Why become a member? ×

Classic Guitars: Les Pau, SG, Tele or Strat?

ROConnell

Okay, poll time!

Which of these 'classic guitars' do you like the most? For me it's got to be the Les Paul. A nice, vintage, sunburst LP Standard will do me. :)

I know there are other classics, but people have divided opinions on what's classic or how it qualifies to be so I just picked the 4 most used and recognised models.

Well, SG's are horrendously ugly, the worst guitar I ever owned was a Gibson Les Paul, & I don't get on with Strats because the control layout drives me nuts as I keep accidentally turning the volume down when I'm playing.

Telecaster it is then. :)

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1343078065' post='1745004']
Gretsch Pro - jet
[/quote]

Good point - there should be a Gretsch in your poll.
I'd take a Gretsch 6120 over any of the others & it's certainly a classic.

I used to absolutely hate the look of the SGs, but having dabbled with guitars for many years (mainly from a studio perspective) I tend to favour them now. They're just a great guitar to work with and have loads of tonal versatility. Quite a stable of my favourite players have gone for them too - Angus Young, Zappa, Pete Townsend etc...

Um, I'm having one built next month - quite a U-turn that.

Gotta be a Strat for me, whether vintage or super the contours are massively comfortable and it's the most expressive. I like the Les Paul to play but their tonal character is a bit monotonous & sterile. Tele's are OK sound nice with effects but it's difficult to sweeten that harsh country twang. SG's I don't even consider unless they have P90's but then crunch is the furthest you can push.

Chunky soft V and U necks on Strats and Teles are fantastic with the smaller fretwires. G&L and Charvel are my personal favourites for the Strat style :) .

Edited by Schnozzalee

If I had to get rid of one; it'd be my SG. I've had my Tele longer and I've put more work into it. Though I disagree with the comments re the looks of an SG, not much is cooler than an early 60's SG Junior with single P90 and the curly scratchplate.

The thing is there's a massive range of options within each of these "classic" designs and they all sound and play completely differently.

Just for example take the Les Paul: with P90s, PAF Humbuckers, Mini Humbuckers, 3 Humbuckers, Junior, single cut or double cut? And remember that the SG shaped guitars were originally branded "Les Paul".

So if I had to choose one of the designs from the list it would be a Les Paul double cut with 2 P90s and a Bigsby trem. Hardly the sort of Les Paul the OP had in mind I would imagine.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1343114764' post='1745272']
"
[b] Which of these 'classic' electric guitars do you like the most?"[/b]
[/quote]

I was simply pointing out that there are more "classic" designs than the 4 listed.

I mean as well as the missing Mosrite, where are the Rickenbackers, Firebird, 335 etc?

A very good tele is my favourite, but it has to be very very good (ie have mellowed to a certain extent) and used in conjunction with an amp that is very tele friendly. Recently got tones in the studio with a tele into a Cornford that have been making me smile for days. Big sounds, lots of bite, but never ever remotely harsh.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343116777' post='1745307']
I was simply pointing out that there are more "classic" designs than the 4 listed.

I mean as well as the missing Mosrite, where are the Rickenbackers, Firebird, 335 etc?
[/quote]

But the OP already said "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I know there are other classics, but people have divided opinions on what's classic or how it qualifies to be so I just picked the 4 most used and recognised models. "[/font][/color]

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1343118831' post='1745346']
But the OP already said "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I know there are other classics, but people have divided opinions on what's classic or how it qualifies to be so I just picked the 4 most used and recognised models. "[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Is the SG really more common than the 335/345/355?

And what do you class this as?

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Gibson_Les_Paulsg_1962.jpg[/IMG]