Why become a member? ×

Should i buy a stingray?

lowdowner

After swapping my Hot-rodded USA Precision for an SR5, I couldn't be happier. I was so taken by it that I bought a 2EQ SR4 to sit alongside. For the first time in a long time, my bass GAS has gone. As with any bass, try before you buy

If you have the money, the second hand market is pretty good at the moment. I was looking at a nice one that went for £550 on eBay this week!

I had one for a while before moving it on to fund another bass. I do miss it actually and will probably get another when I have more cash.....

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1343469670' post='1751154']
I had one for a while before moving it on to fund another bass. I do miss it actually and will probably get another when I have more cash.....
[/quote]

Is that the one I now have?

If so, I blame PeteB. I picked up a bonus at work - banked the bulk of it and left myself some money for treats; ended up with a Stingray. Then sold large chunks of the rest of the collection to fund some more :lol:

Superb basses, love them to pieces - can't believe it took me so long to discover them!

[i]However[/i], that was my experience. It might not be yours. Can you find a BC'er down in Cheltenham to let you have a try? I don't think you'll be disappointed, but always worth trying :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1343420428' post='1750652']
I got into them after massive Warwick disappointment so there is your opposite view ;)
[/quote]

The same, but regarding the five string variants. I've always been a Stingray fan, so take it with a pinch of salt perhaps!!!

Their 5 string basses are superb. I was always on the fence about jumping onto a 5 string, and the Ray 5 HS was my gateway drug to it.

Now I have three and another on the way, all Musicman.

Not to mention 2 4 string Rays.

Can you tell I like them?

Seriously though, try one out. I tried Lakland, Warwick, Sadowsky, etc, and came back to what I wanted 15 years ago; a Stingray 5.

Might not be your cup of tea, but only you can be the judge.

Keep it stock, and ignore the second hand market on here if you are worried about re-sale. They sell a lot better on the EB forums and ebay. If you want a bargain, pick one up on here.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1343470045' post='1751160']
Is that the one I now have?

If so, I blame PeteB. I picked up a bonus at work - banked the bulk of it and left myself some money for treats; ended up with a Stingray. Then sold large chunks of the rest of the collection to fund some more :lol:

[/quote]
Yep, it's the one that I sold to you!

I was never that sure about it when I had it and it was never my main gigging bass, but even then I said to you that I might well get another at some point.

Will look for a s/h one later in the year, most likely with a rosewood neck......

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1343459213' post='1751011']
How can they be Marmite when it took you ages to find out you dont like them and that they are so bad? Thats the whole point of the Marmite arguement you either love them or hate it, not love it for ages,buy loads,rave about it then change your mind and tell everyone not to buy it. ;)
[/quote]

[b][size=6]Hey Pete, WAIT a f***ing minute before you misunderstand my sentence!![/size][/b]

[size=4]That is not my opinion of them, I said that is the general opinion some people like them some don't. Personally I did like them a lot but I came across something that gave me greater satisfaction, easier playability and more "me" sound, [size=5][b]lighter weight[/b][/size] and yes weight is an issue. For me the search continues, I wasn't born with brand loyalty of any kind, the day I find something better yet things might change again in my stable.[/size]

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1343501236' post='1751533']
I must say, if I were to get another EBMM I would go for a Big Al 5 SSS, it was by far the most fun of all of them which I had. (If only they were a bit lighter)
[/quote]

Plus one...cool bass. Loved your old one.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1343501236' post='1751533']
I must say, if I were to get another EBMM I would go for a Big Al 5 SSS, it was by far the most fun of all of them which I had. (If only they were a bit lighter)
[/quote]

I always liked your trans red SR5 - I know you had modded electronics in it but the SR5 is the daddy of 5 string basses - great sound and so versatile.

As has been said, not everyone gets on with Stingrays so it would be worth trying some out to see what you think - they are all great basses in my mind - you can get standard sounds which make you smile without much bother - and I have used an SR5 for a range of gigs - pop; classic rock; soul; funk; and rockabilly - yes rockabilly! That was an interesting one because someone I know came to that gig, didn't know I was playing in the band and walking through the building into the room had thought the band had a double bass, only to find me playing a fretted SR5 - which rather shocked them! Now I'm not saying my SR5 sounds like a double bass but combined with playing style, it certainly made a sound to fit the band.

If you can get on with a Stingray, you'll find it'll fit most genres with some skillful use of the instrument. They are extremely comfortable to play. I did a 45 minute set this afternoon at a local festival with a soul/blues band - I used my fretless SR4 - it was a breeze to play and I went from thumpy P bass finger funk sounds to Jaco/Pino style fretless sounds, to a track with full on slapping - the bass has EB Group 3 flatwounds - I didn't touch the EQ on the amp or bass once after we started and it covered all of this without any bother - in fact it sounded great. I am told it sounded like a fretted bass on the slap and some of the thumpy finger funk stuff - but very obviously a fretless when played in the appropriate style.

I hope you find a Stingray you like - I did back in 1980 and bought my last new one about 2 yrs ago..........hmmm cue some newStingray gas..........

I have had my MM 2 band eq Ray for about 12 years. At the time I wasn't looking for a new bass as I had 3 (Charvel, P-Bass & Aria SB) A collegue at work asked if I wanted a bass. I said not really, but what is it.?When he said it was a MM Ray I said that's interesting, and he let me borrow it for a while. I fell in love and it's my main bass. He has since bought another one to replace the one he sold to me. I can't imaginge not having it.

A bass playing friend of our son (who plays drums) came round recently and our son let him try my Ray out. He has played a lot of basses and said it was the best thing he's played.

So there you go 2 positive endorsements for the price of 1.

I think in reading this you have your mind made up.
You will not regret owning one of these, I had two and when I sold them there was a hole in my life which was only filled when I got another 5 stringer.
The tone, sound, power and cheesy grin never fade.
As for the spouse scenario. My little lady endorses and encourages bass buying, (but only if I sell or trade alongside and she has full disclosure).

Tell her it's a lifelong commitment to improving your skill and hobby - it's not just materialism etc etc and she will go with you to pick the colour.
Order it on the quiet and it arrives with you not there and she signs for it - you've had it. Enjoy your last new bass.
You won't regret buying a 5 stringer, you will regret selling one.

Buy one, preferably a 2EQ variant for £700ish or lower. You won't regret it, and should the worst happen, you can flip it with no financial pain. I tried one out as a teenager in 86, loved it, had no funds being a poor student. Years later via Westone, MIJ P, various Steinys in my headless phase, and penultimately a SUB, ended up with my dream 2EQ, an '88 stunner. Took a long journey but the wait was worthwhile. There is no finer, more versatile, better looking bass IMHO, it's my sound.

I firmly believe they're the best and most consistent 'mass market' bass. On that note, 4 string, 2 band eq. Less is more. (says the man with a custom-ordered 5..................)

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1343526701' post='1751773']
Exactly what happened to me
[/quote]

Exactly the [i]opposite[/i] of what happened to me... and what do we learn from this children? We're all different and you can't just go by others' recommendations or anti-recommendations - if you can, always try out that new gear first. And have I always followed this sound advice myself? Have I f...! :blush: