Why become a member? ×

£500 will buy you anything!

LukeFRC

No really.... the secondhand prices on here/ebay are mad at the moment- nothings moving fast (TIM?) but new stuff price is going up... and it's having some odd effects...

the bottom isn't going down... commonly a Squier vintage modified or the classic whatsit seems to go for about £150... but I've seen mexican jazzes go for that much on ebay, and then everything else is getting compressed down to certain price points...

so my initial claim...

if you exclude the top end, and custom made stuff - it seems if you name a bass and go hunting for it you can find one in the 500-600 price range.
then theres a gap and other stuff floating around £1000

really interesting how things move towards certain prices points, second hand prices are fascinating at the moment

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1345032486' post='1772569']

[b]if you exclude the top end, and custom made stuff[/b] - it seems if you name a bass and go hunting for it you can find one in the 500-600 price range.
then theres a gap and other stuff floating around £1000

[/quote]

So......mid-priced stuff then?! ;)

Si

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1345033355' post='1772595']
True to an extent, but I'm still waiting to see a sub-£1000 RIC in playable condition anywhere.

There are some terrific basses out there for very little money these days
[/quote]
seen quite a few of them about in the 600-800 range. top end of my point but still. :)

Yup it's all very interesting. The one that keeps staggering me is the Marcus Millers. They are over £1000 new now, partially due to VAT increase couple of years back, which adds cost from raw materials up wards. Exchange rate between sterling and Yen has had an impact, There are far fewer basses from Japan advertised on FEEBay now, because they have become prohibitively expensive.
Meanwhile back at Marcus.
Mr/Mrs/Ms Bloggs who bought there Marcus 8 years ago brand new at £400, now want £700/£900 for it because a new ones a grand.
Then they wonder why their is little interest.
Same can be said with Aerodynes, anybody paying £700 for them is frankly bonkers. You can have my White USA P for £650. Less than a Miller or Aerodyne? Ho hum! :blink:

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1345037943' post='1772697']
Yup it's all very interesting. The one that keeps staggering me is the Marcus Millers. They are over £1000 new now, partially due to VAT increase couple of years back, which adds cost from raw materials up wards. Exchange rate between sterling and Yen has had an impact, There are far fewer basses from Japan advertised on FEEBay now, because they have become prohibitively expensive.
Meanwhile back at Marcus.
Mr/Mrs/Ms Bloggs who bought there Marcus 8 years ago brand new at £400, now want £700/£900 for it because a new ones a grand.
Then they wonder why their is little interest.
Same can be said with Aerodynes, anybody paying £700 for them is frankly bonkers. You can have my White USA P for £650. Less than a Miller or Aerodyne? Ho hum! :blink:
[/quote] and what I find odd is how it affects some models and not others. Fender stick up the prices and the secondhand prices on the USA models more or less stay the same, whereas secondhand mexican models shoot up from £200-300 to £400+ asking prices. Theres quite a nice looking MIM jazz for sale on here at the moment- and nice bass I would think it is- but a MIJ jazz is a fair bit cheaper! In other places people ask more for the japanese one than a secondhand USA..... mad!
warwicks either are still dirt cheap, or at fairly pricy prices- always with the "would cost over £3500 new!!!"

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1345053499' post='1772975']
and what I find odd is how it affects some models and not others. Fender stick up the prices and the secondhand prices on the USA models more or less stay the same, whereas secondhand mexican models shoot up from £200-300 to £400+ asking prices. Theres quite a nice looking MIM jazz for sale on here at the moment- and nice bass I would think it is- but a MIJ jazz is a fair bit cheaper! In other places people ask more for the japanese one than a secondhand USA..... mad!
warwicks either are still dirt cheap, or at fairly pricy prices- always with the "would cost over £3500 new!!!"
[/quote]

Yup, it really is mad, but ultimately it's down to the same old, if it's what somebody is after and they have the loot................
Or alternatively, ask a daft price but don't be surprised if it doesn't sell.

Theres no logic to it and so many great basses to be had for around the £350 - £450 mark!

I really don't understand the Mexican Fender price thing either. For generally rubbish quality basses they are seriously overpriced considering the Lakland Skyline and G&L Tribute series that completely blow them away in all aspects. I mean why? Just for a logo?

Managed to get a Stingray, Black and Maple 2 EQ for just over £600 last year in original case. They can be found. Musicman quality control must be fantastic as this had a weak "G" and didn't sit in the mix like all the other Rays i have tried ;)

Its a really good market second hand if you have cash at the moment. Unfortunately, i just don't have GAS at the moment.