Why become a member? ×

J-Retro and 4 Jazz basses... what to do?

mcnach

First world problems, eh?
:P

So, not counting the Squier VM Jazz, which stays stock and I may let go... I have 3 Jazz basses, and soon I will have a fourth one (my very first bass, which I'm reacquiring, yay! :))

I have one J-Retro in my drawer. I mounted it on a black plate, after drilling the extra holes etc, and I meant to put it on the Squier VM... but I haven't. I still have the original, of course.

So, where would it be best?

1) Japanese Fender, 75RI, natural/maple/black pickguard.
I think it would look pretty nice, and since it's my favourite Jazz, it makes sense to fit it here.
However... This is the one Jazz bass I have owned that I don't find myself wishing I had a preamp on. It has a pair of Nordstrand NJ4SE pickups and although not the most "traditional", it sounds great, and I get a wider range of tones with this one that I have ever done with any other Jazz. So I feel like keeping it as it is. I might try the J-Retro, just in case... but I also prefer the standard control plate look, so unless it's significantly advantageous, I'll keep this one stock. Yes, the midsweep... I'm a big fan of it... chances are that when I try it I'll remember why I love this preamp... but I really like its passive voice.

2) Korean Squier. Red/rosewood/tortoiseshell.
It has a plywood body... but a delicious neck and I love this bass. A pair of SD Basslines SJB-2 pickups help this bass make me smile. Fender flatwounds on this one, which are quite bright.
The J-Retro would be a very nice addition, But I'd ruin the "classic" look. Vain? Superficial? Moi? :lol:
I've gigged this bass a few times. Love it.

3) Fretless.
A Squier VM Jazz with a replacement body (shoreline gold) and pickups (SD SJB-3) and white pickguard.
Looks don't really enter here. The body might be painted orange, or would be replaced by an ash one with some mild wood stain and oil finished.
A fretless Jazz and the J-Retro could be a fantastic combination. The thing is that I play fretless only at home and not all that much.

4) Vintage brand Jazz bass. Black/rosewood/black metallic pickguard.
My first bass, the one that started it for me. A black plate J-Retro would look great. The thing is I don't know how much I'm going to use this one. I am buying it back for sentimental reasons really, as I don't need another Jazz. I remember it being really nice... but my perception may have changed... it's been 4 years since I last played it!

I'm leaning towards fretless or Vintage... but then I realise those are the two less likely to see live action and to be used seriously.

Decisions decisions!

First world problems, like I said. ;)

Gigged the 75RI for the first time last night. Excellent.
After the gig I packed it... and this evening I take it out... and the neck pickup has very weak sound!!! :blink:

I opened it up, but nothing obviously wrong.... grrr, it means I'll probably just rewire the thing, as it's faster than testing everything. So, perhaps I'll just try the J-Retro with it, as it'll be even simpler. I just hope it's a cold solder or something like that, and not the pickup itself... it sounded great before :(

I put it on my Frankenfender with a set of 1994 Squier pickups. It sounds so good that I've been through 3 sets of pickups to try to make my other Jazz sound halfway decent in comparison. I've been through a set of dimarzios model Js, a set of wizard 64s and an old set of mex pickups. Put it on the one that plays best because It really doesn't matter which bass you put it on it will make it sound great but it will also make all your other Jazzes sound rotten.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1345237432' post='1775531']
I put it on my Frankenfender with a set of 1994 Squier pickups. It sounds so good that I've been through 3 sets of pickups to try to make my other Jazz sound halfway decent in comparison. I've been through a set of dimarzios model Js, a set of wizard 64s and an old set of mex pickups. Put it on the one that plays best because It really doesn't matter which bass you put it on it will make it sound great but it will also make all your other Jazzes sound rotten.
[/quote]

:lol:
I had the J-Retro originally installed in... a £40 Westfield Jazz, and it sounded fantastic! You are right, it can turn a so-so Jazz into a great one.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1345239319' post='1775572']
Have you ever thought of getting a USA Jazz? Squier and Jap Fenders don't cut it like a proper Jazz.
[/quote]

I will have to have a go again.
I was not a huge Jazz bass fan, contrary to appearances ;)
I have to say that as much as I like the Squiers I have, the japanese Jazz is a very different beast and it just has "something" that the Squiers don't. Much like my Stingray when I compared it to the OLPs I loved. But I don't recall having been terribly impressed by MIA Jazzes in the past... however, perhaps I just did not have much of an interest back then (my Warwick phase).

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1345239319' post='1775572']
Have you ever thought of getting a USA Jazz? Squier and Jap Fenders don't cut it like a proper Jazz.
[/quote]

b00lox - japanese fenders are at least the equal of the US production of the last 10 years, a fair few of them even have the same pickups on them.

The US vintage reissue is a step up I'll give you that but I would take one of the Jap reissue series over a US standard any day of the week and then some.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1345240979' post='1775598']
all "in my opinion of course"
[/quote]

Yep. I respect that. I have tried a lot of Jap and Mexican Fenders and they have that missing something to me. I think it is the basswood bodies, common in the Japs, doesn't seem to have the ring for me. I've played ordinary MIAs before, but those that have really made me grin have always been string thru MIAs.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1345246365' post='1775650']
Yep. I respect that. I have tried a lot of Jap and Mexican Fenders and they have that missing something to me. I think it is the basswood bodies, common in the Japs, doesn't seem to have the ring for me. I've played ordinary MIAs before, but those that have really made me grin have always been string thru MIAs.
[/quote]

ahh all the japanese fenders I've played/owned haven't had basswood bodies. the better ones don't.

I really dislike the current american standards- not sure why. The highway ones were nice, and played some awesome ones in the american vintage range - but the idea that all american are better than all japanese is daft.
A good japanese bass will be maple and alder/ash like a US made one, from what I've played I prefer the japanese made necks.

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1345276790' post='1775728']
Could it be fitted into a pedal?
Then you could use it on all of them, or anything else for that matter

Harry
[/quote]

John East does a retro in a pedal which would resolve the problem. Not sure that pedal gets as much love as it should. However not as good a solution when someone already has it in internal pre form.

Edited by RichF

[quote name='RichF' timestamp='1345278564' post='1775744']
John East does a retro in a pedal which would resolve the problem. Not sure that pedal gets as much love as it should. However not as good a solution when someone already has it in internal pre form.
[/quote]

Oooooh that may be the solution.

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1345276790' post='1775728']
Could it be fitted into a pedal?
Then you could use it on all of them, or anything else for that matter

Harry
[/quote]

some people like that.

For me, putting a preamp like this in a pedal is missing the point: to have the controls at my fingertips.
If I am going to have a separate box, I'd find something to sit on my amp, racked or not, and not limited by a 9V battery circuit, where I don't have to bend down everytime I want to tweak a knob or something.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1345280384' post='1775771']
seeing that you're going to have to open it up to see whats up with the pups, stick it in the japanese one :)
[/quote]

right now I'm very tempted to do this. All about using the momentum, minimal effort etc :lol:

I need to do a few things this morning, but in the afternoon is gut-the-bass time. Hopefully I can get the pickup working again.

My plan is to cut the pickup wires and measure resistance... if the value I get is not right, then it's the pickup. If it is, then I suspect the dry-looking solder... and at that stage either I resolder it... or since I'm at it, cut the wires for the neck pickup too and try the J-Retro. Black plate or chrome plate? :lol: Nah, it's the black one. I wish I could find stacked knobs for the J-Retro that look like the original Jazz knobs, but since I can't preserve the look, I might as well go for a bigger change.
I just want the bass back in action.
Two gigs tomorrow, two different bands. I planned to use my SUB for this, but bring the Jazz too.

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1345289918' post='1775899']
Funnily enough I prefer my J's not to have classic J knobs.

I can't imagine the J Retro not taking even the Japanese Fender over the top. I could see missing the passive tone, but the treble cuts at a low enough freq. to do as a pseudo tone control, IMO.
[/quote]

To be honest, talking about missing the passive tone, and classic Jazz tone... this is the ideal bass to try it on since the Nordstrand NJ4SE pickups are not exactly "traditional" sounding either, but they do sound very good, so yes, I'm leaning towards this option now. Despite the looks.
I loved what the J-Retro did to my Westfield Jazz, many moons ago... hmm.

never had to retro fit a JE and always been very happy with the passive tone. I use the pre and just embellish the natural sound and I am not into massive tone shaping the bass 99% of the time...
I also soundcheck passive first as sometimes this works really well,,and the pre is just that extra little help onboard.
If you want a pre to change the inherrent sound then you are approaching it the wrong way, IMO.