Why become a member? ×

Roberts Flatwounds

has anybody tried Roberts strings?
Their Flatwounds seem quite cheap and might be worth a bash to try the flatwound experience

Currently got a set of halfrounds on my precision - take a listen to barbara ann on our myspace ([url="http://www.myspace.com/27brigade"]www.myspace.com/27brigade[/url], although it's had the protools treatment. the precision might sound great with a set of flats on this song - particularly in the quite bit with the country style slide on

[quote name='Freddie Fumble' post='20574' date='Jun 20 2007, 08:25 AM']The ones I’ve tried with the yellow strips on the packets have been awful and just sounded dead, both flat and round wound… It’s all down to personal preference.[/quote]

I had the same problem with their flatwounds, The A-D-G were not too bad but the E was awful like playin a piece of wool. I complained and a few e-mails later they agreed to send me some new sets if I sent the E strings back (after all these were what I was complaining about). They sent me some new ones but these were just as bad. They also told me that no one else had had a problem with their flatwounds, seems like they were wrong. I won't be wasting my money on them again I have gone back to Rotosound flats on my Yamaha and am getting some Rotosound Tru Bass for my cort.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='markytbass' post='20855' date='Jun 20 2007, 04:50 PM']The A-D-G were not too bad but the E was awful like playin a piece of wool.[/quote]

+1 What the hell is going on with these E strings? Absolute rubbish!

Did you get a refund in the end?

I've had 2 sets of the roundwounds and they've both been great considering they're under half the price of reputable branded strings, and they're more than good enough to carry as an emergency set. Interestingly I needed some nickle roundwounds in a hurry last week so I popped into my local Sound Control and the only nickle set they had were their own brand "Control" strings. Opening the box revealed the same clear with yellow stripes string envelopes as the Roberts ones... Unfortunately not quite as cheap though.

[quote name='Sean' post='24578' date='Jun 28 2007, 06:30 PM']+1 What the hell is going on with these E strings? Absolute rubbish!

Did you get a refund in the end?[/quote]

No refund just 2 new sets but they were just as bad. I found the seller rather dismissive when I complained and not really wanting to help. I havn't left feedback yet though.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='markytbass' post='25002' date='Jun 29 2007, 03:55 PM']No refund just 2 new sets but they were just as bad. I found the seller rather dismissive when I complained and not really wanting to help. I havn't left feedback yet though.[/quote]

Uhmmm...for me, jury's out at the moment.

I received set of flats within two days of payment, very fast delivery - no criticism.

However, as per other comments; E-string as dead as a dodo.

Fortunately, the seller is [i]very[/i] local :)

Guess I'll see how it pans out...

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='nick' post='109602' date='Dec 26 2007, 07:09 PM']Uhmmm...for me, jury's out at the moment.

I received set of flats within two days of payment, very fast delivery - no criticism.

However, as per other comments; E-string as dead as a dodo.

Fortunately, the seller is [i]very[/i] local :)

Guess I'll see how it pans out...[/quote]

Received a replacement set, of which E string was OK.
For me, these are exceptional value, with a good feel & sound better than some other more expensive brands.

I think they're worth buying, but maybe watch out for the E string. Having said that I found seller very helpful, & replacement was received very quickly.
However, any set of strings (whatever brand) can sometimes have a dud.
Recommended. :huh:

I have used many different brands of string over the years (Fender, Elite, Trace Elliott, Rotosound, Picato, Dadi, Ernie Ball, Roberts). Until the Roberts I had never had a problem with strings, having 4 duff E strings in 4 sets is unacceptable. I havn't the time to keep sending strings back until I get a good set. It also costs money, money that could be spent on a deicent set.

[quote name='markytbass' post='20855' date='Jun 20 2007, 03:50 PM']I had the same problem with their flatwounds, The A-D-G were not too bad but the E was awful like playin a piece of wool. I complained and a few e-mails later they agreed to send me some new sets if I sent the E strings back (after all these were what I was complaining about). They sent me some new ones but these were just as bad. They also told me that no one else had had a problem with their flatwounds, seems like they were wrong. I won't be wasting my money on them again I have gone back to Rotosound flats on my Yamaha and am getting some Rotosound Tru Bass for my cort.[/quote]
+1 for the deadness. The E string is awful. Gave them a call and they sent a new E String + a complete new set. Both of those E's were crap as well. Chucked them away and put it down to experience.
Will stick with TI's, La Bella or Rotosound flats in the future.

I find it surprising that someone will pay hundreds of pounds for a bass (thousands sometimes), and hundreds for an amp etc, then stick some cheap strings on it, you can get Elites or D'adario for about £13, and Rotosounds are only £10 from Stringbusters.

At least by buying from a 'known' manufacturer you stand a chance of not having to send them back.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='120087' date='Jan 14 2008, 01:50 PM']I find it surprising that someone will pay hundreds of pounds for a bass (thousands sometimes), and hundreds for an amp etc, then stick some cheap strings on it, you can get Elites or D'adario for about £13, and Rotosounds are only £10 from Stringbusters.

At least by buying from a 'known' manufacturer you stand a chance of not having to send them back.[/quote]

Well said....... some players do the same with Cables...... £1000+ on an instrument and £5 on a cable...... go figure?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='120087' date='Jan 14 2008, 01:50 PM']I find it surprising that someone will pay hundreds of pounds for a bass (thousands sometimes), and hundreds for an amp etc, then stick some cheap strings on it, you can get Elites or D'adario for about £13, and Rotosounds are only £10 from Stringbusters.[/quote]
Please tell me where I can get a set of 'named' flatwounds for that price!

The best price I can find is £20 for a set for Elites, Rotosound and Thomastik mid-high 20s. I don't much like Elites, having had a couple of sets which both went dead in a couple of days (and I don't have sweaty hands). It makes it expensive to try things out.

Has anyone tried the Webstrings flats from www.webstrings.com ?

I've got some roundwounds on a couple of my basses and they seem very good. The only thing that bothers me slightly is that a 45 roundwound seems like a pretty heavy gauge set - am I right in thinking that you need a slightly thinner gauge roundwound string to get the same tension, or doesn't it make much difference?

Flats last longer than rounds - there is some good stuff in the wiki about flats. Cheapest I have seen are Status from their website.

Strings are the same price now as they were 20 years ago. I can remember when Fender bought out a budget range of strings for £10 a set and everyone thought that was cheap then, and fags were £1 a packet - and here we are 20 years later wanting to buy strings for the price of 2 packets of fags.

[quote name='pete.young' post='147093' date='Feb 26 2008, 09:04 AM']Please tell me where I can get a set of 'named' flatwounds for that price![/quote]

I got a set of EB flats for about £10 shipped to my door. Ebay shops based in the USA are the way to go for cheap strings, check out the links in [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=13323&view=findpost&p=147713"]this post[/url] for a couple of suggestions.

Browse the Talkbass classifieds too, I just picked up a set of Fender flats for £7 shipped!

[quote name='pete.young' post='147093' date='Feb 26 2008, 09:04 AM']Please tell me where I can get a set of 'named' flatwounds for that price!

The best price I can find is £20 for a set for Elites, Rotosound and Thomastik mid-high 20s. I don't much like Elites, having had a couple of sets which both went dead in a couple of days (and I don't have sweaty hands). It makes it expensive to try things out.

Has anyone tried the Webstrings flats from www.webstrings.com ?

I've got some roundwounds on a couple of my basses and they seem very good. The only thing that bothers me slightly is that a 45 roundwound seems like a pretty heavy gauge set - am I right in thinking that you need a slightly thinner gauge roundwound string to get the same tension, or doesn't it make much difference?[/quote]

Status flatwound strings are £15 a set, they're excellent strings.

Fender flats from Stringbusters are also £15 a set.

Don't forget that flats last longer.

I'd rather buy a set for a bit more money (£5), and be happy with them, than buy a cheap set that sound bad, and probably won't last anywhere near as long, it's a false economy, just my opinion.