Why become a member? ×

Forced to go fretless full time

Chris2112

Well, this week I sold my Warwick Streamer (it's sitting in it's case now, packed up and ready to be posted), which leaves me with just my Fender Jaco Pastorius fretless jazz bass. The money I've made from selling the Streamer I've decided will go towards a new car, when I get round to selling my Impreza.

At first, I wondered if I really should have a fretted bass in the ranks, but then I thought "well why should I?". I can't do my usual slap bass tricks but over the past couple of days I have found it rather enjoyable just making the fretless bass work on every track (Level 42 aside...until I get another bass!). The joy mainly is in copping that Jaco sound, getting the back pickup on solo and playing close the bridge. I haven't yet found a song where that doesn't sound fantastic. I had a blast along with the Shadows and Light version of [i]Free Man In Paris[/i] by Joni Mitchell. That is the one to listen to; outageously burpy bass tone and nicely busy playing in a really energetic band setting.

You know, this imposed fretless exile could be the best thing I've done in ages. It's sparked a new creative approach, I can't think why I haven't done this before!

I find playing fretless Bass focuses the mind some what, If you get me, and I kid myself I sound like Pino P(Ha Ha!!) and do some highly inappropriate slidy things all night.
However, I allways bring a fretted bass as well, to every gig, for Rocky,Plec or slappy tunes.Then to be honest a very much needed fingerboard skim on my Fretless, due to roundwounds and being slaphappy taught me a (£60) lesson.
I'm not helping much am I?
P.S.
Cars will allways be a more expensive hobby than Bass playing, that will earn you a few dollars. but then. you know that too dont ya? (I'm rather partial to a super Sierra myself)

Edited by witterth

You've sold a bass to finance a new car? With me, over the years, it's been the other way about!

I find myself picking the fretless fellas up more than the fretted guys. Practising intonation without looking at the fingerboard is something I find rather focussing.

Wow, this is as surprising to me as when Grand Wazoo defected to Dingwall!

You seemed to be a total fan of the more innovative 80s designs like Status and Kubicki, I'm amazed to see you playing a 50 year old design.

Nice choice of bass though, I always keep my Status basses but I'm just as happy playing my Fenders.

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/Fretless.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1343603733' post='1752705']
I love playing my fretless bass. It just feels more natural to me. I suppose its because I started off playing a double bass a long time ago.

"Home" is playing an unlined, fret free neck. Who needs 'em?

Well that would be me when I see a P bass that catches my eye!

Enjoy.
[/quote]

Pretty sure that's where I get it from as well - started learning double bass at the age of 13, 27 years later got back into bassw playing and now exclusively play 5 string fretless. Does everything I want it to.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1343637320' post='1752834']
I'm actually about to do the opposite - I'm probably getting rid of my fretless because I just cannot seem to get away from all the cliches inherent to the instrument & I'm just really bored of that sound.
[/quote]

Ooooooh, what might you be getting rid of Rhys? Just wondering if I could help in any way...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1343637320' post='1752834']
I'm actually about to do the opposite - I'm probably getting rid of my fretless because I just cannot seem to get away from all the cliches inherent to the instrument & I'm just really bored of that sound.
[/quote]
Eh? IMO the cliches only surface when one thinks "it's fretless so I have to do slides etc." If you play your "fretted" repertoire on a fretless, but play it just as you would on a fretted, you may be surprised!

...and thinking of slides, I generally prefer the sound of a fretted glissando over that of a fretless portamento, so it's for the songs with slides that I switch to fretted!

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1343646200' post='1752981']
...If you play your "fretted" repertoire on a fretless, but play it just as you would on a fretted, you may be surprised![/quote]

+1 There was a guy playing a fretless at a jam night which sounded so much like a fretted I didn't notice at first.
Not sure if it's for me, though. I get the occasional 'senior moment' where I need to look at the fingerboard. :unsure:

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1343635463' post='1752808']

You seemed to be a total fan of the more innovative 80s designs like Status and Kubicki, I'm amazed to see you playing a 50 year old design.

Nice choice of bass though, I always keep my Status basses but I'm just as happy playing my Fenders.

[/quote]

I still love my 80's designs, but I listen to lots of 80's electronic music (Depeche Mode, Kraftwerk, Erasure etc etc). The organic fretless bass sounds so free in the mix when I play along with them. Take a big, open sounding Kraftwerk tune with perfect intonation on the electronic instruments. I can glide around on my fretless bass almost like a solo instrument, sliding up to pitch, creating new sounds. There is space to move there, where on a fretted bass it may sound a little 'stiff' in the same setting.

Or take a busy, heavily arranged Depeche Mode or Erasure track. I can play with a firm right hand and often you'd never know I was playing a fretless but I may add a little vibrato that gives it away. But again, the organic, burpy fretless sound gives a human touch to the cool sound of the synthesisers!

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1343646200' post='1752981']
If you play your "fretted" repertoire on a fretless, but play it just as you would on a fretted, you may be surprised!
[/quote]

I do that & I far prefer the sound of my fretted basses to be honest.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1343645401' post='1752960']
Ooooooh, what might you be getting rid of Rhys? Just wondering if I could help in any way...
[/quote]

Zon Legacy Elite fretless four string (the one on the right of my avatar) - £1500 & it's yours..... :)

Been playing my fretless Wal for a while now during gigs (sorry about the costume) and if I had to choose between a fretted or a fretless bass I would go for fretless.. there's the melancholy, the freedom, the madness and most of all : the lack of routine since you have to pay attention every time you play a note..good luck with the bass !

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1343686716' post='1753828']
If I didn't play in a rock band or perhaps mostly played on ballad-type tunes then I'd be happy as a fretless player as well. Best of luck to you.
[/quote]
Check out some stuff I played on last year: http://soundcloud.com/andagain/sets/demos-july-2011/ - rock band with token ballad-type tune, and 60% fretless :-)