Why become a member? ×

Nope - I just can't do it!!

SpaceChick

keep on trying dont give up,if you do any dep work bv,are a big asset,adding vocs to a band can really add to you sound. I do a lot of lead and bv in my band we have three lead vocals,the problems I have if I sing lead,after doing bvs for such a long time I end up singing a harmony instead of the lead, oh yes sometimes the bass line may suffer,but its only me that notices. :gas: :D

Keep at it. There are some songs I find just too difficult, but the majority, providing they are within my range that is, I can get after some practice. Plus, it`s always worth looking at, will root notes plus BVs be better than an intricate bassline, with only lead vocs on a chorus?

Oh, I do the opposite to everyone else then, i try and stick the vocal line over the bass line as soon as I know what notes they're meant to be, so the whole thing sticks as one massive rhythmy-melodic thing in my head, and become inseperable.
Works for me, quicker you get the vocal line integral to the bass line, quicker you can get back to looking at the pretty people in the audience rather than thinking about the song.
:)

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1345031138' post='1772527']
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Lszt2HPK8&feature=relmfu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Lszt2HPK8&feature=relmfu[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks Fat Rich,

That is awesome (only just been able to play it... I couldn't play it when I was in work) that will really help me :D

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1345041280' post='1772747']
Oh, I do the opposite to everyone else then, i try and stick the vocal line over the bass line as soon as I know what notes they're meant to be, so the whole thing sticks as one massive rhythmy-melodic thing in my head, and become inseperable.
[/quote]

This is what I do.

All about practice and confidence IMO.

Also I love bands with female and male vocalists. Extra versatility and possibilities

Well I try, and I know what I want to be singing, it just takes a few run throughs to get comfortable with what the bass.

I doubt any of us are that different really, but in early days & while getting confidence, it's probably best to get the day job sorted (bass) then add the part time job (BV's)

The more you do it, the quicker the two come together, but if BV's are causing you to struggle with the bassline, then get happy with that first

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1345029651' post='1772481']
My band forced me into doing backing vocals a whiles back.
Singing was bad and basslines suffered. But they kept on at me, in a positive way, and the basslines are as they should be and the vocals have improved a hell of a lot.

I simplified the bass for when I was [s]singing [/s]shouting so I could concentrate in the vocals.
Then when the vocals improved I worked on the basslines.

Stick with it.
[/quote]

+ the 1. Practice, practice then some more practice.
Good or even fairly ordinary bvox can lift a tune & a band.
Keep at it, its not easy thats why not many do it!

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1345041280' post='1772747']
[/quote]

I go for that approach too, but I've been singing and playing for about 20 years, maybe the previous experience makes that approach easier I don't know.

But there are still times when I have to go away between rehearsals and work on certain bits that don't fit together easily. And in those cases I slow the whole thing down - sometimes really slow - and pay attention to the timing of the notes and syllables in relation to eachother. Soon enough you get used to how it feels to play/sing them both at the same time and it feels a bit like playing drums IMO. Getting two rhythms going in your head at the same time. It's a cool feeling when you get it working. :)

One tune I often recommend to get started is the chorus from 'The Lovecats'. There's just a couple of little places in that where the vocal and bass part separate, and I reckon if you can learn to play and sing that (and you can) you can probably play and sing anything.

That Yolanda clip is brilliant!.....

I used to do shouty lads choruses in the punk days!...
but it is a real issue trying to be tuneful & hold a groove down... Practice is always the key.. & not giving in to the lil voice that says... nah, I can't really, can I?!

Another Geddy Lee story... [i](if it isn't urban myth!)[/i] He apparently practiced playing a bass line whilst reading a newspaper out aloud..

My advice would be, do the Yolanda stuff... & then expand it to make it your own journey.... with tunes you are actually playing...

Go for it!

Good luck!
:)

Well today I have been trying these techniques, I can now talk and hold a conversation with most of my baselines, and have managed to sing with a few songs, my tuning sometimes goes a bit out on my vocals but I've certainly moved on a bit.

There are some songs I think I will NEVER be able to sing and play bass too, but there are some that I think I may.

I shall keep practicing :D

I've got a little bit of time, we've needed to put back our first gig as our lead guitarist has been on the NHS waiting list for an operation, and he received the letter today saying he needs to go in on Tuesday!!!! He will probably be out of action for about 2 months. So we've had to pull of of the charity gig we were meant to be part of in two weeks.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1345319045' post='1776313']
Well today I have been trying these techniques, I can now talk and hold a conversation with most of my baselines, and have managed to sing with a few songs, my tuning sometimes goes a bit out on my vocals but I've certainly moved on a bit.

There are some songs I think I will NEVER be able to sing and play bass too, but there are some that I think I may.

I shall keep practicing :D

I've got a little bit of time, we've needed to put back our first gig as our lead guitarist has been on the NHS waiting list for an operation, and he received the letter today saying he needs to go in on Tuesday!!!! He will probably be out of action for about 2 months. So we've had to pull of of the charity gig we were meant to be part of in two weeks.
[/quote]

Debs - hope the op goes well for him. He's a brave guy with one heck of a positive outlook.

I watched the clip and it's great - it is quite a challenge to try and talk while playing bass. Many a man's dream I guess! A woman who can play a bass and is mute :lol: . Any time you want to catch up, you know where I hide :). We can practice our limited capacity for speech - just imagine the (lack of) conversation :D :D