Why become a member? ×

What's the last bassline you learned?

Doc B

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='270437' date='Aug 26 2008, 05:23 PM']Nothing special I'm afraid - Smells Like Teen Spirit :-)

I'm also chipping away at "Disco Inferno" and "Just" (Radiohead).[/quote]

I love playing Teen Spirit, driving a song on with just 4 notes is a really good exercise.

I've had to learn the set of a band called Victory Red whose bassist is out with tendonitis in his hand, so filling in for a bit. Quite fun... I haven't learnt any basslines in a while, though been meaning to learn some basslines of a Latin Bachata group called Aventura. Solid grooves with some cool licks all over the shop.

Edited by s_u_y_*

Had to learn a different bass line for Worried Life Blues as the one I was using was rubbish.

Had a trawl through my music collection and found a John Lee Hooker version so pinched, ermmm learned that one. Only one problem the Hooker version was in E, we play it in C. So had to invent a link to get me to G at the last bar. Oh and it was for a big gig we had for the Edinburgh Fringe last week as well, so pretty chuffed it's worked. :)

On a side note - Jonsmith that's a cracking looking double neck you have there !

Cheers
Fraser

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='273416' date='Aug 30 2008, 11:38 PM']there's just one bit i can't grasp which is around 2:16 in the song, really fast part. great song to play though![/quote]
Took me and my teacher about 5 minutes to decide that what he played was something along the lines of
-----10-----12-----10---------------------
----------------------------12-----10------
---------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------

[quote name='uptonmark' post='274907' date='Sep 1 2008, 08:29 PM']ashes to ashes - david bowie[/quote]

That little bug of yours nearly gave me a f**king heart attack! Last year I DJed with my laptop at an outdoor festival. I got about six lightening bugs/thrips/small black bugs like felt-tip marks under my screen which promptly died. Had to have the whole top screen section replaced - 17" MacBook Pro! Laptop out of warranty but Apple replaced free of charge, upgraded to glossy screen and replaced a blown battery - £460 worth of repairs gratis!!! You can imagine my initial reaction to your graphics!

[quote name='kdphysio' post='274991' date='Sep 1 2008, 09:54 PM']Some Tom Jones classics; Delilah, Green Green Grass, What's New Pussycat, plus some of the newer, mainstream stuff ala Sex Bomb etc

(for a family birthday gig next month............the Welsh Possie obviously! wink.gif )[/quote]

Tidy, mun.

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='ruztiwarren' post='275064' date='Sep 1 2008, 11:10 PM'][b]That little bug of yours [/b]nearly gave me a f**king heart attack! Last year I DJed with my laptop at an outdoor festival. I got about six lightening bugs/thrips/small black bugs like felt-tip marks under my screen which promptly died. Had to have the whole top screen section replaced - 17" MacBook Pro! Laptop out of warranty but Apple replaced free of charge, upgraded to glossy screen and replaced a blown battery - £460 worth of repairs gratis!!! You can imagine my initial reaction to your graphics![/quote]

you`re not the first to comment on it and you definitely wont be the last :)

Weird one... [i]I Would Have Waited Forever[/i], from the Yes [i]Union[/i] album. I listened to the album the other day, and can't get this one out of my head. The bassist is Tony Levin not quite managing to sound like Chris Squire. I'm tempted to dig out my Funk Fingers to see how they sound. The album as a whole has some very catchy bits on it, but sounds like it was produced by Dr. Frankenstein. :ph34r: