Why become a member? ×

New songs for the set list - covers band

citymariner

Hey all,

As a band we are in the summer blues!

People away at all different times over the holidays has meant we have had 8 weeks off! Booo!

However, the new gigging year (in my eyes) is beginning so it is time to have a look at the setlist and get stuck into some new numbers.

We are a covers band, Foos, thin lizzy, led zep, acdc, killers, reverand and the makers, reef, green day, elvis.

We definitely have a rock streak in us, the songs we play are all pop songs in the sense that they were popular in their day and therefor bridge the range of ages you get in your pub venues.

Now, my quandary. The singist has suggested that maybe we do some quieter stuff, add a 'batwing' to the set. He suggested ballads.

My question to you guys for a bit of help - what stuff could we do. I don't like the idea of ballads but I want to get into his frame of mind and go to our next meeting about songs with some examples.

Any help greatly appreciated!

CM

Yep, Bon Jovi do great ballads, and most people know them too, which is a plus when playing a slow one. There are some fantastic rock ballads about, but bear in mind that a ballad instantly slows the set down, if you then are doing a ballad no-one knows, interest can plummet. If your guitarist doesn`t want to kill you after suggesting it, Sweet Child o` Mine by Guns N Roses is a great song.

I wanna know what love is - Foreigner

I'd do anything for love (but I won't do that) - Meatloaf

Don't stop believing - Journey

Festering in the Crypt - Cannibal Corpse

Luckily my band has a great female singer; we get to do Bonnie Tyler and Tina Turner!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1345550448' post='1778648']
I wanna know what love is - Foreigner

I'd do anything for love (but I won't do that) - Meatloaf

Don't stop believing - Journey

[b]Festering in the Crypt - Cannibal Corpse[/b]

Luckily my band has a great female singer; we get to do Bonnie Tyler and Tina Turner!

Truckstop
[/quote]

This is slightly out of our vocalists comfort spot haha! I played him some deftones to prove that metal wasn't all just white noise and he nearly fell off his chair!

Another one not mentioned is Aerosmith, they do some damn good ballads. How about taking something that wouldn't normally be anything like that, and putting your own spin on it to make it softer. For instance, i think something like Walk by Foo Fighters would be brilliant as a stripped down, less intense version.

Liam

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1345551476' post='1778686']
Maybe not all ballads, but some suggestions...

Here I Go Again - Whitesnake

That Was Yesterday - Foreigner

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - George Harrison

[b]Still in Love with You - Thin Lizzy[/b]

Parisienne Walkways - Gary Moore
[/quote]

A personal favourite of mine.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1345552418' post='1778714']
don't do a song that that somebody in the band doesn't like, resentment builds up and it'll end in tears
[/quote]

This has come a couple of times about the democracy of a band - if 4 out of 5 want to play it, what would you say?

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1345552568' post='1778717']
Another one not mentioned is Aerosmith, they do some damn good ballads. How about taking something that wouldn't normally be anything like that, and putting your own spin on it to make it softer. For instance, i think something like Walk by Foo Fighters would be brilliant as a stripped down, less intense version.

Liam
[/quote]

As good as Foo Fighters are (I'm a fan from the early days) we tend to find they don't go down that well in the pub crowd.
We've done:

Learn to Fly
Times like these
These days
Pretender

We also work on the premise that the song must be 'known'- I partially agree with this but don't think it need apply to the whole set list as people go to live music to listen to live music and are often open to hearing a new song etc.

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1345553772' post='1778738']
This has come a couple of times about the democracy of a band - if 4 out of 5 want to play it, what would you say?
[/quote]
Well I'm in a 4 piece and generally we reach a concensus, but if one person really doesn't want to do it we don't, there's enough other songs out there without causing resentment, having said that we've all got more a less the same musical taste which helps a lot, it's an old cliche 'musical differences' but it can cause a lot of aggro

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1345556271' post='1778765']
Most bands can't play a slow song which is the reason why they stay away from them.
If you are going to pick one..make sure you do it well
[/quote]
+1 to that. and try and make it a singalong as well