Why become a member? ×

Band as juke box scenario

Deep Thought

I'm sure we've all had this scenario-punter wants you to play his/her favourite song, despite the fact that you don't know it, and can't get their head around the concept that a band can't just play a song at will. I had it at our last gig, from the chap organising it, in all seriousness 'that chap over there thinks you have a good voice for Joy Division, any chance you could play some?'. Well I don't know about everyone else's band, but we certainly can't just bash out a song on demand with no rehearsal. I really like Joy Division, but I doubt, with the possible exception of 'Love will tear us apart', the other two have even heard anything by them. I had to explain that a band is not a juke box and cannot just pluck a song out of a hat. I still don't think he got it!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1343328309' post='1749090']
My band is actually called "Not a Jukebox" :P

Hope the punters get the hint :lol:
[/quote]

Alternative name: Not A DJ :D

Bunch of idiots who have no idea that playing music requires learning and rehearsing songs, unlike playing a record, and should stick to the latter.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1343328499' post='1749095']
Being a band jukebox has always been a dream of mine. A book at the front of the stage with a list of all the available songs...request made...band plays track.
[/quote]

You would still need to have that book with the list! But that's a fun idea, although it might encourage idiots to think that any band can play requests, even without a list to choose from...

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1343328499' post='1749095']
Being a band jukebox has always been a dream of mine. A book at the front of the stage with a list of all the available songs...request made...band plays track.
[/quote]

My dad played in a band in the 60s, they'd note down requests and learn them for the next week. Apparently one old guy kept requesting the same song every week, none of the band had even heard of it. They finally found a copy and learnt it. All chuffed they were ready to play it, half way through the set they notice the guy wasn't there.
They asked if anyone knew where he was, someone at the back of the pub told them he'd died the previous week. So my dad's band dedicated the song to him.

Been there done it etc. because our band have been together , on and off , for a long time, we kinda know stuff- sometimes individually more than together, and playing rough and ready pub gigs can be fun/challenging . We do sometims scramble something together on the spot , but as the singer says " we're not a f'in jukebox". We have given in and tried " Sex on Fire" , so that we can slip it in if needed.

A function band I was in drew their sets from a pool of 240 numbers. Luckily while I was with them I was only required to learn around sixty of them, and generally played around forty of them regularly. Initially I needed to learn thirty of them in two weeks, which was interesting.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1343334540' post='1749252']
Ive needed to learn my setlist of 26 songs in a week!!! I have cheated.... Root notes for several, and working on 2-3 tracks a week to make them more interesting/authentic ;)[/quote]

That's going some. :)

This was never a problem with my old function band as we were all good improvisers/buskers and could all read music, so of a request was made we'd promise it after the break, get it on the phone/Internet in the interval and agree a lead sheet and busk it in the second half. If we liked it, it got added to the 'new songs to learn properly in reheasals' list :)

Don't see what the big deal is with requests to be honest. If you're in a function band and play covers that people want, you can't JUST play covers that YOU think are right for the people paying you at the end of the night!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1343335231' post='1749264']
This was never a problem with my old function band as we were all good improvisers/buskers and could all read music, so of a request was made we'd promise it after the break, get it on the phone/Internet in the interval and agree a lead sheet and busk it in the second half. If we liked it, it got added to the 'new songs to learn properly in reheasals' list :)

Don't see what the big deal is with requests to be honest. If you're in a function band and play covers that people want, you can't JUST play covers that YOU think are right for the people paying you at the end of the night!
[/quote]

I see your point, and that's awesome (not everybody would be able to do that). Then again, you may "busk it" only to have the audience object and say (not always to your face) that it sounded nothing like the original or that the guitar solo was unrecognisable etc. I've spent many years in the audience, as opposed to on stage, so I know that that happens - a lot! :mellow:

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1343334540' post='1749252']
Ive needed to learn my setlist of 26 songs in a week!!! I have cheated.... Root notes for several, and working on 2-3 tracks a week to make them more interesting/authentic ;)
[/quote]

Jeez they're getting their money's worth out of you Debs! Well done for already being the most dedicated member of the band.

No point in getting arsey if some drunk punter requests a song , even better if you can bang out a half decent rendition of the requested song . We were playing a real spit and sawdust pub when some drunken chap kept requesting " Comfortably Numb " . The singer / rythm guitarist knew the words /chords so we did the song on spur of the moment with the guitarist shouting out the chord changes as we went along , great fun had by all . The punter came up afterwards and thanked us profusely for our efforts as this was one of his wife's favourite songs and she had passed away a few weeks ago . The band got a round of drinks and we seemed to make this chaps night , I don't think the punters really expect everything to be note perfect anyway .