Why become a member? ×

Got a bonus from work!

Evil Undead

So, now that I've paid my vet bill, I think I would like to add a J pickup to my P bass.

I would want both pickups to have separate volumes (so I could turn either one right off if I wanted to), and for the tone to still control the P pickup to get the full range of P only tones. I would basically only want to have the J pickup there to add a bit of versatility for when I want to play disco or pop stuff.

Does anyone think this is a bad idea? Should I just find a cheap Jazz bass instead of molesting my pride and joy Precision? I don't really like the look of the J pickup on a P bass, but love the idea of having a "one fits all" bass.

Also, any idea what this would cost me? I can't do this type of job myself. I want to replace the P pickup with an SPB-3 and the J pickup would be SJB-3

I've never found a J pickup to blend well with a P; often I'll get a solo'd sound I like but it then vanishes in the mix. A MM seems to blend better...all this is a matter of taste of course.

edit: my PJ has the very same pickups as you mention. Each sounds good on its own.

Why not look out for a cheapo P body to try it on, borrow the neck from your lovely bass, so you can restore your P [s]when you realise[/s] if it doesn't work?

Edited by bremen

Mel, sorry if this sounds a bit off, but given the situation you're in at the moment in your bad luck thread, would you not be better off squirreling that money away just in case? I don't know how big or small it was, but maybe it might be the first step in getting out of the area you live in, then you have a plan to work towards which will lift your spirits and get you a more relaxed life when it comes to fruition. That said, the temptation to treat oneself can be overwhelming, but it doesn't last, and nor does the pleasure of acquisition.

However, great news you got a bonus at the exact time you needed it! That could not have been better timed!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1342786688' post='1740910']
Mel, sorry if this sounds a bit off, but given the situation you're in at the moment in your bad luck thread, would you not be better off squirreling that money away just in case? I don't know how big or small it was, but maybe it might be the first step in getting the f*** out of the area you live in, then you have a plan to work towards which will lift your spirits and get you a more relaxed life when it comes to fruition. That said, the temptation to treat oneself can be overwhelming, but it doesn't last, and nor does the pleasure of acquisition.

However, great news you got a bonus at the exact time you needed it! That could not have been better timed!
[/quote]

Ditto. I think it's great news, and obviously reflects some superb effort - so there was a silver lining to that cloud you were telling us about!

I'd pocket it for now. See how it goes :)

FWIW I have an old Antoria precision copy. Its previous owner added a J pickup close to the bridge, with a pickup selector which did one, the other, or both. I found myself using the J pickup on its own more than any of the other 2 positions. This could be for a variety of reasons including the original P-type was crap like the rest of the instrument and the J-type was a good'un, but I found the P-type muddy and lacking definition. Sometimes using both on at once would add extra weight to the sound.

Good luck with finding the wisest thing to do with your bonus. IMO whatever makes the biggest contribution to the long term plan of improving your life is the best bet, even if not as exciting as more GAS.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1342786086' post='1740901']
In my opinion there is no such thing as a 'one fits all bass'.
And since you asked; yes, I think this is a bad idea! :D
[/quote]
+1
[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1342786277' post='1740904']
I've never found a J pickup to blend well with a P [/quote]
+1
Aye don't get your bass butchered!
Instead why not go for a 2nd hand Squier PJ Special if you really want to experiment?
I had one which I upgraded the pup's in and to be honest it still sounded crap, ended up playing it with the J pup turned off.
and yeah I'm older than 30. :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1342798244' post='1741188']...it will retain more value as it is....[/quote]

Another good reason to leave the router in the shed. Router-in-the-Shed... it's a small village in Gloucestershire.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1342797913' post='1741179']
I still don't get it :( help an old girl out here![/quote]

It's just one of those things that turns out to be true. I think when you're young you crank the bridge pickup in an attempt to stand out and be heard, but when you're no longer shooting for 'whiz kid' status you realise it's more important to make the band sound good, and a nasal parping sound doesn't really do that.

Ah ok, now I get it. Thanks guys :)

I like the "nasal parping" (best analogy ever, by the way) on a few songs but I must admit I much prefer the P tone overall.

I'm not gonna consider the mod any further then. I shall save this cash towards moving house, and I'll look in to making myself a parts Jazz at some point in the future (black J body with maple USA P neck mmmm)

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1342799282' post='1741223']
I'll look in to making myself a parts Jazz at some point in the future...[/quote]

Very good. Then you can easily move it on when you realise you don't need a J-bass! :P ;)
*hides behind sofa with saucepan on head*

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1342799459' post='1741234']
Very good. Then you can easily move it on when you realise you don't need a J-bass! :P ;)[/quote]

+1. Hideous things that they are!