Why become a member? ×

What is your favourite brand of strings? (Survey)

davidmpires

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1344727859' post='1768602']
...any prizes for guessing your favourite colour..? :lol:
[/quote]

:lol: Oddly it's not even my favourite colour, just seems to look good on every bass! Had a set of Fender flats once with a horrendous green silk, had to get rid because it was clashing... sounded quite nice though!

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1344728248' post='1768610']
:lol: Oddly it's not even my favourite colour, just seems to look good on every bass! Had a set of Fender flats once with a horrendous green silk, had to get rid because it was clashing... sounded quite nice though!
[/quote]

A bass player that understands colour co-ordination? :blink:

That has to be a first... :)

(Ha - that has to be the first time anyone has ever managed to insult every bass player in the world using just six words... :D)

Used DR's ever since the Gallery started stocking them but I don't find the premium worth it anymore.

I've used many brands this last few years ever since I changed basses ..and therefore the peg config.
Hon runners-ups are Ken Smith and XL pros, and also La Bella Super Steps for the Taper on all strings but I now use Newtone who will make me up the same set in their Diamond series with T core on all 4 strings.

They aren't as zingy out of the pack but they last a long time..compared to DR's for example... so if they dull off a tad, the drop-off isn't as noticeable..
I have had a set on since Xmas..which is unheard of for me... and I am about to put on a new set.

They look fanatasically clean out of the pack... and this is part of my pet theory of degraded metals in some strings makers..

So..Newtone, all the way.
Just about to order a new batch now. and the price for 5 is very very good, IMO.

After years and years of using Elites on my Status (the range of DBE strings is very limited) and D'Addarios on everything else, I am now experimenting a bit more.

Of the brands I have tried thus far, I would have to say that DR fatbeams and hibeams are my favourites. They have the clank and zing that I like (although they are not the zingiest) but also seem to have much more mid-range than the likes of Elites and D'Addarios. I tried a set of Newtone Diamonds too - good for the price, but again sounded a bit scooped to my ears on my bass.

With all the positive comments about Roto Swings on here, I might well give them a try. Haven't used them since the eighties, when I also used their funkmaster sets!! :blush:

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1344602815' post='1766957']
Have you tried the Status dbe strings? I've got those on the headless and I think I'll be continuing with them. I use Elites for just about everything with a head though.

Guitar - I use D'Addario 10s and because I like a nice low action I get Mark D Phillips to file my nuts.
[/quote]

Tried the status dbe's and wasn't overly impressed tbh, they were ok but just not quite as good as the elites.

D'addario Pro Steels, though I've put coated bronzes on my acoustic guitar and coated strings on my electric guitar. My Shuker 6 headless has D'addario Nickels on and I am very impressed. Still zingy after a sweaty gig and they are smooth under the fingers too. (i've no quibble with the feel of Pro Steels).