Why become a member? ×

Overrated Bassists.

Josh

[quote name='Kubickiboy' post='189413' date='May 1 2008, 02:29 AM']It's a great question to ask on a forum like this.

Like, for instance, which is better - blue or red? Everyone has an opinion or a preference. And because of that, they're quite open and ready to put their views forward.

Just a shame some people take things too personally, and view someone else's opinion that challenge's their own as an attack.

Allow me this. Going back to a previous post, I don't think the term "Indie" off the back off "Independent" is bad journalism at all. It's in the musical language now, a genre, and recognised. Wouldn't you like to be the person who came up with the word "Punk"?.

For the pot, mine is Billy Sheehan. And Fieldy. Both of them are always out of tune.

But they do have their moments....![/quote]

Out of tune? that's a new one :) Not an attack at your opinion mate just trying to keep it friendly here :huh: It got a bit weird earlier on.

[quote name='Jase' post='189514' date='May 1 2008, 10:15 AM']Out of tune? that's a new one :) Not an attack at your opinion mate just trying to keep it friendly here :huh: It got a bit weird earlier on.[/quote]
Thanks for the thumbs-up guys. There's nothing better than a healthy debate. And it's interesting to hear other people's opinions.
There are loads of players out there that we've all heard of and who are making a good living. Everyone of them are there for a reason so they've all got something that's helped (musicianship, technique, image, genius....) so you can't deny them that.
I know I haven't made a million quid, sold a truckload of CDs, or made the cover of a magazine from my playing so hats off to those who have.

[quote name='Kubickiboy' post='189413' date='May 1 2008, 02:29 AM']Wouldn't you like to be the person who came up with the word "Punk"?.[/quote]

That would be Shakespeare. Well, the earliest recorded use of the word is in The Merry Wives of Windsor.

[quote name='jono b' post='190175' date='May 2 2008, 12:02 AM']That would be Shakespeare. Well, the earliest recorded use of the word is in The Merry Wives of Windsor.[/quote]
Good call. WS was a journalist and a reporter of his time. He recorded the news and put it onstage for the masses. Albeit with poetic flare.

The internet and papers weren't an option then. So what is the best way to get exposure? Go through the media. Then - twas the theatre, hearsay, and societal connections.

Never be afraid of opinion. Never be afraid of criticism.

...just never take it home...!

[quote name='Kubickiboy' post='190201' date='May 1 2008, 05:30 PM']Good call. WS was a journalist and a reporter of his time. He recorded the news and put it onstage for the masses. Albeit with poetic flare.

The internet and papers weren't an option then. So what is the best way to get exposure? Go through the media. Then - twas the theatre, hearsay, and societal connections.

Never be afraid of opinion. Never be afraid of criticism.

...just never take it home...![/quote]

A good lesson to aspire to!

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='189521' date='May 1 2008, 10:24 AM']John Myung.

His lack of eyebrows also freaks me out.[/quote]
I can't tell if he's overrated or not... I can never bloody hear him... :huh:
On the odd occasions when he does poke his head through the mix, my first thought is always "Ye gods, what a [i]terrible[/i] bass sound..." :)

[quote name='artisan' post='190527' date='May 2 2008, 02:01 PM']Lemmy now i reckon he is extremely over rated (in my own personal opinion of course)
mind would you class him as a bass player or just a noisey b*stard :)[/quote]

Yeah, a bit loud, Lemmy would probably call himself a noisey b**tard :huh:

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='187899' date='Apr 29 2008, 11:06 AM']Mani said he was the greatest bass player in the world. He was.

It's been proven. By science.[/quote]

It certainly has. :)

Definitely keeping the instrument in people's faces & pushing the bass up to the front.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='193076' date='May 6 2008, 04:57 PM']Flea. I appreciate what he does but he's very arrogant with it and that puts me off totally.[/quote]

I wouldn't say he's arrogant, if anything it comes across more like he's just having a good time doing what he does, I'm just not the biggest fan of what he does :)

IMO John Entwistle always came across pretty arrogant.

Edited by Josh

• 1 year later...

oh well, my two penneth won't count for much here...

Mark King is my hero. End of.

Overated? I haven't seen him match Jamerson for feel, and his version or 'sunshine of your love' was sh*te. But i like the guy, and his playing.

Stu Hamm for me, hate that tapping bollocks, and i hate his rendition of slap.
Bill Dickens, sounds like a drinks carton stuck in a BMX wheel, and what's wrong with 4 stings, you bald twat?
Flea is quickly dissapearing up his own arse.
Rocco Prestia, i get it, but i don't care, i loved the 'tower of power' live dvd where the blind keys player gets up and does the bass portion of the 'solo's'.
Adam Nitti, over technical, music as sport. I could noodle in key, and different time sigs without worry, so why the accolade?
TM Stevens, messy.

Opinons are tough, diversity should be the order of the day, but it's hard not to form that opinion. Hmm, i'm a walking contadiction.

Edited by AndyTravis

This thread is kind of odd.

I think that virtually all bass players are underrated, because it's the instrument in your standard rock band that gets most overlooked by non-musicians. Even keyboard players get an occasional "Jump" or "Final Countdown" moment.

So yeah, in order for a bass player to be overrated, I'd say he has to be rated in the first place. So which bass players are rated?

- Flea: He isn't overrated. Most of the people I talk to hate his playing. Other musos hate his playing because he's all over the place. Bassists hate his playing because he's got a bag of standard tricks that he never varies from. Me? I quite like him, because he's accomplished the rare feat of distinguishing himself as a noteworthy bass player without having to be an incredible technical wizard.

- Les Claypool. Well, I say Les Claypool, but if you say "Les Claypool" to anyone but other bassists (who dislike him for the same reasons they dislike Flea) or the small handful of Primus fans (who like him because he writes interesting music, not because he's a great bassist), most people won't have a clue who you're on about.

- John Paul Jones: I don't see how it's possible for a bass player who spent the band's most famous tracks more or less backing the rhythm guitar to be overrated.

- Lemmy: I've never, EVER heard ANYONE talk about what a great bass player Lemmy is.

- Paul McCartney: He's arguably overrated as a Beatle, but then you might argue that he made some of the better contributions to that band.

I could go on, but eventually I'd run into "musician's musician" territory, i.e. Myung, Miller and so on. Maybe they're overrated, because they're always spoken of in terms of technique and never in terms of the songs they've written, but even then opinion is so divided that they hardly benefit from universal praise.

ok, I'll play in the spirit of these things

Nathan East... very predictable, no sparkle and not my cup of tea
Nathan Watts messy.... but has played some killer lines.
Entwhistle when all hell is breaking loose with Moon and Townsend, what does he do.... noodle? Admittedly, it wouldn't work any other way, but ...jeez...!!!
Verdine White Playing in his brothers band with 51 takes...

but..very successfull, albeit courtesy on one main gig, mostly.

Mmmm..... I don't think it matters if all you can do is play 4 notes on the E string. Being a professional bass player (i.e. your day job and not having to work in a bloody call centre) is only partly about actually playing the bass. Anybody's who'se up there doing it - well good luck to 'em I say :)

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='670724' date='Dec 1 2009, 08:22 AM']I can't quite get my head around the fact that some people on here,a Bass forum,think James Jamerson is overrated. :)
Even if you dislike Motown,with the number of hits the label had you'd have to say that he is the most underrated Bass player that ever walked the planet.[/quote]

Strange thread this- like what is overated?- seems to me this thread is about technique not musical ability. Theres a quote on here that says Jamerson would be a better bass player if he played with two fingers- no doubt some bright spark will say he would be better if he slapped or double thumbed. Both suggestions however will miss the point its not how you play but WHAT you play. There will never be another as successful as Jamerson and his music will be listened to in 100 years- same as the beatles and mozart. Can you say the same about Level 42 ( I still think Mark King is a terrific bass player though) - but its just chops.

Bob

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='670691' date='Dec 1 2009, 02:45 AM']and what's wrong with 4 strings, you bald twat?[/quote]

That's seriously uncalled for if you ask me.

Seems like a humble guy from what I've seen.