Why become a member? ×

Slow?

geoffbyrne

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1348415590' post='1813338']
Unbelievable slow today. Pretty much unusable for me.
[/quote]

I've been off & on since 5.30pm and it performs fine for me. I get quite frustrated trying to troubleshoot this sort of thing as I can't replicate the problem myself and all the board settings seem fine :(

I might have a handle on this.

If you use Chrome or Firefox, try opening up the forum when "private browsing" or "incognito" and hop around topics and posts to see how quick they load.

(If you use IE - then download Chrome or Firefox!!)

If you get normal speeds, then that will help me in the next step of solving it.

Post your experiences on here please.

Yeah, it's ok for me, but definitely alot slower than any other site I use. I feel for the guys behind the site, as it seems to be a bit of a head scratcher.

So, pages do take longer to load than any other site, but for me at least it is useable.

Macbook Pro, Safari, Virgin Media Cable. In case that helps.

Maybe everyone with problems could post up exactly what hardware and software and ISP etc they are using - might narrow it down??

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1348899418' post='1819542']
Ped you've got a very nice forum, I give you that. However it's so slow to run from whatever platform / device / ip that it's becoming painfull to partecipate. Can anything be done to speed it up??
[/quote]

We're trying the best we can, but truth be told, we're crippled at the moment from lack of technical support because we can't afford any. I've asked our current guy to look into it but he's doing it as a favour rather than as a paid job and it's difficult to rely on him as good as he is, because I feel bad for nagging him when he's doing it in his free time which he has very little of.

We've just been let down by a developer after 10 months and have just started the search for another. Steve is in charge this time because I was getting extremely frustrated; I'm not knowledgeable in the slightest about what we need, what skills they need, how they access the server or ANY of that, so I feel at times like the captain of a ship with no engine room. Steve knows a lot more than me and we have found two people willing to take this on as a fully paid job but now it's the lack of funds holding us back.

Cheers

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1348914788' post='1819703']
We're trying the best we can, but truth be told, we're crippled at the moment from lack of technical support because we can't afford any.
[/quote]

I think instead of just asking for a very small donation from members selling in the marketplace (which a loyal minority give but the majority don't,) perhaps we could think about having a two-tier system of adverts where you can have a 'paid-for' for sale thread/advert with pictures, or members could choose a free 'non-bumpable' text only once-off single entry with no pictures.

There are several forum add-ons that can give us this facility for the marketplace. I'm not talking about charging a lot of money - perhaps around the same money as a fee for a decent listing on eBay?

Maybe we could do the same thing as a well-known 'across-the-pond' bass site and make posting a 'for sale' thread in the marketplace only possible for contributing members? I can turn that facility on now by fiddling with forum settings? However it might be fairer to start that on a future date (1st Nov?) so members can decide to go to either gumtree, ebay, cash converters or stick with Basschat for an under-cutting small donation? I know you've thought about (but decided not to) charging a small amount in the past, but it might be time to ignore the internet warriors who demand that 'free advertising' means free advertising forever and start making a small but seemingly essential charge?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want to see the forum struggle with the load an increasing membership (350 new members a week average) make on the current server load/speed balance because some members (and businesses) who sell quite a lot of gear on here have short arms and long pockets?

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1348914788' post='1819703'] we're crippled at the moment from lack of technical support because we can't afford any.

We've just been let down by a developer after 10 months and Steve knows a lot more than me and we have found two people willing to take this on as a fully paid job but now it's the lack of funds holding us back.[/quote]

There appear to be a number of people who are members of this forum who have the technical skills to help, maybe as a short term solution a few favours could be called in? If I had those skills I would certainly volunteer them to a forum that has given me such pleasure.

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1348948720' post='1820117']I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want to see the forum struggle because some members (and businesses) who sell quite a lot of gear on here have short arms and long pockets?
[/quote]

Good point. But at the same time, do we want to discourage genuine contributing members from selling the odd item? As you say,some people only appear to join this site to sell stuff, and I think they should definitely have to pay for the privilege.Charging everyone may be counter-productive I feel...

When you experience the site being slow would it be possible that people log it here.

The time when you noticed it being slow would be great (obviously lets try not to double up on this).

If we all work together we might spot a pattern!!

I'll put this thread on my "follow" list and when I get new entries I'll update a spreadsheet for a while and see what I can come up with.

Something, somewhere will be causing this...