimmy Cobb,the Drummer on Kind of Blue,does this with his 'So What' Band

(Oh,and it was a sextet on that album)

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1346785093' post='1793266']
We are endorsed by Donald Fagen's nan.
[/quote]

Keema or Peshwari ?

We did our ZZ Top thing with Abbatoir - sort of heavy metal abba trib. They headlined. Most of their set folk were chanting 'Zee Zee - Zee Zee' etc. Bit embarrassing. I quite liked them - so much so I nicked the idea and do a heavy metal version of Winner Takes It All in the Doc B set.

I can top the 'silly accents' thing. Mate of mine was playing a double bill and walked into the other bands dressing room - they were a Queen trib. On the floor - kneeling in front of a hastily put up pic of Freddie - was the singer. The drummer asked my mate to keep quiet cos the singer was 'conjouring up Freddie's spirit'.

The phrase 'merchant banker' just doesn't seem sufficient , does it.

Edited by Dr.Dave