Why become a member? ×

Iron Maiden Concert on telly RIGHT NOW

Fionn

Got given a ticket to see them on The Killers tour in Middlesbrough, thought they were sh*te, left before the end of the gig.
I watched last nights BBC 4 edited concert. My verdict, a handful of long-winded, 5 min plus songs that IMO went nowhere.
I suppose the only things that have ever really impressed me about Iron Maiden is that they've managed
to retain a massive worldwide following, and Steve Harris' stamina in keeping his 'one-trick pony' staccato rhythm going.
Oh aye I also thought Dave Murray did not look a well man!

Edited by pst62

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1344105350' post='1759933']
I've been getting all geed up about watching the backstage story on the gig on iPlayer. Would I be better off getting the Monopoly out?
[/quote]

The documentary on before the live gig was very good IMO.
If you like maiden you'll enjoy it, if you don't then I doubt if it'll change your mind.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1344106228' post='1759948']
The documentary on before the live gig was very good IMO.
If you like maiden you'll enjoy it, if you don't then I doubt if it'll change your mind.
[/quote]

Thanks! I can take them or leave them. My other half is recovering from a major op that practically cut her in half; so I'll add it on to the list of stuff to watch quietly while she's having a nap or early night. Makes a change from 60's sci-fi & post war b/w films.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1344110520' post='1760029']
Thanks! I can take them or leave them. My other half is recovering from a major op that practically cut her in half; so I'll add it on to the list of stuff to watch quietly while she's having a nap or early night. Makes a change from 60's sci-fi & post war b/w films.
[/quote]

Regardless of who the band is, I found it to be a very interesting look at the logistical side of taking a big show like that around the world.
They always come across as a really down to earth bunch of blokes too.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1344120982' post='1760216']
I'd stay where you are - that's quality viewing!

PS Hope your other half is better soon.
[/quote]

Thanks mate, appreciated, she's doing really well so far & so long as the biopsy comes back clear (not much reason why it shouldn't) she'll be fine by October they say.
Watched an old film called "The Criminal" the other night. I'd never heard of it; a prison drama B-film, the star was Stanley Baker, but it was like a Who's-Who of future stars, with a blink & you miss him non-speaking part by Kenny Lynch (Jimmy Tarbuck's mate - before your time).
To be fair - I am bad at "What was he in again?" - drives her daft! :blush: :lol:

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' timestamp='1344120762' post='1760212']
I'm the opposite, I thought DiAnno was the man !
[/quote]

Yes !! Thank you, I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that. I saw them in er....1980ish with the original line up, and was blown away, haven't seen them since. "Iron Maiden" and "Killers" are the best 2 albums,[i] IMHO[/i] of course. I don't mind the Bruce years stuff though, and quite enjoyed the documentary, but the concert was a bit dull. Stevie Harris is still the man though, great bass player, and a big influence on me.

I saw them a couple of times with Di'anno (& "Big" Den Stratton!) in the very old days & they were pretty good but at the time I thought Saxon were the far better live band.
Back then I never would have expected Maiden to become one of the biggest bands in the world & stay there for as long as they have.

I've seen them quite a few times with Bruce over the years, including the last tour, and I've always come away feeling I've got my moneys worth & had a really good night, so long may they continue.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1344167963' post='1760599']
i only knew about 3 songs they played as I kind of lost touch with Maiden in 92. Saw them at Twickers a few years ago and they were great, but can't say I was impressed with the concert shown.
[/quote]

It was heavily edited for TV, and unfortunately they chose a lot of songs that were very similar from their later albums, so I'd agree that the TV version was a bit samey & probably wouldn't have endeared them to anybody not familiar with the stuff - I was surprised how many of the "classics" they left out for the TV edit, and I've never thought Bruce could sing "Iron Maiden" very well; his phrasing is all wrong.