Why become a member? ×

Why look for a bass player when you could have a guitarist instead?

Happy Jack

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1344950372' post='1771521']
And to quote the singer in one of my bands, all the bass does is go boom in a corner.
[/quote]

and to quote him again if he'd said that to me.........

'fcuk me , Dave , this hospital food's sh*te.

They're obviously from the same school of thought as the band LostAlone's bassist in this months BGM:

"The secret of playing bass well is to be a lead guitarist for 10 years, then move onto bass. You'll pick it up pretty easy."

If I'd known that, I'd have picked up a guitar first! At least we all know the secret now!

Still a bit miffed that made it into a bass mag.

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1344960225' post='1771663']
They're obviously from the same school of thought as the band LostAlone's bassist in this months BGM:

"The secret of playing bass well is to be a lead guitarist for 10 years, then move onto bass. You'll pick it up pretty easy."

If I'd known that, I'd have picked up a guitar first! At least we all know the secret now!

[/quote]

I would not get too upset about that. Usually the "bass is easy" concept goes hand in hand with the music being played. Some types of music require just root notes with maybe a "five" thrown in for good measure. Yes, this is easy to play on the bass, but this is more than likely what the song requires.

I, you, and everyone else on this forum know different, i.e. that playing the bass can be as easy or as hard as you want/require it to be. It depends on how far you want to go with it.

All bassists are aware of this. Let others drown in their ignorance, if they wish.

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1344960225' post='1771663']

[/quote]

Haha, LostAlone's bass player used to live just around the corner from me. I didn't know he made it in to BGM. When he auditioned for the band, he'd NEVER played bass in his life before but was a big fan so knew all the songs on guitar. He did the audition and within 2 weeks was touring Europe with the band ... On an instrument he didn't know. Excellent.

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1344965064' post='1771767']
Perhaps they want a bass player that sounds like a guitarist playing bass.
Not a bass player that sounds like a bass player playing a bass.
[/quote]

I had better apply then :)

After 30 years playing guitar badly, I thought I would switch to playing bass badly instead.......