Why become a member? ×

G&L SB-2

ChorltonV

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1344596911' post='1766840']
As the lucky owner of one of the first G&L basses ever made, I have to say Matt you are wrong wrong wrong and for this act of heracy I demand that you relinquish your G&L fanciers membership pin forthwith. :D

Also I think I know you and your whacky bass collection well enough to know that if you'd scored an old L-2000E instead of a modern one that you'd be lovin' and not hatin'. :P

I'm personally not a big fan of the eye-gouger headstock but it wouldn't seriously put me off a great sounding bass... tone before looks and all that.
[/quote]

Hey man, you know that if I had a few spare hundred sloshing about the place then it'd be an El Toro I'd be after, and they're eye-gougers too.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1344598607' post='1766874']
And they're arguably the fuglyest bass they ever put out. :D
[/quote]

Indeed - it's those mini MFD pickups that intrigue me. Mind you, the fact that the control plate doesn't tally up at all with the shape of the body is mitigated somewhat by black crinkle on a black body:

I'd be all over that particular finish combination. And the bass as a whole? There's something reassuringly industrial about it. It isn't pretty, but it will sure as hell get the job done.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1344599378' post='1766885']
I'd be all over that particular finish combination. And the bass as a whole? There's something reassuringly industrial about it. It isn't pretty, but it will sure as hell get the job done.
[/quote]

I think I'd have to agree there man. Looking at this on my phone in bright sunlight it looks to be black... combined with the black crinkle it seems to be doing a good job of disguising most of it's misgivings.

[quote name='ChorltonV' timestamp='1344417974' post='1764039']I know this model is put together in Indonesia using American parts[/quote]
No American made parts, just parts made with American moulds/specs.

SB2 is a good bass. Like a few others, my vote goes for the El Toro.

Recently scored an L2000 Tribute off this very forum. It is the best bass in this price bracket that i have ever tried. Nothing else comes close - not even nearly close.

Build quality is very good, sound options are almost limitless, neck and body are solid and well finished. If i were hunting a bass in this price bracket and couldn't get a G&L i would either go for an old Yamaha BB1100s or a Lakland Skyline.

The MIM Fenders i have had have all been sold pretty quickly. They all had issues and were very average basses.

Go for it, Tributes are great.

Edited by BottomE
  • Like 1

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1344856545' post='1770075']
[sub]i have a tribute SB2 that i might be talked into parting with[/sub]
[/quote]

If they know a good bass when they see/hear/handle one, then I'm sure you'll have a lot of offers. Yours truely would have taken it off your hands, except I only recently got one.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1344859056' post='1770125']
Recently scored an L2000 Tribute off this very forum. It is the best bass in this price bracket that i have ever tried. Nothing else comes close - not even nearly close.

Build quality is very good, sound options are almost limitless, neck and body are solid and well finished. If i were hunting a bass in this price bracket and couldn't get a G&L i would either go for an old Yamaha BB1100s or a Lakland Skyline.

The MIM Fenders i have had have all been sold pretty quickly. They all had issues and were very average basses.

Go for it, Tributes are great.
[/quote]

+1 on the Trib L2000. Amazing basses.

Had a USA-made SB-2 for a while, loved it. Jazz Bass-like feel, Precision-like tone on steroids. The splitcoil in these basses is so incredibly loud! It's already at Fender Precision level with the volume knob at just 80%, and then there's still some left! At first I was missing a tone pot, but when I got to know the bass better I started to appreciate the simple VV control layout. I didn't like the bridge pickup stand-alone, but if you take the splitcoil as your base tone, you can use the two volume controls to dial in many great in-between tones. Turn the splitcoil down a little to lift off some highs. Turn the bridge pickup up a little and it will add some top end and scoop the mids a little. Turn both pickups on all the way for great modern rock tones but also a great slap!

The Tributes are fantastic basses for the money. Tried several Tribute L2000's, all of them were excellent! Great necks, great playability, great tone, great finish.

• Like 1