Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz opinions

skej21

Been talking to our contacts through work and have managed to line up an endorsement (of sorts) for some Genz Benz gear.

He's asked me to get back to him with the stuff I want but I've only ever played a Shuttle 9.0 head through a couple of Aggy cabs, so basically don't have a lot of firsthand experience so was hoping to get your opinions.

Basically, just want to know what the standout Genz Benz amps/cabs are and what you guys think of them! Ideally, I want something around the 500-600 watt mark, cab and head. Either that, or a smaller combo for smaller gigs.

Thanks in advance!

I have a Shuttle 3.0 and a Shuttle 6.0, the shuttle 6.0 has covered every type of gig you could throw at it no problem but I prefer the FET channel of the 3.0. Money no object I would take a 9.2 max as thats 2 channels, one FET one valve, both 900watts each and blendable. You can run four 8 ohm 4x10's off that for example!

As for cabs I have the NEOX 2x12T its used by loads of basschatters including ones with other make amp heads, it's a great cab.
I also have a NEOX 1x12T which does your pub gigs no problem with either of my heads, if I know the pa is huge and it's a long walk with the gear I use that anyway, it has a foot built in to angle it up at you too :)

Über cabs are meant to be epic but I have not tried them. Have you watched any Ed Friedland clips yet?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Cheers for the reply Pete! I've watched plenty of Ed Friedland but I'm finding it difficult to judge considering I've not heard stuff 'in the flesh' so to speak. I really like the look of the Shuttle 6.2-210T combo or maybe the 2 x 10 cab from the Contour 500 series. Still feeling indecisive though...

I've got a Shuttle 6.0. I've had Trace, Eden and SWR amps in the past and can honestly say that the Shuttle blows them all into the weeds. Not necessarily in terms of power -- the SWR was an SM900 and the Trace was paired with a 1kW power amp -- but in terms of sound quality. The only thing that's ever come close is a Focusrite preamp I had. The Shuttle is the sound I've always had in my head, and the icing on the cake is the fact that it is one tenth the weight of the SWR.
I'm told the 6.2 is even better and TBH is the only thing i'd consider swapping the 6.0 for.
Recommended without hesitation.

[quote name='bozzie' timestamp='1343976692' post='1757973']
go try them, where are you based?

If you are close to Portsmouth i believe Nevada Music has a small range of Genz gear, but for the best selection try Mark at Bass Direct.
[/quote]

I'm based up near York/Leeds. Fortunately, I'll be getting the gear direct through the rep at work and can swap/return if I'm not happy, so I shouldn't need to travel to test them. Just wanted to get a rough idea before I take the plunge.

Looks like the Shuttle 6.2-210T combo is the winner at the moment!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1343980343' post='1758008']
I'm based up near York/Leeds. Fortunately, I'll be getting the gear direct through the rep at work and can swap/return if I'm not happy, so I shouldn't need to travel to test them. Just wanted to get a rough idea before I take the plunge.

Looks like the Shuttle 6.2-210T combo is the winner at the moment!
[/quote]

I've used Trace, Nemesis, SWR, EBS and Epifani and the GB Shuttle 9 is by far my favourite amp to date - the power is great but it's just the simplicity and flexibility of the amp that I love - and it's so light I can put it in my bass gig bag, that's 900watts in a pocket on my gig bag... love, love, love that amp - it can do anything you want. Get over to Bass Direct and try one.

M

I had Shuttle 6, sold it, waffled about with other amps in between, got another Shuttle 6.
When I first turned up with the "Car radio" as I like to call it, the guitards were, "you are joking right?" Sound check, TURN IT DOWN!!!!
It is the simplicity and out of the box sound that makes me smile. The weight is just a massive bonus. No amp GAS for me.
Did I mention I was jealous of you :lol:
Karl.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1343990330' post='1758229']
Another +1 for the Shuttle here, but money no object you'll probably get more flexibility from the Streamliner, has both valve and FET preamps and valve EQ (Shuttle EQ is SS).
[/quote]

Damn! There are too many options.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1343991679' post='1758261']
Are there any rock/metal players using Genz Benz amps or isn't it really suited to that sort of stuff?
[/quote]

The cover band I'm in do over 40 gigs a year (originally was to be no more than one a fortnight) we cover from Bad Co Can't Get Enough through to Iron Maiden Afraid to Shoot Strangers through to Metallica Am I Evil. My 6 does it no probs, against the rest of the band going through the PA (no PA woofers, I'm not allowed through it, but the bass drum is???)

I suppose they don't look the part but the valve in the preamp will go fuzzy with a hot enough signal so it can do the sound if that's what you want. I was really surprised at how good the pre sounds to be honest.

Apparently the limiter on the power stage is also intended to emulate power valves, with similar compression characteristics and harmonic generation, but I haven't cranked mine yet so I don't know how well it works.

Im not so sure about the Streamliners now, I had gas for one and I'm certain it will do big valve type sound much much better but you can always add some of that with a sansamp or whatever to a Shuttle but you cant seem to get a Streamliner as clean as a Shuttle so if you like clean but want the ability to rock out I'd go with a new Shuttle of some sort. All the talk about the valve EQ of the streamliner is great but the FET on the 3.0 is the best Genz noise I have heard so put that into the 900 watt amp (ie the Max 9.2) and you have everything all in one amp and like TNIT says you can get some decent fuzz out of the preamp valve if you need to, I have done a [i]fairly[/i] convincing Blur Song 2 with just the valve on full, the punters liked it thats the main thing :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1344009044' post='1758691']
the FET on the 3.0 is the best Genz noise I have heard so put that into the 900 watt amp (ie the Max 9.2) and you have everything all in one amp
[/quote]

Sorry, didn't understand that. Are you saying the Max 9.2 does have the same FET, or that one must change FETs in it?

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1344015039' post='1758826']

Sorry, didn't understand that. Are you saying the Max 9.2 does have the same FET, or that one must change FETs in it?

best,
bert
[/quote]
The 3.0 is all FET and sounds really good, very tight and clean but only 300 watts, the max heads have a FET channel and a valve channel running into separate power amps 600 or 900 watts, so basically you can run 900 watts into a 4 ohm load off one channel and 900 off the other, 4 4x10's off a head the size of a shoe box!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1344018461' post='1758873']
The 3.0 is all FET and sounds really good, very tight and clean but only 300 watts, the max heads have a FET channel and a valve channel running into separate power amps 600 or 900 watts, so basically you can run 900 watts into a 4 ohm load off one channel and 900 off the other, 4 4x10's off a head the size of a shoe box!
[/quote]

Ah, thanks. So I gather you're basically saying the FET channel in a big Max sounds basically like or similar to the 3.0 then?
I knew about the FET / FET+valve thing, and that's what attracted me to the expensive ones most, but was bewildered by your "put that into". I guess my lacking English is showing here, but that's hardly news. :)

Thanks! You deserve to become bongoPete1977. ;)

best,
bert

Are there any rock/metal players using Genz Benz amps or isn't it really suited to that sort of stuff?
[/quote]

For me, my Streamliner 900 is brilliant with my Stingray in my rock covers band [u]and[/u] my NSCR5 in my ukulele covers band - absolutely love mine

Don't hesitate, buy one!!!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1344018461' post='1758873']

[/quote]

I think the Max 9.0 and 9.2 only have one power amp, so you can have either channel or blend into the one power amp, which then drives a 4 ohm load or two 8 ohms. Can't have two 4 ohm loads I'm afraid. The Max 12.2 OTOH has two power amps so can drive two 4 ohm loads or 4 8 ohms, or a mix, but you can't have separate channels into separate power amps - the same sig is sent to both power amps, i.e. FET, tube or blend.

Sorry yes I'm getting confused with my own invention I mentioned in another thread, the 18.2! Which although fictional has two amps like the 12.0! :) I have also invented a triple decker version that has the Streamliner EQ as well, 3 power amps naturally, the 'Shuttle Liner 27.0' :lol:

Are you sure you can't run one side as FET and one as valve on the 12.0?

[quote name='bozzie' timestamp='1343976692' post='1757973']
go try them, where are you based?

If you are close to Portsmouth i believe Nevada Music has a small range of Genz gear, but for the best selection try Mark at Bass Direct.
[/quote]You'll have to be quick. They are running them down & replacing with TC I was told a few weeks back.

From my comparison of the Shuttle & Streamliner into my Barefaced Super12T before I bought the Streamliner 6, the Shuttle is a lot brighter and more clinical than the Streamliner. When I A/B'd them in Nevada I found I needed to roll the tweeter right off or it was cutting my head off when the Shuttle was plugged in. The Streamliner gave me the warmer valvey sound I was looking for for the classic rock / prog / country I am variously involved in.

[/quote]

I'm using a 600 Streamliner (Berg cabs) with a classic rock band covering Deep Purple, Rainbow, Whitesnake, Sabbath etc and the Streamliner gives me that good old warm valve rock sound. Solid bottom end and cutting mids or highs whenever i need it. That is everything from the deep solid Jimmy Bain and Bob Daisley sound to Glenn Hughes Rik sound from live album,
I tend to run the amp flat for live work but a little mid boost at rehearsals just helps cut the mix a bit. Lightweight and very adaptable. PA guys love its simplicity. I wouldconsider its bigger brother though the 900. I occasionally hit the limit light when running with one 8ohm cab but never with 4ohm load with GAIN and pre-vol at 12 clock with master vol at 11 clock. That is easily loud enough for serious rehearsal volume and live work with PA. I've never tried the cabs but they get good reports.
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7