Why become a member? ×

G&L SB-2

ChorltonV

I was looking round my local guitar shop and came across a G&L SB-2 tribute bass. I wasn't really aware of these guitars, but the guy in the shop gave me the potted history of the company and how they were the 'true' heir to the Fender name, most of which is lost on me to be honest. I'm not about to sold on reputation, however I was tempted enough to plug it in and have a whirl and I have to say I bloody loved it. I know this model is put together in Indonesia using American parts, but my budget is never going to stretch to an American made model. I'm curious as to what other peoples opinions are, does anybody own one, what do you think?

[url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/SB-2_new/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/SB-2_new/index.asp[/url]

A friend of mine had one for a time, might still have it.... haven't seen him for a few months. The last time I played it I was very impressed by the bass, it was the tribute model aswell.

Obviously it depends on price of which I have no idea but half an hour searching the net should give you typical new/used prices and reviews.
From my experience, id say if you like it and it's a fair price go for it. HTH

Edited by Cygnus x-1

G&L are very overlooked by most players. They top Fender on design as after all, they're the evolution of Leo's original designs. I think cosmetics may let them down though, the Tribute JB2 looks very plain and dull but would easily out class MIM and even some MIA Jazzes.

If you like the SB2 and aren't bothered about its understated looks then get it, it will be a great addition and will also give you a little individuality from all the Fender fans.

I own an Indonesian built G&L Tribute L-2000 and apart from a few very minor cosmetic issues (like the tuner backs not quite lined up straight) I won't have a bad word said against it - frets/neck good, same pickups as USA model, decent hardware, a solidly put together bass.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1344438547' post='1764512']
The USA SB1 that I own is very very good.
[/quote]

Ditto, it just stays in tune and does a really wide range of tones. Get an early one and have the non pointy headstock :)

Apart from my sudden taste for cheap Warwick Rockbasses (£150 tops) the G&L is my first choice bass, and has been for 22 yrs or so (if memory serves me right). Having tried Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker etc etc in my youth, this is the bass I have settled on. I would not hesitate to have a tribute version.

I love G&L bases. I have both a USA and tribute SB2, as well as a trib L2000 and a trib. JB2. IMO, there is not much between the USA and Tribute SB2's, given the price difference. The main differences are in the finish, body wood, and tuners. I'm sure you wont be disappointed in the Trib SB2. Beats a MIM Fender precision hands down IMO.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1344433388' post='1764394']
I'd love a G&L but i just cant get past that fugly headstock. Great tone though so maybe one day......
[/quote]

Yay! A fellow headstock-obsessive! Couldn't agree more m'chum - luv the idea of G&L, shame about the headstock...

(Y'know when you're on a train and there's only one spare seat, it happens to be next to you, and then the obligatory mental person gets on, sits next to you and starts on a long rant? Well this could go that way.)

[quote name='sime17' timestamp='1344538244' post='1766239']
Yay! A fellow headstock-obsessive! Couldn't agree more m'chum - luv the idea of G&L, shame about the headstock...

(Y'know when you're on a train and there's only one spare seat, it happens to be next to you, and then the obligatory mental person gets on, sits next to you and starts on [b]a long rant[/b]? Well this could go that way.)
[/quote]

.....about fanned frets and cab frequencies lol.

Its just that pointy bit in the middle i dont like. To be honest i wouldn't let it put me off buying one, all the basses ive had have had something cosmetic i dont like about them.
Very nice basses though, i cant believe how cheap the non USA ones are, especially considering all the tone options.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1344588163' post='1766656']

Its just that pointy bit in the middle i dont like. To be honest i wouldn't let it put me off buying one
[/quote]

+1. While it is not exactly beautiful, a small thing like this is a small set back ( if indeed you could call it that), for an otherwise excellent all round bass. The tributes are great value.

Edited by Coilte

G&L and their tribute counterparts are excellent. I have a tribute l2000 , own of the last korean made ones, and it's fantastic. The USA ones are better, probably the best production basses I've ever tried IMO ,but value for money the tributes rock.
The headstock is probably a bit unnecessarily big but a minor flaw IMO.

I submit that the latter G&L headstock is vastly superior to previous efforts. To me, the old ones look like prototypes or even afterthoughts. A blob with tuner holes in it. All just my opinion, of course. And if you don't like the spike then you can always cut it off and you'll end up with something akin to an early SB-2 headstock, if that's your bag :)

I've said too much - bye!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1344595479' post='1766813']
Ok, point taken. The early one does look like it was mad in a kids wood work class, next to that the current headstock doesn't look too bad after all.
I do prefer the third one though.
[/quote]

/me passes you the jig saw ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1344594323' post='1766789']

I submit that the latter G&L headstock is vastly superior to previous efforts. To me, the old ones look like prototypes or even afterthoughts. A blob with tuner holes in it. All just my opinion, of course. And if you don't like the spike then you can always cut it off and you'll end up with something akin to an early SB-2 headstock, if that's your bag :)

I've said too much - bye!
[/quote]

As the lucky owner of one of the first G&L basses ever made, I have to say Matt you are wrong wrong wrong and for this act of heracy I demand that you relinquish your G&L fanciers membership pin forthwith. :D

Also I think I know you and your whacky bass collection well enough to know that if you'd scored an old L-2000E instead of a modern one that you'd be lovin' and not hatin'. :P

I'm personally not a big fan of the eye-gouger headstock but it wouldn't seriously put me off a great sounding bass... tone before looks and all that.