Why become a member? ×

Classic Guitars: Les Pau, SG, Tele or Strat?

ROConnell

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1343163240' post='1746526']
but It's also an SG.. As in Solid Guitar
[/quote]

................ and Les Paul withdrew permission for Gibson to call the SG a Les Paul when he saw it, he hated the shape THAT much!

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1343163240' post='1746526']
but It's also an SG.. As in Solid Guitar
[/quote]

But it only became an SG, after Les Paul refused to put his name to any further guitars made in this shape. If Gibson had had their way all Les Pauls from 1962 onwards would have been this shape.

BTW this is also a Les Paul:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/PIC03736.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1343163467' post='1746532']
................ and Les Paul withdrew permission for Gibson to call the SG a Les Paul when he saw it, he hated the shape THAT much!
[/quote]

Didn't seem to stop him from posing for some publicity photos with them first though...

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/LesPaul_4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/l.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Les-Paul-SG.jpg[/IMG]

If your interested theres some great sound samples of classic guitars and demos of them in different genres via the link below:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=f-4pPWD__-8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=f-4pPWD__-8[/url]

Strat for all round versatility for me - huge amount of sounds available, and great to look at & play.
Give me a two tone late 50's one with a huge maple neck and I'm happy.
A red 335 would be a close second though - Les Paul sounds and a whole lot more...............

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343165183' post='1746564']
Didn't seem to stop him from posing for some publicity photos with them first though...

[/quote]

Well, he's stood next to his wife* in those pix and [i]that[/i] didn't stop him divorcing her around the same time he 'dropped' the Gibson endorsement.

And is that a strap button on the upper horn of Les's guitar? You don't see that anymore either. Gone like the morning mist.

All this proves is that it's unwise to be in a picture with Les Paul, because afterwards you just disappear from the annals of history, as the kid with the snare would widely attest, were he not now lingering in undeserved obscurity and panhandling for pennies to feed his crack habit. I bet his name was Scotty.

In any event, the Telecaster is popular among bass-players because its unassuming personality[sup][size=3]+[/size][/sup] chimes with our (general) nature and because - country music aside - it is unassociated with technical wizardry, flamboyant performance and similar trappings of guitard-ness.

[size=2]* Mary Ford - bit of a lush and a champion plate-thrower as I recall. Thick ankles, too.[/size]
[size=2]+ This despite the recent deplorable trend towards blinging the Tele up to look like a drunken dowager unleashed in TopShop. John 5 Tele, anyone?[/size]

[color=#ffffff][size=2].[/size][/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1343228265' post='1747401']Well, he's stood next to his wife* in those pix ....
[/quote]
Is he really stood next to her? The light on the left of her chest looks to me like the photo was combined from two individual shots.

Not that that observation is at all relevant to anything, even if it's true. :D

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1343233122' post='1747509']
Is he really stood next to her? The light on the left of her chest looks to me like the photo was combined from two individual shots.
[/quote]

In the old days they'd take a pen or brush to photos where the detail is a bit fuzzy. Particularly when you want to draw attention to something like Mary Ford's redoubtable embonpoint but Les has spoiled the shot by leaning forward and trying to cop a 'quick graze'.

Old Les was always into a bit of smut - see below for some raunchy symbolism:

[size=3]Note chicken-head knob clearly visible. Probably Les's own instrument. F'narr f'narr.[/size]

[color=#ffffff][size=3].[/size][/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1343233768' post='1747521']
Note chicken-head knob clearly visible. Probably Les's own instrument. F'narr f'narr.
[/quote]

Also non-standard tail-piece, front mounted jack socket and what looks like an Alnico V rather than P90 pickup in the neck position.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1343233768' post='1747521']....In the old days they'd take a pen or brush to photos where the detail is a bit fuzzy. Particularly when you want to draw attention to something like Mary Ford's redoubtable embonpoint but Les has spoiled the shot by leaning forward and trying to cop a 'quick graze'....[/quote]
Ah, that explains it! You live and learn. :)

Has anyone watched Les & Mary's 50's TV series, sponsored by Listerine? The episodes are up on youtube, and they're fantastically kitschy. In retrospect, the air of domestic bliss is somewhat ironic, but the songs (and the Listerine adverts) are entertaining. I always get Mary Ford confused with Betty Ford though, which would have made things interesting. Anyway, I digress...

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1343228265' post='1747401'][size=2]+ This despite the recent deplorable trend towards blinging the Tele up to look like a drunken dowager unleashed in TopShop. John 5 Tele, anyone?[/size][/quote]

I represent what you're trying to incinerate!

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1343228265' post='1747401']
In any event, the Telecaster is popular among bass-players because its unassuming personality chimes with our (general) nature and because - country music aside - it is unassociated with technical wizardry, flamboyant performance and similar trappings of guitard-ness.
[/quote]

IME the Telecaster is the ultimate "Guitard" instrument, with it's wielders endlessly wobbling on about how "honest", "real" and unpretentious the music they produce with it is.

*Shudders*

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343321226' post='1748967']
IME the Telecaster is the ultimate "Guitard" instrument, with it's wielders endlessly wobbling on about how "honest", "real" and unpretentious the music they produce with it is.

*Shudders*
[/quote]

No, we have all forgotten the PRS.
:o

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1343323533' post='1749012']
I would disagree. Most guitards I have come across have a Super-strat with a Floyd rose and go Widdly widdly weeeeeeeee whilst doing an Irish jig on a multi FX.[/quote]

:lol: Excellently put! I can picture it easily!

IME the vast majority of Tele players see it as a basic workhorse instrument and just get on with it. Still I suppose the likes of Keith Richards, Muddy Waters, Steve Cropper, Wilco, Dave Edmunds, Micky Moody, Hugh Cornwell and a whole list of other "names" wouldn't give a rat's arse what unknowns think of their attitude.
Though to get back on topic all of the above have been seen on a regular basis at some stage in their careers using other guitars too.

Edited by Big_Stu