Why become a member? ×

What's the last bassline you learned?

Doc B

[quote name='Doc B' post='190355' date='May 2 2008, 10:53 AM']Shouldn't Quincy Jones get at least some of the credit for that?[/quote]

I am ashamed to say I had no idea who played on the records I just have a compilation CD someone made for me. I know Guy Pratt did some bass for him.

I've been working on "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick", although it's slow going. Fingerstyle is probably my weakest technique, so it's hard to combine the speed and the groove. Which is why I chose the song - if I can get this down, I'll feel like I've taken a big step forward.

Guest oldmallet

[quote name='bassaussie' post='191714' date='May 4 2008, 05:59 PM']I've been working on "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick", although it's slow going. Fingerstyle is probably my weakest technique, so it's hard to combine the speed and the groove. Which is why I chose the song - if I can get this down, I'll feel like I've taken a big step forward.[/quote]

Rythm Stick is mega, saw The Blockheads at South Shields ampitheatre and they were stupendous. Norman Watroy is a helluva player.....mint. Hope you nail it 'cos I couldn't! :) :huh:

[quote name='oldmallet' post='192232' date='May 5 2008, 02:00 PM']Rythm Stick is mega, saw The Blockheads at South Shields ampitheatre and they were stupendous. Norman Watroy is a helluva player.....mint. Hope you nail it 'cos I couldn't! :) ;)[/quote]

I'm getting there. Fortunately there's no pressure, I'm just doing it for bragging rights!!! :huh: But yeah, Norman's a monster player. One of the things I'm noticing is that when I'm playing, the 16s all sound very straight, whereas when you listen to him, there's this great swing to the part. Bastard!!! ;)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='192248' date='May 5 2008, 02:27 PM']The Flecktones' "Sinister Minister." Scary stuff![/quote]

I know a few Flecktones songs. Is that the piece that starts with these really haunting banjo chords? I'll try and check if it's the same song, but yeah, there's some great basslines in their work. I actually think I prefer Vic's playing with the Flecktones to his solo stuff.

Mission by Rush - working on this with my Rush tribute at the moment. Hardest bit seems to be getting the transition from the 5/4 bit under the first guitar solo to the marimba/bass unison part really tight (and the tail end of that part is a bit tricky too). Good fun.

[quote name='jonsmith' post='192410' date='May 5 2008, 07:38 PM']Mission by Rush - working on this with my Rush tribute at the moment. Hardest bit seems to be getting the transition from the 5/4 bit under the first guitar solo to the marimba/bass unison part really tight (and the tail end of that part is a bit tricky too). Good fun.[/quote]
Who are your band? I love Rush. They are the band by which all others are judged.

[quote name='NJE' post='191487' date='May 4 2008, 10:39 AM']I am ashamed to say I had no idea who played on the records I just have a compilation CD someone made for me. I know Guy Pratt did some bass for him.[/quote]

Wikipedia quotes

Bass: Louis Johnson

Louis Johnson is from The Brothers Johnson

I agree that Jacko is an evil genius. Getting Eddie van Halen was a masterstroke. Just look at all the muppets on Youtube trying to do the guitar solo!

I also read somewhere that a guy from British disco band Heatwave wrote Thriller!

[quote name='ednaplate' post='193098' date='May 6 2008, 05:12 PM']Who are your band? I love Rush. They are the band by which all others are judged.[/quote]

I suppose it is our aim to become the Rush tribute by which all others are judged. The downside of this is that we are still in the development stages, so you won't have heard of us (yet). It's sounding really good though...

• 1 month later...