Why become a member? ×

Should i buy a stingray?

lowdowner

OK, so I've been paid a bit of a bonus and I've always wanted to try a Musicman Stingray (probably 5 string) - every time i've heard one online it's sounded phat!). Are they worth the money, and would you get a 4 string or a 5 string?

I'll have to keep it hidden from the other half until I can find an explanation/excuse, so it'll have to be worth it...

Advice?

Well everytime I`ve played one I`ve loved it, so I went out and bought one, plus a Sterling Musicman Ray34 as backup. They play great, but I`m not sure if they are "me" though I think a lot of that is due to having new strings on them - something I really don`t like. I`ve always been a Precision man, and hate new strings on those too. Just got to wait for my Rotos to die on them, see if I`m fully satisfied.

I`d say get hold of a used one - my 4 string Ray was £680. A bit battered, but I like that anyway. Factor in a bit more for better condition. At least going used, if you don`t like, you`ll get your money back on here, selling it on.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1343417300' post='1750545']
I'll delete my post if you like, then you can just wait until all of the Stingray lovers come along & tell you what you REALLY want to hear. :)
[/quote]

but now there's always going to be a nagging little doubt in my mind... a little demon whispering in my ear with worries and fears :(

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1343417504' post='1750555']

I`d say get hold of a used one - my 4 string Ray was £680. A bit battered, but I like that anyway. Factor in a bit more for better condition. At least going used, if you don`t like, you`ll get your money back on here, selling it on.
[/quote]

Excellent advice - thanks :)

I have two Stingrays now, I absolutely love the 5 string and love the sound and playing it. The pre EB I am not so in love with, great mojo and sounds great but the neck just feels a bit too chunky for me. I also had a Sterling a few years ago which was ok but the pick up selector switch confused me and I don't think it sounded that much like a small Stingray should!

If you can afford to have one and it not be your main bass then you would be happy. I personally think that every bass player should have one in their arsenal if they can! Of course if you get one and love it and then you can use it for everything as many do.

I would also advocate getting the East preamp put into it as that makes such a massive difference to the tones you can get from them!

Not sure if that helps or not?

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1343417507' post='1750556']

but now there's always going to be a nagging little doubt in my mind... a little demon whispering in my ear with worries and fears :(
[/quote]

Try get your hands on one for a few days or if thats not possible try get as much use as possible in a store. I'm talking repeat visits and playing until they tell you to stop.................

Personally I love the tone but hate the neck.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1343418457' post='1750595']
I would also advocate getting the East preamp put into it as that makes such a massive difference to the tones you can get from them!

Not sure if that helps or not?
[/quote]

What is an 'East preamp' - is this a MM option, or an aftermarket job?

Check out some live tracks from the band sade

if you want a bass that you can plug in, play, that will sound great and sit in the mix easily with minimum amount of messing with tone controls then a stingray will do all these things.

each man for themselves, precisions get so much praise on this site but im still unable to get a decent sound out of one, after owning 60;s 70's 80' and current day ones!

i love jazz basses but other than "super jazz active monsters" i feel they also lack punch

just my 2 penies worth, its subjective but thought i would even out the ballance!!

I've had 3 4 strings and they all went quite quickly and 1 5 string and I stayed for ages, much thicker sound because of the bigger neck, still loads of umph but it had everything I felt the 4 stringers were missing.
Go somewhere that has a 2 and 3 band preamp 4 string and a 5 string, all with one pickup...try all 3 preferably through an amp like yours, with a trusted friend there for an impartial opinion and let your fingers and ears decide!

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1343419108' post='1750618']
*so* many fender-fans... but when I hear Stingrays on different tracks I'm impressed... I guess trying one is the way to go.. but 4 or 5 sting??
[/quote]

No harm in having a five string, but try both!

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1343416635' post='1750522']
Buy a 4 string, then take your other half out for a meal and a show on the change... then break the news to her. :D
[/quote]

sounds like a good plan.
Maybe factor in a pair of shoes as well ;)

(loook at my avatar, loook at my avataaar... your fingers want to feel a stiiiingray neck... your ears want to hear a Stiiiiiingraaaay) :P

however, I have to admit I play my MusicMan SUB (4 string) a lot more than my Stingray these days. Mine is white, it sounds killer and I think it also looks it. I can always get a great fat well defined tone with a minimum of fuss.
Just to throw in another idea.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1343420428' post='1750652']
I got into them after massive Warwick disappointment so there is your opposite view ;)
[/quote]

Really???

:lol:

I had a couple of Warwicks (Corvette $$ being the closest with the pair of MM type pickups) before I considered anything remotely close to MusicMan, and... you know the process, it's well documented :lol:

They do hold their value quite well so if you do decide to buy one and sell it at a later date you shouldn't lose out too much.

I have been playing one for years and quite a few players over that time in various bands I've been playing with have said they love the sound of a Music Man. One guitarist told me it was his favourite bass sound.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1343424608' post='1750765']

Really???

:lol:

I had a couple of Warwicks (Corvette $$ being the closest with the pair of MM type pickups) before I considered anything remotely close to MusicMan, and... you know the process, it's well documented :lol:
[/quote]

Went to collect my Jazzman with £1250 in my pocket, it's preamp was shot from the factory, came home with my first Ray :) that was over ten years ago now.